Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quotes on War, Peace, and Liberty

Posted by ForwardZion 
Quotes on War, Peace, and Liberty
March 28, 2006 11:20PM
Please post your favorites. I'll start with a funny yet sad quote from SNL.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
pale ryder
Re: Quotes on War, Peace, and Liberty
March 28, 2006 11:30PM
"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."
March 28, 2006 11:53PM
We go from these quotes from our founding fathers:

The Constitution shall never be construed . . . to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin

To these by recent politicians

If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.
- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993

We are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
- Al Gore
March 28, 2006 11:54PM
The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.
- Albert Einstein
Stevo
March 28, 2006 11:56PM
"A war against any nation is still a civil war"-Spiderman
pale ryder
March 28, 2006 11:58PM
"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule: That was the American dream." Yo Mamma
March 29, 2006 12:01AM
Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.
~George Washington

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official...
~Theodore Roosevelt
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:07AM
"It is usually when men are at their most religious that they behave with the least sense and the greatest cruelty."
March 29, 2006 12:08AM
Why should we hear about body bags, and deaths...I mean, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?
-Barbara Bush

When we talk about war, what were really talking about is Peace.
-George Bush

War creates peace like hate creates love.
-David L. Wilson
March 29, 2006 12:09AM
Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood.
-Mahatma Gandhi
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:20AM
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mahatma Gandhi
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:21AM
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." -Isaiah 2:4
March 29, 2006 12:26AM
Yes I Pale! Cannot wait for that prophesy to be fullfilled! Harvest Time is near.
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:26AM
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. Albert Einstein
March 29, 2006 12:32AM
“Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong.”
-James Bryce
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:34AM
Forward that bredda
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:38AM
"I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

I would like to believe this too......Forward this thought at the festival this year, and in all our days......Get out of me way Mr. DC
March 29, 2006 12:40AM
Forward!
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:48AM
"The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend."
-- Abraham Lincoln
pale ryder
March 29, 2006 12:51AM
"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"We must learn to live together as brothers, or we are going to perish together as fools."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr
March 29, 2006 12:54AM
I never told my religion nor scrutinize that of another. I never attempted to make a convert nor wished to change another's creed. I have judged of others' religion by their lives, for it is from our lives and not from our words that our religion must be read. By the same test must the world judge me.
- Thomas Jefferson

My life is my message - Mahatma Ghandi
March 29, 2006 12:57AM
And on Taxes:

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical.
- Thomas Jefferson
March 29, 2006 01:26AM
The essence of nonviolence is love.
Out of love and the willingness to act selflessly, strategies, tactics, and techniques for a nonviolent struggle arise naturally.
Nonviolence is not a dogma; it is a process.

~Thich Nhat Hanh~
March 29, 2006 06:24AM
The choice is not between violence and non-violence.
The choice is between non-violence and non-existance.
...................Gandhi
March 29, 2006 06:28AM
"Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; Until that day, the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil..."

-HIM Haile Selassie I

The other half of the speech that never seems to get quoted...

---------------------------------------

March 29, 2006 06:31AM
"Men of honor wherever they may be must be vigilent in defense of their freedom."

-HIM Haile Selassie I

------------------------------------

Post Edited (03-28-06 22:31)
March 29, 2006 06:33AM
Vigilent...NO TIME TO RELAX....everyday is WORK

--------------------------

Post Edited (03-28-06 22:33)
jb welda
March 29, 2006 05:17PM
i <heart> bumperstickers:

i love my country but i fear my government

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login