Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

inna dancehall style

Posted by yellow hammer 
yellow hammer
inna dancehall style
June 21, 2004 11:08AM

one of stone loves selektors on saturday...big up.

how did he finsish up the night? we had to go around 1:30.

it looked like he was gonna nice up the place.

much love Sierra Nevada RESPECT
Re: inna dancehall style
June 21, 2004 11:22AM
I'm more interested in hearing how Downbeat played Friday night.

Respect
give thanks jah
June 21, 2004 11:52AM
Downbeat on Friday night was one of my personal highlights! Tony Screw has some wicked dub specials... woah!

respect to Alton Ellis, Carlton Livingston & Brigadier Jerry ... mashed up the session!
June 21, 2004 01:26PM
Sabbatical Ahdah was off the hook.. it was too bad the selectahs couldn't get the beats right.. but that bredren was on fire still!!! More big Ups to the St. Croix massive for coming through!
side watcher
June 21, 2004 03:09PM
i think Sabbatical needed his own set with band...
yeh, the jah warrior selectors (big up) should have got the beats riddims right..
June 21, 2004 03:37PM
Burning Spear's set ran late, and Sabbat wanted to wait for the crowd to build before starting. As a result, he ended up doing his (far too brief) set with Stone Love at the controls.

Jah Warrior Shelter Hi-Fi was fully prepared to lay down the right beats for Sabbattical Ahdah.... Stone Love had never heard of him before.

Sabbattical is staying in california for a short while and is in the process of putting together some dates both up here and in southern california, and be on the lookout for some new materials from him real soon.
June 21, 2004 06:58PM
While friday's dancehall had dissipated by closing, saturday's extravaganza was still packed when they stopped the music at 3 a.m.! Afterparty looked and sounded like an excellent chillout session, with folks seated in circles, and beautiful, psychedelic dub. Pity I had to sleep.
June 21, 2004 09:39PM
Wow, Alton Ellis on Downbeat sound. That is something else. Really wish I could've heard it first-hand.
June 21, 2004 09:51PM
yaow..look yah.....sABBATICAl ahdah an' crew..nick negas and dem man deh....they released a next VI breddah 'pon de scene.....and him mash it up! is too bad rory aint reaLUIZE THAT JAMAICA ISNT the only place where reggae ah flow outta.......and watching rory suck him teeth was like watching a man who nevha know wha' him dealing wid.......st. croix music ah de real ting breddah! crucians bussin' out...yu cyaaaaaan't stop it iyah...so to all yard man who doh check di vibes......one ting..."if yu cyaan't beat dem, join dem"
jbwelda
June 21, 2004 11:21PM
so chimino, you didnt go or what?

one love
jah bill
June 22, 2004 12:03AM
Alton wasn't anything special Chimino, but Briggy and Carlton set it off. Then we got an encore the next day on the valley stage. Alton just did a brief cameo. Downbeat was nice but the hall seemed a little empty. You missed a little Red Foxx action with Maxi Priest too and need I say anything about Gentlemen people? Wake the town and tell the people!!!! This German gone Germaican!!!!!!

How was Barbados Chimono?
June 22, 2004 12:36AM
"Alton wasn't anything special"

Perhaps he didn't give a stellar performance, but there was a reason that Tony Screw was so excited he at first couldn't find the rhythm he was looking for - Alton Ellis practically never performs on sound systems. You quite possibly witnessed his first and last time on Downbeat. To me, that's something a little special.
June 22, 2004 10:29AM
Yeah - his voice was a little rough - but we knew all knew it, and he got up there anyway - BIG UP! I thought he sounded pretty good on the first tune - but by the second (after having performed a whole set earlier) his voice was breaking up. Oh well - that stuff happens (I sing too) - at least he tried his best, and it is still a memory for me...thanks Alton!

I also thought Carlton could have gotten more love from the crowd... the General was obviously a crowd fav., but switching back and forth between the styles always brings more to the table, and they were both hitting it very nice!
jb welda
June 22, 2004 10:43AM
the strange thing about alton was that during rehearsals his voice was sweet and smooth. i think the dry air (he is used to the uk) and dust messed up his voice by the time his actual stage show, and subsequent appearance in the dancehall, happened. its a shame really because he is capable of much better and he himself seemed pretty disappointed by the developments.

one love
jah bill
Zana
June 22, 2004 02:08PM
I have a question about the dancehall. I checked in there both Friday and Saturday evenings. Both times there was only a DJ playing, no live singers. Are there live singers in the dancehall?
I'm still new at this and I didn't want to miss the late night shows I've heard so much about from last year. But on Saturday night, there was a DJ that was playing older tracks (maybe he mixed them up, I didn't stay long) and he kept screaming in the microphone over the song. His microphone was turned up a lot louder than the music too. He never let a whole song play and was constantly yelling, I never could understand what he was saying either. I had to leave when he did that over one of my favorite U-roy songs.

Is this what the late night dancehall is? Or was it just that particular DJ. I couldn't handle all of his screaming over the music but I guess maybe that is what the style is. I would rather just hear the music and not the DJ. If is was a dub and he was singing/chanting over it that would be different but he played lyrical songs and was talking over them.

Please, someone educate me on this. I hear so much good things about the late night dancehall but I seem to be missing what's going on. Thanks!
June 22, 2004 02:13PM

that was Rory of Stone Love there on Saturday night.

>> maybe that is what the style is

yes.
June 22, 2004 03:05PM
Roastin and Toastin - yeah Zana... the singers drop by for visits only, although many make special recordings for the various systems that you can't hear anyplace else (usually throwing the sound systems name in somewhere). The selector goes off of the crowd reaction - if he pulls a song and the people react the song will usually start right back up. If he sees many wandering off after a song - he may interupt to keep their attention, or switch songs to forward the vibes. Some selectors sing over dubplates too (many ARE singers). Next time bring a dancing partner or two - it's more fun like that!
June 22, 2004 03:32PM
I hear you. The German went off! The whole place was bouncing!
June 22, 2004 05:31PM
Personally, I dont like the so-called Rory style that much.

The gruff voice screaming gets very annoying in a hurry for me.

And on top of that, the groove is constantly interupted if you are trying to dance.

Its pretty much a Jamaican cultural thing...In Jamaica, when people go to the dancehall, not many dance, believe it or not. I was just at the Asylum night club in Kingston and Stone Love was there. The place was packed and on the dance floor there was just a line of about eight guys doing the latest dances, thunderclap, scoobie doo, pon de river, etc. with only about two females and a guy behind the line dancing.
June 22, 2004 08:40PM
whats up bill, 420....

No, I didn't have the $ to take the time off work and make it up there. BIM was real nice, got to see my 2nd fam down there, but it wasn't nearly long enough & still readjusting to life in Babylon.

Anyway, good to hear you all had a great time, and that Brigi & Carlton were added to give Downbeat belly in addition to the heaviest foundation dub box in the world.

yellow hammer
June 24, 2004 09:54AM

ok i was feelin Rory is he from JA?

he brought the yardie vibes. BIG UP.

the interjections on the mic were nice. felt like an island scene. i remember he keep talking about a george nooks?

can anyone clarify?
June 24, 2004 10:12AM
downbeats real dj set only lasted about an hour but waz irie to the maxx. carlton & jerry set the pace ofcourse while ellis hit it in very modest but the ras named Junior P "capped" it with more fyah in sum itez vibrationz ! besides obvious soundsystem problems in vocal line & a stack of speakers with no sub action the show waz FUN. just fun datz all it waz no clash,no bash just pure niceness the way it should alwayz be in the dancehall.
Rich "DJ Spleece" Moore
June 24, 2004 10:27AM

Jah Bill, was Junior P there?
jb welda
June 24, 2004 10:32AM
no one consulted me spleece...

one love
jah bill
solid rock
June 24, 2004 10:33AM

yes he was there
Rich "DJ Spleece" Moore
June 24, 2004 10:47AM

I remember doing a show a few years back in Fresno with Fidel Nadal. Junior P just showed up un-announced with HR from Bad Brains and they just RIPPED it! Junior P also did a few tunes with Fidel Nadal when Fidel play at SNWMF a few years ago. He's really good.

-spleece
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login