Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MARLON ASHER

Posted by King 
King
MARLON ASHER
March 28, 2006 09:08AM
BLessed Love and Greetings in the name of the Most High...Jah Rastafari.
This year would be great to have an act like Marlon Asher from Trinidad- the "Ganjah Farmer" himself!!
What do you all think?

I found someone who books him when I was searching on line:
www.onehouse.ca/raga

you can see his picture, bio, and hear some hot tracks
SNWMF needs to book this artist this year!!!
Empress1
Re: MARLON ASHER
March 28, 2006 09:10AM
YEAH! Jah know---he's a hot new artist, it would be great to see him perform
jb welda
March 28, 2006 09:14AM
has he got anything out beside the single?

one love
jah bill
black-I
March 28, 2006 09:21AM
He's got another song on the same riddim as "Ganjah Farmer" it's called: "I love You"...it's for the ladies

And he got a few others out as well, I heard he's supposed to drop an album this year
BG
March 28, 2006 10:17AM
actually, what wouldnt be a bad idea at all, is to bring a trini grouping of artists...
marlon asher, khari kill, bunji garlin, machel montano...and let them have their time at the SNWMF.
jb welda
March 28, 2006 10:23AM
>He's got another song on the same riddim as "Ganjah Farmer" it's called: "I love
>You"...

yes this is on the same single i have. though i think i had heard he first released ganja farmer on another single with a dub on the b side, not sure about that.

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 10:29AM
yeh man marlon asher would be a great artist to have and maybe bascom x
fantan mojah, choppa chop, khari kill it would make SNWMF even more better
not saying it's not good already it's great we got a lot of classic artists

Jah Bless
RasOne
March 28, 2006 10:46AM
That Marlon Asher "I Love You" on the Ganja Farmer riddim is horrible.

Jah Bill, if i remember right there was a Raw Mix side on the flip of the "1st" issue of the single.

Although I like the Ganja Farmer song, remember that his voice was "vocodered" and the I Love You song showed his real voice, which really wasn't that great.

One love
eric v
jb welda
March 28, 2006 10:59AM
ive read before that his voice was manipulated on ganga farmer but for the life of me i dont hear it. im not doubting it but i still dont hear it or at least it doesnt seem that obvious. (when i think of "vocoder" i think of the level of like "frampton comes alive" or some terrible stuff like that.) i agree on the other song though; not much to my taste. in fact the riddim itself doesnt do much for me but the lyrics to ganga farmer are A class style and i love the song itself in total even if some of the components are lacking. thats why i asked if he had more stuff out; i would like to hear more before i make a decision on whether the "youthman with a hot temper" (love it) does it for me or not.

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 11:09AM
2004/2005--the year of the vocoder...yeah, that vocoder is all over ganja farmer, and way too many other tunes. i have a single with capleton's voice on vocoder and it is sooo bad. i mean bad in a bad way! too overused lately.

m.

BG
March 28, 2006 11:13AM
down with the vocoder!
Nanko's Lucky you has it, gyptians tunes use it, ganja farmer DEFINATELY uses it, Sizzla used it nuff last year.......and who else....hmm.....oh yeah, Cher used it.
jb welda
March 28, 2006 11:15AM
i dont really care; in this case the quality comes through despite it all. now y'all are going to ruin it for me! :-)

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 11:25AM
Do not worry JB, Shaggy has not started using it..... From a strictly musical standpoint that is...
pale ryder
March 28, 2006 11:26AM
Cher sounded like a sick nanny goat with that effect.....
BG
March 28, 2006 11:31AM
HA!
jb welda
March 28, 2006 11:44AM
>Cher sounded like a sick nanny goat with that effect.....

versus how she sounds without it?

norcaljahman im unsure of your point but im sure you got one somewhere somehow. ps: shaggys label relicks of stop that train and in particular his stand up for your rights were my favorite tracks of the year that year but i suppose you never heard those.

yawn.

one love
jah bill
pale ryder
March 28, 2006 11:50AM
Without it she sounds just like a goat
March 28, 2006 11:57AM
Shaggy on the Cry Baby riddim wasn't that bad either.

JB, I'm surprised that you cannot hear the vocoder on Ganja Farmer, it is VERY VERY obvious, you can even hear the "electronic staccato" from his voice when he carries a note. Probably one of the more prominent vocoder tunes that I can think of.

I think the Shaggy on the Return riddim (aka Stop That Train) was called Stand Up and Fight ?? (Great tune and riddim)

One love
eric v
jb welda
March 28, 2006 12:03PM
shaggy: stand up and fight/version (7"winking smiley (vp) (stop that train)

eric it appears you are 100% correct and i am, errrr, somewhat less correct.

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 12:33PM
That would make the score 100,000 you and 1 me then Jah Bill

hahaha

Take care, stay dry !!

One love
eric v
March 28, 2006 04:30PM
Marlon Asher has a couple of other good tunes on the "Local Conscious" compilation CD's...."Love of Jah" is in fact a standout track. None of his other songs have "altered" vocals either.

There's some other really good Trini artists on these discs such as Khari Kill, Prophet Benjamin, Jah Melody and I-Sasha that are well worth hearing.

Respect-

DJ Bahilman
March 28, 2006 06:46PM
Not so fast on the down with the vocoder talk yet BG. One more tune coming that's bubblin under the radar.

Tunes I've got of Marlon's - Locked Out, Jah Love, Ganja Farmer, Jah Tabernacle, Memories, Ganja Farmer (Reggaeton Remix) featuring Rawwted, I Love You featuring Rawwted, I Believe, I Love You (Version 2), Ganja Farmer (Urban Smoky Room Remix).

fourtwentyplenty
jb welda
March 29, 2006 09:21AM
where did you get them fourtwenty? 7" singles?

one love
jah bill
March 29, 2006 10:19AM
I would be very interested on details or hearing:

Ganja Farmer (Urban Smoky Room Remix)

Ganja Farmer (Reggaeton Remix) featuring Rawwted

Where did you come across these?

One love
eric v
March 29, 2006 10:21AM
??? I'm curious too, other than the Ganja Planter/Marijuana remix I haven't seen any remixes of his tunes...
March 29, 2006 11:04AM
All these titles I got under an album called "Locked Out" which, according to his website is still due to come out. I believe I got this stuff off of Soulseek, but don't remember who from. Incidentally I intend to get back on Soulseek and try to start that room up again. I've got over 80 GB of music ripped from my CDs at a minimum 128k or VBR. My computer crashed during the crazy rains we were getting while back that caused the flooding in Sonoma and Napa counties and I've been slow to get back on the downloading. I had just started using Direct Connect and was linked up to someone from this board that had it all coming in. Link me if you want the tunes at lajoshua@yahoo.com

[www.marlonasher.com]

fourtwentyplenty
March 29, 2006 12:27PM
Yeah, I heard a dub plate of that marlon asha tune and was like, dats the same guy? I liked the original better for sure.
March 29, 2006 12:34PM
Marlon Vanillon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login