Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, is there going to be "Bigger Acts" on the lineup??????

Posted by Just Wondering 
Just Wondering
So, is there going to be "Bigger Acts" on the lineup??????
March 28, 2006 04:37PM
Who will headline on Saturday and Sunday? I couldnt help but notice that compared to last year, there are few charting artists on this years bill thus far. Certainly I am not complaining, merely inquiring. Is the quality of acts going to pay the price since the total amount of ticket sales will be lower than years past?
At first glance that seems to be the case, as I have no inside knowledge of what lies ahead, like Daniel, or JB. Do you plan on adding more "mainstream" acts? Chart toppers, etc?
let's hope not.
Just Wondering
Re: So, is there going to be "Bigger Acts" on the lineup??????
March 28, 2006 04:45PM
lets hope not?

Do you mean quality of act/vs. tickets sold, or the overal thought of mainstream acts?
pale ryder
March 28, 2006 04:46PM
Michael Prophet on Sat, Earl 16 Sunday
Check with Zoki for Friday nights headliner, he seems to have some inside info...
"do you plan on adding more "mainstream" acts? chart toppers, etc?"

let's hope not.
March 28, 2006 05:08PM
maybe not more "mainstream", but those listed above will not be headlining... if they do, I will be sad. Michael and Earl are great performers and I can't wait to see them, but they don't deserve headlining spots at a show of this magnitude.
jb welda
March 28, 2006 05:17PM
who would be then tahoearmada?

personally i would love to see "headliners" consisting of a theme containing not such big names but a package greater than the sum of its parts.

and if you say:

lee perry
israel vibration
maxi priest
steel pulse
aswad
jimmy cliff
toots and maytals
gregory isaacs
barrington levy

or others of that ilk im going to scream. and forget about sizzla and those slackers too.

personally twinkle brothers and misty and roots would be great as twin headliners. as would a studio one revue backed by soul vendors or m prophet/earl sixteen/aisha/some couple others like u roy all backed by robotiks.

but maybe its just me.

one love
jah bill
March 28, 2006 05:32PM
"Who will headline on Saturday and Sunday? I couldnt help but notice that compared to last year, there are few charting artists on this years bill thus far."

I am not certain I fully understand your question JW. If you are asking whether the festival is going to add artists like Steel Pulse, Toots and the Maytals or Shaggy, all i can say is that I only find out about the artists a little bit before they are announced (someone's gotta change the web). But if you've been around this board for any length of time, you'll know that I have advocated for dumping ALL the "Bigger Acts" from the lineup for years, ditching the world music and renaming the festival the SIERRA NEVADA ROOTS MUSIC FESTIVAL. You need only look at last year's names like Shaggy, Steel Pulse and Toots to see how much influence I have on such things...

"Is the quality of acts going to pay the price since the total amount of ticket sales will be lower than years past?"

I hear this as meaning "the quality of the acts" is dependent upon the price the artists are paid (ie. if you don't buy 'big acts', you don't get quality). Obviously I DISAGREE 1000% with such a notion. From my perspective as a lover of good music, the QUALITY of artists like QUEEN OMEGA, MACKA B, LUTAN FYAH, NATTY KING, MORGAN HERITAGE, LUCIANO and THE ABYSSINIANS who performed last year FAR EXCEEDED what I heard from Shaggy, Steel Pulse and Toots.

I figure about 40% of the artists have been announced. As to whether some "mainstream acts" and "chart toppers" get added, only time will tell...
March 28, 2006 05:39PM
Well said Jah Bill, especially the part about Twinkle Brothers and MIR headlining. To me, MIR epitomizes the essence of SNWMF, and throwing in the twinkle brothers makes sense because several MIR members backed TB in Monterey last september.

And I gotta add Matisyahu and UB40 to the roster of "big acts" that, if added, would cause me to suffer the same visceral reaction....
March 28, 2006 06:06PM
And I gotta add Matisyahu and UB40 to the roster of "big acts" that, if added, would cause me to suffer the same visceral reaction....
.............................................................................................
LOL...I guess if you were Warren, how would you know whether "big acts" are necessary and cost effective, that is, that they alone sell enuff tickets to not only cover their performance fees but the fee's of some of the lesser acts.

I'm guessing you would get pretty much the same crowd at SNWMF with or without the big names, but who really knows unless you run the experiment, thats the question Warren has to grapple with.

Obviously, SNWMf has in the past assumed the conventional wisdom that you need big acts like Steel Pulse and Shaggy to sell enuff tickets.

Myself, I'd like to see Warren run the experiment of no "big acts", but then again Im not risking my money, so how risky would that approach really be? I bet nobody really knows.

I think thats an interesting festival promotion question.

March 28, 2006 06:23PM
I guess if you were Warren, how would you know whether "big acts" are necessary and cost effective, that is, that they alone sell enuff tickets to not only cover their performance fees but the fee's of some of the lesser acts.

I guess one way would be to book Matisyahu, and then multiply the number of peyes (those sideburns) observed by $55.00. Last year, I lookded around but didn't see very many "shaggy" fans out in the audience. Maybe Matis' fans would be easier to spot (cue up that Jim Beam ad Jcool smiley...
March 28, 2006 06:38PM
the best selling point to the show is it is SNWMF and it is summer by this time, all the winter blues gone, the vibe is the most enduring thing that is worth going and is in a sense 'priceless'.

to see all the groovy people, nod and say whats up to folks from different campgrounds and people being cool to each other wether they from the mountain vibe, city vibe, dancehall soundsystem vibe, any color or background, just cant get enough of this and especially in these days and times.

michael prophet is gonna be off the hook. i wanted to bring him to Dreadstock 2005, but the ends werent there to bring him from england. i am glad SNWMF is bringing mike out.

jahbill, if you read this or joshua or others, i am putting the line up together for Dreadstock 2006, i have some cool surprises that can only happen in vallejo, but am interested in bringing some of the big acts, i know steel pulse plays other shows but an appearance in vallejo would be very original, also some lines out to sugar, damien marley etc.

call me or e-mail, all good. although the life of these shows have been threatened, where there is a will there is a way and we gonna keep bringing peace and love to the people,

john dillinger
March 28, 2006 06:53PM
"Bigger" acts?
You mean like Roger & Ian Lewis of Inner Circle??

Seriously, Ken Boothe backed by Soul Vendors is big & large to me...
lemu
March 28, 2006 07:02PM
Oh C'mon everyone...we all know that this year's lineup is lagging. i have gone to snwmf for the last 5 years and unfortunately i don't feel the need to attend this year. i am not hoping for shaggy,toots, etc. to be headliners, but some serious legendary roots. i start to look forward to this festival on the drive home from snwmf, yet this year I just feel sad that I won't be attending. And I am not into the party scene of ROTR, so what to do?!

This post is not intended to cause any drama so please don't reduce yourself to telling me how wrong I am. I just wanted to say that I agree that I am not stoked on the lineup for this year....
March 28, 2006 07:05PM
herb,

make certain we reason on Midas vibes, this should happen providing my dogs can make it work for us all...

JD
March 28, 2006 07:20PM
>Earl Sixteen w/ Mad Professor prime time sat. nite!
>if u dont know your about get lesson^
>cheers : )
twinkle brothers and misty and roots
March 28, 2006 07:49PM
JB, I'd like to see MIR (black uhuru would be my preference, but I'll be realistic)headline one night and the Gladiators with Albert Sr. another... by the way, you make me laugh often for various reasons
---peaces---
March 28, 2006 10:20PM
Keep the artists list flowing just as it is. I personally can't wait. I say more rare roots artists with little or no recognition is tyhe way to go. With the festival in Mendo, everything should be wicked. I agree w/ Dillinger, it's all about the new summer vibes. For sure, the show will sell out no matter what.
I feel like someone at the sierra crew is listening. Months and months ago I suggested M prophet ands earl 16. I can only hope that more of my suggestions get heard. I say bring Sylford Walker, Al Campbell for the Studio one vibes and dancehall as well. Also, Prince Allah, Rod Taylor, Sylvan White and some more crew from the original Freedomn Sounds posse outta JA. My list is endless. Or, an orthodox crew reunion with Little Roy, Albert Malawi, Fred Locks, and Briggy. Wicked for sure!
king pablo
March 28, 2006 10:39PM
Obviously many more acts to get added. I was curious to who might be added next on another thread, but Jah Bill is of course very coy on what he knows. Know the show will only get better. And UNQUESTIONABLY Michael Prophet can and should close out one of the nights. Gunman w/that horn section? CRUCIAL!!!!!!!
March 28, 2006 11:14PM
Agree with Daniel about approach to festival being roots and type artists
Agree with Rootsee and Tahoearmanda about MIR, Twinkle Brothers and Black Uhuru though rather Michael Rose than a Duckie based BU with unknowns.
Biggest hope is for Nazarenes and Warrior King
More of the I-Grade crew who just passed thru west coast
and local artists such as Binghi Ghost and Ooklah the Moc
Lemu, patience shall be rewarded...years past took awhile for full line-up to be announced and this year expect to take longer given the time spent on change of venue
March 29, 2006 05:31AM
kingdavid,
fred locks aka moses levi - enemies - you the original bro to bring sammy and dem back at X-mas of 2002, off the hook show bro, ignited life!

michael prophet also your selection, glad PEOPLE FELT YOU.
mosquito killer
March 29, 2006 06:18AM
it's different strokes, as usual...

i go to snwmf every year also, and the mere additions of michael prophet & earl 16 make this one of the best lineups for me. period. these are two huge roots veterans, especially earl. he's had nuff crucial tunes out for a long time. and michael prophet can do it all well. i'm glad that i am so looking forward to it; i'd hate to be bummin' at this point. i really don't need any more additions; these two work just fine. nice job, warren, it clearly isn't an easy one!

but if you need any more suggestions for this year: joseph cotton can hop right along with the michael & earl for the cross over into cali. willie williams and max romeo would be cool too. and queen omega as well as queen ifrica, for a tip from the feminine gender. but i repeat: great lineup so far. i am too excited!

m.

papa ray
March 29, 2006 06:30AM
I'll admit here that ANYONE announced that would( at this point) knock me out
more than who is already assembled probably would not bring people to the festival
who would otherwise not be attending. I think it is realistic to speak about the
more or less finite size of the audience----capped by the producers at 5,000---
and it is quite a trick to finesse the talent line-up in a way that would draw beyond
the hard-core audience.

As it stands now, my own expectations runneth over regarding this year's line-up, just as it stands.
jb welda
March 29, 2006 09:12AM
>the Gladiators with Albert Sr. another

like you mentioned with uhuru you have to be realistic. as i understand it albert griffiths is not performing with gladiators at this time or maybe ever or maybe just sometimes. much as i would like to see a repeat of their 99 (was it?) set, i dont think thats going to happen or if it did it would be with albert jr.

the uhuru thing is another sticky wicket as you imply...the name is owned by duckie simpson and has been prostituted mercilessly. michael rose seemingly still cannot get into the country and sly and robbie, i dont know what their thing is but it seems rather improbable that they would make it. however i would be the first to support (and i have believe me) either michael rose (if he could get clearance) solo or with sly and robbie. now thats what i call a headliner but again reality intrudes.

as for things like orthodox session, that would be great but you have immigration issues (read big money with disappointment likely in the end), lots of money sunk on airfares etc. like above, i would support this but the realities have been pointed out to me over and over again.

personally im still on a thing with a greenwich farm reunion feat prince alla, rod taylor, phillip frazer, earl zero, original soul syndicate etc but thats not getting too good a reception either particularly as a headliner. but theres always a chance.

leroy smart, mentioned in another thread, i doubt he can get a usa visa and wouldnt draw anyone not already coming but again if it looked possible it would get my support.

despite the stuff above, i predict there will be a lot of smiling faces among the original roots crew as well as the modern roots crew when the next wave is announced. wait and see.

by the way, damian marley. imo he is overplayed but what would be the reaction to him and his stageshow? just wondering because it is debated amongst some circles pretty consistently these days.

one love
jah bill
March 29, 2006 09:16AM
Hey John, did you get my e-mail? Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
Damian Marley...I think that would be a great addition for the festival.
jb welda
March 29, 2006 10:04AM
>Sylford Walker, Al Campbell for the Studio one vibes

this might be "smackdown jah bill" time again here but maybe im having some brain fade i think...did either of these guys record for studio one? i dont recall ever hearing anything from them out of brentford road.

one love
jah bill
March 29, 2006 10:10AM
Not at all concerned about the lack of so called "Big Names" however I would like to see some more young up and coming artists announced. But I'm not worried at all because I'm sure that some youngsters will be announced soon enough.
March 29, 2006 10:17AM
No matter what, the lineup will be sick and 99% of us will be ecstatic, myself included. As far as Damian goes, I think he and Ben Harper will continue there tour on the river, and not in Boonville. This is fine with me because as much as I enjoy seeing him perform, I know that he brings the MTV crowd whether he likes it or not, and they don't belong at SNWMF... so bring on the next wave of announcements, whether they be from studio one or don corleon's stable, I can't wait!
---peaces===
March 29, 2006 10:21AM
Well, Damian is one 'headliner' that I could most definately live with. Only problem there is that I see he will be in Europe the weekend of SNWMF....

Sunday 25th June Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley @ Rock City. 8, Talbot St, Nottingham. 7.30pm £15 adv
Monday 26th June Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley @ Leeds University, Leeds, West Yorkshire. 7.30pm £15 adv
lineup
March 29, 2006 11:49AM
i don't want mainstream like shaggy the faggy but i want some hot new artists like fanton mojah and gyption. what happened to turbulence last year? let's hope for more acts like that because don't get me wrong all the artists on this years line up so far are pretty low key. we need some big tunes pon di stage. Big up all and jah bless
Just Wondering
March 29, 2006 01:22PM
I was about tho chime in with a little clarification on what I mean by mainstream, and charting artists. Last year we got to see Luciano, which was hands down the most incredible Luciano set I have ever seen, he brought fire. I am certainly not implying MTV mainstream, i.e. shaggy.I am talking about Fanton Mojah, Gyptian, Natural Black, Lutan Fiyah (he wrecked last year aside from the mic problems he had.) Strictly roots. How about bringing back Chuck Fenda?

Once again, I am not complaining, I am planning on attending as I have for the past 9 years. I was just wondering if snwmf is planning some heavier hitters, thats all.
March 29, 2006 01:47PM
"Heavier Hitters'' apparently is quite in the eye of the beholder.

I just saw Lutan Fyah at the Raggamuffin festival in LB and IMHO, while OK, he is not what I would call a "Heavy Hitter".

Just Wondering
March 29, 2006 02:08PM
True, but he is on many new roots riddims. And yes John, it is in the eye of the beholder.
Boiio
March 29, 2006 02:23PM
Big names are not needed...just a bunch of solid acts...the "heavy hitters" last year sucked...some VI artists would be awesome...I personally am waiting until some more modern roots artists are announced before I buy my ticket...the artists so far are before my time

lookin forward to the next wave of announcements

"i predict there will be a lot of smiling faces among the original roots crew as well as the modern roots crew when the next wave is announced"<<<that sounds promising

Midnite?
Re: So, is there going to be &quot;Bigger Acts&quot; on the lineup??????
March 29, 2006 02:34PM
--> just saw Lutan Fyah at the Raggamuffin festival in LB and IMHO, while OK, he is not what I would call a "Heavy Hitter".

while I hold Lutans recent works very high on I list these days, I too felt his set at Long Beach lacked intensity and the "heavy hit"

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
Re: So, is there going to be &amp;quot;Bigger Acts&amp;quot; on the lineup??????
March 29, 2006 02:49PM
I agree with Papa Ray-the lineup is excellent already! And ther's MORE!?! Maybe emphasis on quality conscious sounds will manifest a quality conscious crowd and set this fest apart from the harder drug and alcohol oriented gatherings elsewhere. Not that I won't attend some of those too ;-) There's a time and a place for everything!
March 29, 2006 03:16PM
"...so take some time to know yourself..."
March 29, 2006 03:59PM
the Serbian Rasta Choir is available and they are a bigger act.....

March 29, 2006 04:08PM
Is that Zoki looking for his parrot?
scandalous cornerus
March 29, 2006 04:22PM
From Left to Right:

Gordon, Big Mikey Dread, Alireggae, Conscious Pilot and Zapatoo The Tiger

March 29, 2006 05:17PM
"Zapatoo the Tiger" no way. That's burblecut(sp?) from "Willow"
March 29, 2006 05:59PM
With all these off-the-wall threads and humour permeating even the more 'serious' threads, it's obvious to me that the natives are getting restless....

WARREN, I think it's time for one of those "SNWMF 2006 is pleased to announce" posts.....
March 29, 2006 10:01PM
I agree
March 29, 2006 10:41PM
there were a couple of artists mentioned in this thread that I need to lend my support to. I've never heard of these artists performing, so I guess I hadnt even thought to suggest them earlier - Fred Locks and Little Roy. The chance to see either of these roots artists on the lineup would be a dream come true for me.
March 30, 2006 03:16AM
fred locks - enemies, around me yeh.....

shaka 12 inch off legend new york cats, clappers label, bullwackies, etc...

i think the difference this year is bring that sierra vibe from past summers from the campgrounds where up and coming DJ youth spin AFTER the dancehall and rock it on the under where the RV's parked, to bring that FORWARD to the main stage and let people feel this, ya dig?!!

this is where in this world of play acting pretenders with they mind wrapped up like a daqurri inna blender(mac dre thizzing wit the I before he didnt live here no more) people inna SNWMF see people that are stars under the same sky rocking it casual, the people want to be close to the music they love

the show gonna sell out, no doubt. i am going to promote it, i feel that as well, no MTV crowd, but if they show up, we allow them to choose conversion and come out better folks

kingD, jahbill, jahmeek, chimino, iriedan, herb - all y'all cool folks stay up and know this big picture

JD for life
NO dis respect...BUT this line up so far is very weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek deal with it every one stop making excuses and be honest.....I hope and pray that they do something quick.......nuff respect..........
March 30, 2006 07:07AM
I wouldnt seh weak, mor like not complete. I think what is here alreddy could mek for a great one or two day fest sumweh... cause deh some HUGE names here fi I-man...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
LoriI
March 30, 2006 12:00PM
I also agree...feelin' a little restless!!!!!!!!!
It takes so much planning for I.
It's less than three months away and I would think promoters would want to get on the flyering....word of mouth...etc.
hope to hear somethin' soon!
more love
Headliners

Buju
Bounty
Burning Spear
Steel Pulse
Michael Rose
Sizzla
Beenie
Alpha
Marley (pick one)
Lucky Dube
Chaka Demus and Youth man called Pliers
Supercat
Shabba Ranks
Cutty Ranks
The Front Teeth Gold Teeth Gun Pon teeth Article Don Gorgon Ninja Man aka Brother Desmond
March 30, 2006 01:09PM
Ninja, wha? nuh KRS One??? supitchu? huh?

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
"KRS by himself is an indicator species
He seperates the real Hip Hop from the Feces
KRS has always been the man
Since back before he and Shabba did the Jam
When he takes the stage heads start to turn
Knowledge Reigns Supreme
and the Babylonian starts to Burn."

Ninjacat 06
Dr Lifty Lu
March 30, 2006 02:27PM
By far the "biggest" artist now on the line-up, and somehow still "under the radar" (judging by the current threads on this board) is the legendary Baaba Maal. The man is perhaps THE most talented and successful (world-wide, not Billboard) musician/singer/songwriter to ever come out of Africa, has been for over 35 years. I for one am glad to see this festival is living up to its title of WORLD music, and continuing the tradition of great African Roots artists at SNWMF: Thomas Mapfumo, Femi Kuti, Antibalas (even if they are mostly from Brooklyn).

For all you Dancehall heads who might be unfamiliar with this mainly acoustic artist from the "dark continent", check his recent collaboration with the great Ernest Ranglin, "In Search of the Lost Riddim".

Speaking of which, how about bringing in Mr. Ranglin? Perhaps w/Rico, in a little early 60's North Coast jazz workshop?

I for one would be willing to pay ROTR prices, or even more, to bring some of these older, legendary artist over from JA. Most of these older guys never got the financial return for their art that many lesser acts have enjoyed in recent years. (Many times re-using riddims that the originator probably didn't get more than $20 for).

Keep it Roots!!!

You . . . . . . .

Yabby
Yabby
You . . . . . . .
FORward Mr. Maal he represents everytime.
Just Wondering
March 31, 2006 03:50PM
bump
it a seperation of jah seed from the chaff
March 31, 2006 11:20PM
in i beholding it seems bout time that organizers show the responsibility to create venue for true i vibes to flow wit out seeling out the bill, happens more often> though may face heat from many seeking pressure for making seem like they gettin moneys worth when jah provide the certain ting that make it all worthwile through Him own royal players of instrumentation <true evertime from the first sight to the last drop> hold strong for the roots and provide upright musical offering for the humble and righteous nah worry bout who bring the big show cause if it smoke and mirrors it only fade away. its the foundation that stands through each of the day. set example not follow. blessed ites
april prediction - Misty in Roots
April 01, 2006 10:51AM
And if your prediction comes true, you going to come rootsee????
no star.

misty in roots predicted in 2006, if not 2007 then.
April 01, 2006 11:39AM
Well, i always thought the purpose of added acts to a lineup was to encourage more people to attend, but if adding MIR to the lineup won't even bring their "biggest' fan to the festival, then what's the point???
April 01, 2006 12:23PM
blazeiyah I for one want to see SNWMF survive and progress. If this necessitates getting a couple of the more 'popular' acts on the lineup in order to draw the crowd it takes to meet the many expenses involved in producing a show of this size and nature, well so be it. There's an old expression which fits well here: "Nothing is too difficult for the man who doesn't have to do it himself". Plus, there are two stages, so you have a choice to see something other than the 'smoke and mirrors'. If you disagree, then volunteer for the fest, put your shoulder to the wheel and let your voice be heard. Or, you can pay for the port-a-potty rental.
Just Wondering
April 10, 2006 12:07PM
I'm still waitin.............. as Bob once sang.
jjlab3
April 10, 2006 12:20PM
Are you serious?

Misty in Roots
Jah Shaka
Daddy U Roy
Don Carlos
Culture
Cocoa Tea
Mad Professor
Babaa Maal

This is turning out to be a dream line up. And I would say there is probably still a current chart topping dancehall artist tba.

Nice job so far Warren. Keep it coming.
papa ray
April 10, 2006 12:22PM
anyone on this board luke-warm for the line-up AS IT IS makes me scratch mah
head. Let me second the fact that Baaba Maal is so major a musical figure
that I'd say there's nuff nuff young-uns who need to do their homework and check out his discography. Personally, he ranks much much higher than some of the
neo-one-drop hopefuls I see praised up so hard here. OK, let me put it this way:
Maal trumps the likes of Turbulence so hard it ain't even funny.

There's already such potent shots for this June I can only assume dem who
ask 'when will the big names be announced?' are the ones who probably need
THE MOST to be in attendence and payin' attention, 'cause class will definitely be in session.
April 10, 2006 12:27PM
Hear. Hear.
papa ray
April 10, 2006 12:28PM
Clarification: Turbulence ain't 'neo-one-drop hopeful', him more an Also-Sizzla.
Dr Lifty Lu
April 10, 2006 07:38PM
Big up big up big up Your Ace From Space, Daddy U-Roy
April 10, 2006 08:31PM
some yall left coasters are so SPOILED!!!
April 10, 2006 11:51PM
Lineup looks solid. I wouldn't mind a couple deejays & younger artists (and one more big sound to come right?), but I'm planning my trip now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login