March 28, 2006 10:31AM
she is off her rocker.

"used to play family man bass knock caly drum"
-Jr Gong-

Nuff said
jb welda
Re: marley wife denies bassist's role
March 28, 2006 10:32AM
heres the thing: if fams had so much to do with the music how come bob marley never gave him co-writer credit?

i didnt read the link above but i would bet that is the crux of the argument.

bob marley knew about publishing and copyrights and royalties, thats been obvious by such things as crediting songs to vincent ford. so its not like its a jamaican producer scam thing here...if marley thought this or that band member deserved the royalties he would probably have named them as co-writer or something to assure they got their due. one can only guess at the point of such an omission but in fact they were ommited from the credits. it could well be that if and when fams had brought this up to marley he said to take a hike; or it could be that fams never thought it appropriate or never got the nerve to broach the subject. all this assuming marley was a saint and wanted everyone to share in the proceeds seems to fly in the face of the reality; that reality being no one ever made it official.

anyway best of luck to fams but i think this very fact plus the fact he accepted short money earlier, no matter how broke he was or how much he needed the money, causes it to be probable that a court of law will not take his side.

remember, "its a court of law, not a court of justice" as someone once said.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 28, 2006 10:38AM
just looked at the article and she indeed appears to be "off her rocker". however the point i made above stands...

the article doesnt do anyone much justice though; it shows fams and the percussion player and sort of implies the percussion player is carly. kind of lame in and of itself.

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 10:46AM
good point JB, wait did I just say that?
Spliff Smoker
March 28, 2006 03:47PM
So who came up with the bassline and drum beats of the tunes? I think that is where the issue should be. The lyrics are only a portion of a song. I think if anyone contributed to the creation of the songs as a whole thing, they should be credited & appropriated. Of course, as JB said it is court of law, not justice.
March 28, 2006 03:59PM
anyone hear what Roger Steffens had to say
when he testified ?
king pablo
March 28, 2006 05:08PM
Unsure what Bob's real intentions might have been but Familyman is the man and Rita really does think she is the "Queen" of reggae, w/her bodyguards, general attitude, demanding Bob' s name not as part of Raggamuffins fest, etc. Doesn't she have enough money coming in already? Plus Carly's passed on so that should mean only one share to go to Familyman, could be wrong on that. I support Familyman.
The man
March 29, 2006 02:37AM
Personally, I don't know what Rita's role was in the production of Wailers somgs. I thought she was the rather indifferent backing singer on many of them. It's weird how the least talented person ever to play with the group - ie Rita Anderson - ended up with most of the money.

Reel
Ike D Stardom
March 29, 2006 05:55AM
I think Rita's role in the productions has zero to do with the trial, she's got the money because she was his wife, nothing else.

Also, noone seems to disagree that the Barretts contributed to the "unique sound", but I think the fact is the records would still sell with a different backing band, but not with a different singer/composer.

And,

>>remember, "its a court of law, not a court of justice" as someone once said.
March 29, 2006 06:18AM
and then there is this song with the line ...( title of song? )

i fought the law and the law won...
papa ray
March 29, 2006 06:19AM
Penny, you state the sad irony in this sad case well. I've spoken a few times here
about the Widow Marley. Too bad her husband didn't take the proper legal steps
to insure the opposite of how things have turned out.

Her actions towards Bob's legacy have been proven in the past to be the legal
definition of fraud. In my opinion it is the malicious and greedy behavior
of a woman seeking power and revenge.
March 29, 2006 06:26AM
from the IRISH EXAMINER -
<<<<

Marley's widow disputes bassist's royalties claim

Bob Marley did not consider bassist Aston 'Family man' Barrett a member of his band The Wailers, the reggae legend's widow Rita told London's High Court yesterday.

Guitarist Barrett, who played with Marley's backing band from 1969 until the latter's death in 1981, is suing Universal-Island Records and UMG Recordings for $60m (€49.4m) in unpaid royalties.

Barrett - who has reportedly fathered 52 children - claims he and his late brother Carlton had a partnership agreement with Marley, which included copyright in six songs and royalties from contracts between 1974 and 1975.

In court yesterday, Rita told Mr Justice Lawson that Bunny Livingston and Peter Tosh were the original members of the group and they had written songs alongside Marley.

Rita said, "(Aston and Carlton were never) part of that process.

"Pete and Bunny were the members of the Wailers. Aston and Carly came in after, long after."

Barrett's lawyer pointed out the credits of Marley's Catch a fire and Burnin' albums, which includes the Barretts alongside Marley, Livingston and Tosh.

In response, Rita said: "The Barretts did not have the same role as Pete and Bunny, and by that stage Bob was clearly the leader of the group."

In his defence, Barrett claims he and his brother helped Marley develop his unique sound, to which Rita responded: "My husband was very much involved in making that sound. It was not just Aston and Carly, Bob had part of the responsibility."

The trial continues.
March 29, 2006 10:55AM
>but I think the fact is the records would still sell with a different backing band, >but not with a different singer/composer.
.......................................................................................

The plaintiff objects your honor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No amount of coulda woulda change the fact that Fams & Carlie contribute
a heap more than a "unique sound." Listen again to the music with a
trained ear. Those are totally new original drum and base lines. Fams & Carlie are recorded in the historical record of music composition same way as
Mozart & Beethoven. Those drum and base line are called 'arrangements'
and according to accepted intellectual property law they count as either sole or shared songwriting credit. Anyone with an ear knows they are an integral part
of what became the BMW sound.

Check the movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." Same thing. The
composers of the arrangements never got their credit and they got dissed
and ripped-off by the predatory music indushitty.

COME ON RITA if you are capable of giving a damn! Quit f*cking the dog.
Nuff yute living under zinc. Ya planning to pull a U-haul behind ya hearse.

Jah know you and ya yute have suffered certain ting and continue to
suffer certain obsession because of the poverty of riches. Best excersise righteousness NOW before ya own yute suffer MO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<><><><>
Ovah

March 29, 2006 12:00PM
The melody on the intro to "I Shot the Sheriff"...maybe the most recognized intro in reggae...who came up with that?
I'd be all in favor of awarding Fams a money if in fact he didn't already screw the pooch by signing his rights away...I guess that, too, is a matter for the courts to decide.
The man
March 29, 2006 12:05PM
Before Bob died Rita couldn't even come into his house, especially not if Cindy was there.

Reel
Spliff Smoker
March 30, 2006 04:13PM
If Fams was not a part of the wailers why is he still in the band, and its leader I believe.
BUNN RED
March 30, 2006 05:00PM
No Barret's.....................no Wailer's........................at least give Familyman a portion of the neverending, constantly increasing pot! By the way, who's collecting all the funds? It really shouldn't even be about the cash but if fund's are rolling in, the player's better be getting their share or portion and we all know that portion does not =$0. Hopefully everything can work out for the benefits of closing such a case in a genre of music where the message is equalitie's for all! Good luck Aston and we hope for the best and for the case to end once and forever!! No justice no peace, then what..........except what is, has been, and will always be! Live on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login