Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Matisyahu a true Jew?

Posted by TC 
TC
Is Matisyahu a true Jew?
March 28, 2006 12:35AM
The contro about the music is one thing? Is Matis appropriating
the culture same way Pat Boone sh*t all over the blues?

But on the deeper level whats Matis represent? Even deeper
than the guy disrespecting the Hola herb. What kind of Jew
Matis? His set of Lubavitch Hassid are stubborn supporter of
the Israeli brutish occupation of the Palestine people.
They are allied with the same U.S. Calvary who kill off the
Native Indians and now are killing off brown-skin baby in Iraq
and anywere else they can sink in their fangs.

Listen people. Time short. Know what you deal with! This is not
an anti-Jew thing. This is an anti-Zionist-fascist thing.

If Matis want to keep with his Jewish culture - no problem but
he should line up with some True Jews. www.nkusa.org
There are a few decent True Jew - check it !

Anyone has the opportunity to question Matis about these
matter - that would be good.
wake up and live
TC
Re: Is Matisyahu a true Jew?
March 28, 2006 12:40AM

Who cares?

Matis could ask you: What kind of Rasta / Christian / Buddhist / Wiccan, etc. are YOU? What kind of human are YOU?

-s
baldhed
March 28, 2006 12:59AM
he wont even shake a woman's hand..
what a batty

religion=division

just like puttin your giant sticker on the back of your truck...
who cares what brands you like??

seems everyone gotta latch onto something..

holy scriptures were written in a time of mass slavery, feminine inferiority, etc.
humans werent too smart then..

sure a little of that still goes on today, but not of that magnitiude.

think for yourself, dont be a pusssy
March 28, 2006 01:00AM
"humans werent too smart then.."

Based on what everyone sees on a regular basis nowadays, can you really claim people in general are that much smarter now?

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
baldhed
March 28, 2006 01:08AM
people are much crazier & smarter too!
March 28, 2006 01:10AM
Case in point ras james: Pat Robertson

Michael
TR-808
March 28, 2006 01:11AM

> can you really claim people in general are that much smarter now?

well, you can type that question into a computer making it immediately readable to millions or more readers

seems like someone had to be fairly smart to get that to work

--
March 28, 2006 01:19AM
"seems like someone had to be fairly smart to get that to work"

Now if we can just figure out how to get zoki to work?
March 28, 2006 01:27AM
Good point Ras James...sounds like some very "smart" people are forgetting that as far as knowledge goes we are standing on the shoulders of thousands of years of philosophers and scientists...and yes, religious thinkers, who when it really comes down to it laid the foundations of how we should be treating one another.

Oh yes, the Israeli Neturei Karta are full-blown hypocritical nutcases who sponge their welfare checks off the state of Israel all the while condemning it. Last photo I saw of any of them, some of their 'rabbis' were on a stand along with Iran's president and his ministers. I guess they were urging him to hurry up with that nuclear weapons program. They would be the last people in the world I'd ask for religious or political advice.
March 28, 2006 01:44AM
>hey TC im all forward to U keeping your own guns but remember there are alot of differnt kind of ras/rastas just like jews & so on who ALL share the luv for music & free expression so dont vex across the border here cause iNi ALL must live as 1 no matter that i* personaly dont really care much to very lill' for any of the music he or sony records has produced*

-RASpects+
March 28, 2006 01:58AM
Modern-day "Israel" is merely the latest in many, many lands which have been invaded, stolen & colonized by white-skinned people over their dark-skinned fellow human beings with religion being used as justification.
The Holocaust was merely used as a sympathy ploy for support, much like Busheney's usage of the 9-11 tragedy.

March 28, 2006 02:36AM
I would agree with Ras James: Homo sapiens is nowhere near as "smart" as it continually tries to convince itself it is. We keep evolving though so there is hope for those who can survive and evolve to the next stage...Homo veritas.

I agree with Chimino that "the holocaust" (as though it were the only holocaust) was exploited brilliantly to gain public support for the formation of Israel. There have been plenty of holocausts. They are all bad. I say focus on stopping the ones currently under way now: Darfur, Congo, Venezuela, Iraq etc. Then we can erect memorials to the 10 million Africans who died at the hands of King Leopold, the 40 million Chinese who died at the hands of Mao, the 12 million Russians who died at the hands of Stalin, the 100 million Native Americans who died in North America and on and on...
March 28, 2006 05:42AM
lets just kill everyone and start over

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
baldhed
March 28, 2006 05:43AM
Chimino -<The Holocaust was merely used as a sympathy ploy for support>

not that i disagree, but i think "merely" was a bad choice of words.
March 28, 2006 06:28AM
Shot from the lip here, huh?
Hasdic Jews are to some a fundamentalist branch of Judaism.
It is also express of pure joy in love of G-d.
Sure many of customs to western Europeans seem strange,
like men-women separation, chosen marriages, focus on torah.
Step out and read a bit about cultures.
I learn about Jamican ways that to others seem just as strange
but not to me.
Embrace all these cultures before corporations bulldoze them into extinction like the dodo bird.
Actually, fundamentalist Jews opposed creation of a Zionist state as secular and blasphemy (sp.) against waiting until the return of the Messiah.
Palestinians and Jews shed each others blood over the same sacred land.
Jews occupy now with might and reverse it and would Arab rule any different?
I oppose Israel's treatment of Palestinians but oppose both sides violence.
When has might made right?
March 28, 2006 06:34AM
Yes I,
For Jah say we should judge not!

ONE LOVE...PEACE
GWANDEN
March 28, 2006 06:49AM
What Is a true jew? What Is a true Rastafarian? Well how about his music lets ask ourselves how he blends his style and beliefs into what people are listening to lately. Does anyone really feel a connection to his lyrics and think he sends a positive/consience vibe or is he a rasta in jews clothing? Isn't it better to stick to the actual belief that you are trying to express all the while not mis-representing yourself or confusing people? I can only work on my attitude everyday and try my best not tojudge. I have not listened to enough of his music to really understand his entire message, but he is onto something interesting!All claims aside.
March 28, 2006 07:10AM
What is culture in the US of A but very malleable? We not Orthodox anything here in Cali but fusion stew for most of us. I learn from many different sources. If I maintain respect and show support, can I come to the party? Hasidism is about cleaving to G-d and manifesting your joy. Matis must be getting approval from his community's Rebbes and Rabbis o/w he would not be getting the support he is, at least that is my guess. Matis doesn't appear to me as Rasta, don't get that connection. Yeah he do reggae shows and sings with roots artist but don't see a Rastaman when I saw him.

I haven't been able to find my spirit in his music. I study Kaballah and can appreciate what he is doing but I'm not on his wavelenght musically or spiritually as of this moment. I have seen my own teenager get into him and that the Jewish community seem to be encouraging their teenagers that Matis is acceptable.
March 28, 2006 02:37PM
this is what I am talking about, yo have someone who puts up a post that is based in ignorance and hate. Someone who knows little to nothing about the history of Israel. Someone who condemns a man based on what others do. Then you have someone who actually called him a fag because his faith will not allow him to shake a woman's hand. If in fact that is true it seems similar to how Bobo (I believe) sepoerate themselves from women during their period because they believe them to be unclean.

The Holocaust was used, you mean kind of like how blacks used slavery to have all of the fine benefits that we have now? this statement is just not consistent. Not to mention, I have sympathy for them, just like I sympathy for Palestine, just like I have sympathy for all peoples who have suffered greatly.
March 28, 2006 02:50PM
I have reasoned again and again with my Queen about this, and we both cannot get around the fact that: Matis being caucasian and Jewish, helped greatly in his marketing. It is a fact, and not a anti-semetic statement, that there are many Jewish people in the media market, t.v., radio, etc. Matis is a white Jew, and I have a gut feeling that if he was a dark skinned African who professed Rastafari, he would not get half the marketing that Matis does. And I do not limit the above statement to Matis alone: Marley (light skin, both Damian and Bob)), Big Mountain, UB40, etc. Also, there are plenty of conscious Reggae/hip-hop artists that are black and do not get the hype Matis does. Who does the media bring forth as a respresentitive of a dark-skin African? Shaba Ranks and his dutty talk.

And no, I am not a hater.

"They're @#$%& with Ice Tea, but they don't even care, Eric Clapton's singing ' I Shot the Sheriff' !"

---------------------------------------------------------

Post Edited (03-28-06 07:46)
March 28, 2006 03:16PM
Good Reasoning J 72. I have no problem with a statement like that, because it can be proven or disproven. I would have to say thought that a lot of Dark Skinned artists have been given a shot. Bounty Killer is a prime example of this. He could have blown the doors off of the "mainstream" after he hit with No Doubt on that track Hey Baby, but he wanted nothing to do with them after the whole anaked man incident. Beenie Man has blown up to where has just as much air time as Matis, same thing with Buju. There are a lot of Dark skinned people in Hip Hop Music, is there a doubt that Eminem being white helped market him? no, or at least there shouldn't be. BUT if Eminem couldn't lay it down he would have been run off the stage along time ago. Same thing goes for Matis, he has to be good because if he is not he will be run as soon as the next big thing comes along. My problem is with this whole subject line, not whether or not people like his music. People questioning if he is a real jew as if they are experts on being a true anything. I can only judge you by what I know, what I know about Matis is that he seems consistent in his words and actions. This is more than I can say for about 90% of Reggae's top artists.
March 28, 2006 03:44PM
The fact that Bounty Killer had to go through a white band is a good example of what I am reasoning about. Matis did not have to go through any other band to get the kind of marketing he did. Also, Bounty Killer is not the most conscious of artists, which is another example of what I was reasoning about regarding consious artists and the mainstream media. And yes, I agree 100% about practicing what they preach about in their songs!

------------------------------------------

Post Edited (03-28-06 07:45)
March 28, 2006 03:51PM
true bu bounty is a from Yard. Matis is from Brooklyn, NY. if you come from a foriegn it will take some work to get on, if you are from the media capital of the world and you speak perfect english you have a leg up. Again I have no doubt that the media powers forward Matis because he is a novelty to them, but whether or not he is a novelty remains to be seen. If he can get to platinum status with Youth it will be hard to make the case agianst him. If his sales just tale off and he is back playing clubs like dante's here in PO, then I will have to agree. I just think that we have to use the same standard. Is Eek a Mouse a novelty because of his voice? What about reggae artists in general, are they a novelty because of that funny way they speak English?
bee
March 28, 2006 04:47PM
<Re: Is Matisyahu a true Jew?>

I am a true, what?
I am a True Fu-shcnick
I am a true, what?
I am a True Fu-shcnick

March 28, 2006 06:43PM

>
Yes I,
For Jah say we should judge not!
<

I hope this actually works: I plan on using it in a few hours when I have to report to jury duty...

-s
jb welda
March 28, 2006 07:10PM
actually spleece if you answer all their questions with citations from the bible i predict you will not have to worry about being on a jury at all, ever.

on the other hand serving on a jury was one of the most interesting experiences ive had in the past few years.

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 09:04PM

I have served on a jury before: exactly why I didn't wanna go through it again.

I just got back from telling the judge that no man can judge any other man: that only the Most High really knows that man's situation. i then proceeded to tell him how white males run things, so the only reason the guy was on trial was because he is brown, and if he did steal that car, it's probably because he needed to feed his family.

He dismissed me right away!

-s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login