Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leroy "Don" Smart

Posted by Chimino 
Leroy "Don" Smart
March 29, 2006 05:51AM
He has US visa? Can't remember the last time I've seen him on the bill of a stageshow here, but would make an excellent addition to SNWMF.

king pablo
Re: Leroy "Don" Smart
March 29, 2006 06:34AM
Would love to see Mr. Smart, he is one of my all time favorite singers. A man like Johnny Osbourne who has mashed it up since roots times through digital up to current times and can still sound fresh. Bring him to Boonsville!
mosquito killer
March 29, 2006 02:35PM
nice one, chimino. big call. mr. smart would be an awesome addition, no doubt.

m.

papa ray
March 29, 2006 03:09PM
A prime example of a singer who is emblemic of Jamaica, and fondly thought of on the island, but, beyond the core non-Jamaican audience, an acquired taste. Mind you, I've got nuff records by Mr. Smart( I even remember a year in Jamaica where he topped Barry G's year-end count-down for singer w/ the most singles on the top 100), but I recall playing his records for non-reggae enthusiasts who just couldn't get it. Sure, I'd well-enjoy seeing him run thru a set, but would he bring a crowd?

I saw him one nite w/ Stur-gav in '83, what a vibe. I also saw him walking around
when Stur-gav & Youth Promotion took over Fish-Whirl in Negril; Sugar, Josey & Don Carlos were on the set(!!). Smart was looking all criss and
showing this singer from Germany around---Lawd have Mercy.
March 29, 2006 04:36PM
Chimino,

Great suggestion !! I hadn't even thought of Mr Smart before.

Just got "Jahovia" (12"winking smiley in the mail the other day, been on heavy rotation at home.

Be great if it came to fruition

One love
eric v
March 29, 2006 04:57PM
Mr Smart is my all time favorite singer from JA..I just recently have been trying to get most of his singles..but they are getting harder and harder to find..

Last time I saw him, he played at the old Spirit club in San Diego, CA in the mid-80s..He was being backed by a few musicians from LA plus one of the original guitar players from the Soul Defenders..(can't remember his name right now)..

he was great..

g
reggaefan
March 29, 2006 05:28PM
Chimino - you do get two thumbs up for this suggestion....Leroy Smart would be a fun one...! He has so many great songs to chose from, yes Eric, including the one you mention, all time thriller imo...

Tell 'em Leroy:

vvvvvvvvvvvv
[s26.yousendit.com]
^^^^^^^^^^^^

March 29, 2006 06:18PM
Forward Johhny Osbourne...and Leroy Smart
March 29, 2006 08:23PM
'twould be a ballistic affair
March 30, 2006 04:50AM
"We ah foundationnn/And we no jus buss...seen!"

papa ray
March 30, 2006 03:09PM
After checking this thread, for the maybe 1,000th time I watched the
footage in 'Rockers' w/ Leroy and chuckled again---bad-man fe true.
Off the top of my head, four of my fave sides by Mr. Smart:

1. 'Bad Minded People' .
2. 'Chucky No Lucky'
3. 'She Just A Draw Card'
4. 'One Day You'll Be Mine '

BUT: What could LS mean to the Cali-V.I.-Roots possee??? I can't imagine
him connecting. I think part of Smart's appeal to Jamaicans comes from
the dynamic of a guy you KNOW is a bad-man, from a rough beginning,
who didn't have a particularly great voice(altho it is distinctive, no doubt),
but persevered and became something of a Robin Hood figure in the Jamaican
media.

And no one style a three-piece suit and beaver hat bettah than Smart, not even Gregory!
March 30, 2006 06:08PM
Yes papa, This man a true rudebwoy still ya know. I say keep the vibes cleaner and stick to more positive artists. I know that his voice was never that good to begin with, and after all these years, one just has to wonder. I keep trying to think of tunes in my regular rotation, and I can't seem to think of any big Smart tunes that I have. Could someone please tell me of what I may be missing out on. Especially on 12" 45 format.
jb welda
March 30, 2006 06:59PM
ballistic affair was his best imo.

other great ones:
mother liza
mr smart
(trying to wreck up my life) i dont like it
meaning of life

most of these are pretty easy to source.

also there is a dennis alcapone release on RAS whose title is escaping me at the moment but its all dac over leroy smart tracks with liberal amounts of the dons vocals left intact.

i have his new album on makasound but unfortunately havent had a chance to check it.

one love
jah bill
March 30, 2006 07:11PM
That 12" to Meaning of Life is rufff
papa ray
March 30, 2006 07:48PM
'She love It In The Morning'. Indeed. Riding a sublime version of the peanut Vendor riddem, played by the Radics. Now y'all got me humming Leroy Smart thru this day....

Here's an Odd Couple Pairing I doubt we'll evah' see:
Leroy Smart Meets Matisyahu inna dancehall style.....
jb welda
March 30, 2006 07:50PM
leroy would steal his diamonds and gold watch and leave him wondering what happened. now *that* would be fun to watch.

one love
jah bill
March 30, 2006 08:35PM
"...gangsta, gangsta, dats what dey yellin..."
papa ray
March 30, 2006 09:14PM
If it was winter Leroy might also end up w/ a nice ermine trimmed crown....

I recall watching him at that Fishwhirl Session, walking thru the crowd w/ this German youth who wuz so light-skinned he almost seemed albino. Somebody
told me he was an aspiring pop star who'd come to Jamaica to ketch the vibe.
All I could think @ the time ran along the lines of 'I wonder how Leroy's gonna
turn THIS guy out?!?'.

Not to labbrish (heh heh), but hey good people, as I said earlier Josey was on that set: anyone hear yet about how that assault bizness from earlier this year was settled??
March 31, 2006 03:46AM
wow..jah bill has mentioned a few great smart tunes..here is a small list of tunes that I have..

All of My Love
Baby I Love You
Back Off
Badness No Pay
Ballistic Affair
Black Man
Chucky Nuh Lucky
Conscious Soldier
Dedicate My Love To You
Ethiopia (To Jamaica)
Find Your Destination
Get Smart
Ghetto Girl
Give Love A Try
Give Thanks & Praise
God Helps the Man
Happiness is my desire
Hotter the Battle
I am the Don
I Don't Want to Go Out with You
I love Jah Rastafari
Jah Almighty
Jah Jah
Jamaica in peace
Keep on Trying
Know Yourself
Life Is A Funny Thing
Lorna
Love and Happiness
Love in my heart
Love Tonight
Lover Boy
Maxine
Meaning of Life
Mirror Mirror
More Than a Million
Mother Liza
Nice Up the Scene
No Love
Pretty Looks
Pride & Ambition
Prophecy A Hold Them
Satisfaction
Settle for Me
Shame & Pride
She Just A Draw Card
She Love It In the Morning
So Strong
Stop Criticizing
Stop Your Warring
Stronger Mi Stronger
Sweet Lady
That Girl
The Possie
The Road is Rough
Them a Hooligan
This is the time
Trying Very Hard
What is on Your Mind
What Will I Do
Without Love
Wreck Up My Life
Girl You Too Cold
Pay the Price
Want to Go Home
Youths Get Vile
March 31, 2006 04:43AM
Nice...

add two of my favorites "Dance It Haffi Cork" and "The Journey".

March 31, 2006 02:16PM
I love Jah Rastafari
I love Jah THe ALMIGHTY I

pale ryder
March 31, 2006 06:38PM
Didnt Leroy Smart do an album with the Mighty Diamonds?
April 04, 2006 01:07PM
hey pale ryder..yes he did..I believe it was the mighty diamonds doing backing vocals on the lp..it was released by Gussie's and I don't recall an actual cover..just blank with Smart and Diamonds on it..(i believe)..I have been looking for that lp for a long time

g
April 04, 2006 07:33PM
saw him live this winter in ja, put on a great show with full salute from the crowd.
April 04, 2006 10:59PM
Dave (Studio One) Allard who used to have a reggae shop in San Diego, told me that he took Leroy to a kung-fu movie in San Diego and that they almost got kicked out because Leroy was yelling so much during the action sequences. That would have been fun to see.
reggaefan
April 04, 2006 11:07PM
Dave (Studio One) Allard who used to have a reggae shop in San Diego, told me that he took Leroy to a kung-fu movie in San Diego and that they almost got kicked out because Leroy was yelling so much during the action sequences. That would have been fun to see.

--------

Classic story.....can you imagine being the usher that's gotta kick Leroy Smart out the building? No thanks...

April 05, 2006 04:12PM
Hey Mike

Dave (Studio One) Allard use to run Strictly Reggae Records in San Diego. I was about 16 or 17 when I met him and we became quite good friends at that time. Dave was sort of my mentor in the early days -he also made me obsessed with Studio One.

anyway, someday I will tell you my Leroy Smart story..needless to say..he was a character..but I was at that first show he did in San Diego when he was backed up by the local band Melting Pot..he was great

g
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login