Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need more world music, not just reggae

Posted by sisene 
sisene
need more world music, not just reggae
March 29, 2006 11:38PM
PLEASE, every year you are mainly reggae, there is so much world music that you are not promoting. How about Quebecois rocker Eric La Pointé, Algerian Raj rocker Rachid Taha, the ethereal Sheila Chandra or the group Afro Celt Sound System? The Kurdistani Third Planet, Saul and Atlas, Cheb Mami, Khalid, Anoushka Shankar, Varttina? Please, please, please, expand your repertoire!!! You are losing people and money by not being more creative and expansive with your music offerings....
Conscious Pilot
Re: need more world music, not just reggae
March 30, 2006 12:57AM
Get Kekele in!!
Spliff Smoker
March 31, 2006 03:04PM
Or how 'bout Aereosmith?

C'mon, the reason it is mainly reggae is because everyone, ok not everyone, but 98%, come to see reggae.
papa ray
March 31, 2006 04:14PM
Sisene, as shown by the bookings of Baba Maal, Amadou and Mariam,& Gomba Jahbari, there's always a respectable offering of non-jamaican acts, but I think your contention the festival is 'losing money' due to not booking more 'world music' acts stands on shaky ground: it's my experience that such acts you mentioned almost always appear in academic/non-profit settings where ticket sales are not expected
to cover the expense. I'd love to see a Rai star such as Cheb Mami; I figure it will happen the next chance I get to visit Paris when such a show is going on.
Hell, give me a showcase of Haitian artists, I'd also love to see the top soca acts
out of Trinidad, and while you're at it, I'm really ready for a week-end of heavy-hitters from Nigeria and also a big salute to Francos' Congolese rumba music---but I don't expect to have the opportunity, because of the market for this music relative to the costs of promoting such shows.

If 'world music' as a genre was a solid ticket seller in the USA, believe me, you'd see it reflected in what's booked in club and concert settings.
March 31, 2006 04:48PM
Yonder Mountain String Band could sing "Two Hits and the Joint Turned Brown" Bob Marley style.
papa ray
March 31, 2006 04:58PM
Go Deh Tv Man Go Deh...
sisene
April 01, 2006 10:17AM
Then call it a reggae festival, not world music festvial!!
sisene
April 01, 2006 10:19AM
I don't watch deh TV, man....
sisene
April 01, 2006 10:22AM
Don't listen to Aerosmith, either. Good lord, why be so patronizing if someone wants world music to include world music, instead of just reggae?
sisene
April 01, 2006 10:28AM
Rachid Taha just did a dynamite show in San Francisco nightclub last summer. Eric La Pointé plays at small festivals all over French Canada (Quebec)...not all of these people are such big names that they couldn't play at a world music festival in California. Thanks for your kind response though, I appreciate that you did not get defensive (i.e. think that I was attacking reggae) just because I suggested a variety of music. You have some good points.
April 01, 2006 10:30AM
i am sure that the organizers know what they are doing.
it is their festival.
i am also sure that they are reading all the many requests too about everything.

they are to complimented for doing such a tough task year after year,
right?

give thanks,
one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
HIGHPRAISE
April 01, 2006 10:56AM
I think they bring just enough "world" every year . Spliff Smoker , I think that percentage is wrong . I Come for the Reggae but love the bonus of seeing some good "world music" too . I dont think im alone . There is thousands of people, that are'nt on this message board, that attend . So i got your back sisene .
sisene
April 01, 2006 11:56AM
my dear high praise, dija ya mean 'got you back?'
Lots and lots more music that is called 'world' music is not present at this festival. The world would be a rather small place if this was representative. Of course the festival people are doing a good job, but perhaps it needs to be called a reggae festival instead....I've been to the festival and have heard people complain that it was reggae overkill.
p.s. high praise, this ain't no competion, honey, just opinions, lighten up...I guess silly me did not realize only one belief system/opinion on the festival was acceptable. peace...
April 01, 2006 01:23PM
Could bring back Mr. Peter Rowan for some reggaebilly.

I like the name of the festival, but maybe since it's now further away from the Sierra Nevada mountains we could pick a new name to go with the landscape.
Boonville has a nice sound to it.
However, the word "world" doesn't always mean exactly the same to all God's children.

How's about the "Boonville, California, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Musical Festival."

I'm here to help.

April 01, 2006 01:29PM
You can never please everyone. If they called it a reggae festival, there'd be reggae fans complaining about the world music artists. You call it a world music festival, and you get world music people comlaining that it's primarily reggae.
Personally, I find the term world music misleading. All music falls into the world music catagory. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 02, 2006 05:30PM
sisene - do they actually burn men at "burning man"?

is there much child attacking at the "lilith festival"?

do you have to be an umbrella to go to "bumbershoot".?

one quick look at the lineup (past and present) should tell you whether you want to go to any festival, regardless of the name. unless you decide to go to festivals based on the name only without researching who/what will be playing.....
April 02, 2006 05:37PM
Good one dirtweed, though there is a fair amount of 'world music' at snwmf. I just hope sisene checks with MapQuest before heading to this year's festival lest he/she end up in the wrong part of the state on account of the festival's name...

And Ras James, you are also correct in that, even Warren were to add 200 artists to the lineup tomorrow, I'm sure someone would be saying 'but what about ____".
April 02, 2006 05:43PM
and the world music is always appreciated by me (and i am sure others) who go to festival for the reggae. in years past, i would think that even if someone was not into reggae there was enough quality "world" music to satisfy them.
April 02, 2006 08:06PM
sisene - you should try reading what Highpraise wrote again - he was supporting your cause...
April 02, 2006 09:24PM
Instead of more world acts,
how about altering the name to SNWRF
???
April 02, 2006 10:34PM
when HIGHPRAISE said "i got your back sisene" he meant he was protecting your blind side...capiche?
sisene
April 03, 2006 09:38AM
My apologies to High Praise for misinterpreting his message! Thanks also to Dubguy for setting me straight. I guess I was just surprised that some people were so weird about me mentioning other varieties of music.
Note to dirtweed>a rock concert has rock music (not rocks). a blues concert has music called the blues (not blue paint). and yes, at burning man they do symbolically 'burn a man'. Lilith was the original woman so that title makes sense for a woman's festival. So...it would be silly of me to say 'whoa, too much woman's music' at a Lilith concert or 'way too much blues' at a Blues concert! World music should try to encompass more than a small percent of the world. (The US is only 6% of the world's populace so the population of Jamaica is quite a bit smaller).
gosh, daniel, I'm sure I'm too stupid to check with mapquest and might end up in the right part of the state because of the title of the festival (which I've been to and yes, I'm aware of the new location). Thanks for the sage advice. Some of you guys remind me of arriving at a bible class and daring to say that maybe not all the bible is true.
By the way, I like to dance to reggae music > this isn't an attack on reggae. I have been to other world music concerts and not heard people complain about 'too much reggae' or too much anything because there was enough world music represented at the festival.
I just a woman who likes variety (in answer to the he/she question).

Michael Corleone
April 03, 2006 09:41AM
Bring Akon
April 03, 2006 11:15AM
I personally want more old school reggae bands. The Abyssinians, The itals,

Horace Andy, Gregory Isaacs, The Twinkle Bros., Jimmy Cliff, The Congos,

Bunny Wailer, U-roy. I also wouldn't mind some of my favorite 80's playas. Michael Rose, Half-Pint,Alpha Blondy, Steel PUlse, Mighty Daimonds, Culture, Max Romeo, Brigadier Jerry, sISTA cAROL, mARCIA gRIFFITHS. If you want more World bands, what about : Tribe do Jah(Brasil), Eladjhi(Senegal), Gentleman, and hey we got Baaba Maal, it doesn't get better than him. I really want to see Yami Bolo again, he reaches true Ights.
April 03, 2006 11:56AM
Ze Manel would be a nice addition to the lineup.
He' from Guinea Bissau, Africa, but now lives in Oakland due to the revolution his music inspired back home.
April 03, 2006 12:40PM
<<Bring Akon>>

Finally...something I and the Don of Sonoma agree upon...
Spliff Smoker
April 03, 2006 03:05PM
Sorry Sisene, my response was a little outlandish, but the truth remains reggae puts the $ in the promoter's hands. Why, because as I said most people, a very large majority, come to see reggae. There is a presence of world music represented. Is there a larger "world music" fest? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I don't think there is a festival with more worldy non-reggae acts. So even with the amount of world represented, it is probably the largest in the area. Of course I don't look for world fests.
alisha
April 17, 2006 09:22AM
oh i SEE WHY YOU WAS CALLING ME OVER HERE...
April 17, 2006 10:01AM
well..we need more world music so that we can have a break in between the reggae acts to go eat something or drink..or even go to the bathroom..schedule them all in a row so we can get some sleep..

but aside from that..who listens to world music?...

g
HIGHPRAISE
April 17, 2006 11:22AM
I listen to "world" music . I think sisene should be happy now . This is tha most "world " music ive seen to perform at this fest . Hhmmm .. For any of you into it i suggest gettin tha newest release from Amadou and Mariam "Dimanche a Bamako" .. Produced by Manu Chao . Its great .
g mon g
April 17, 2006 11:31AM
tabla beat science
Dr Lifty Lu
April 17, 2006 06:23PM
Everyone should check Vusi Mahlasela, sometimes called "South Africa's Bob Dylan", although that's a ridiculous comparison (apples and oranges). Definately a class A lyricist, with much better guitar pickin skills than most American "singer-songwriters".
I also highly recommend the film "Amandla! Revolution In Four-Part Harmony", all about the tradition of the South African songs of protest against apartheid, the only real example of "chanting down Babylon" ( Vusi's got a performance on the DVD extras that blew me away."
Dr Lifty Lu
April 17, 2006 06:35PM
Tabla Beat Science!
Their set in '02 was my all-time favorite SNWMF surprise.

Speaking of artists with truly "world music", not just foreign, why not bring Sound Tribe Sector Nine? Their music is such a global fusion, it completely defies catagorization.(electronica? world beat? acid jazz? who needs labels?) STS9 would also be just about the hottest late-night dancehall act imaginable, though their travelling crowd of die-hard fans might sell out this venue by themselves

STS9
shine
shine
shine
April 17, 2006 09:47PM
Boonville Reggae festival would be changing the name and confuse the masses. .....I know this great yoddling, accordian solo, bag-pipe gorup from Sweden............Start your own World Music Festival. Or...there are plenty out there...but nobody goes to them
April 18, 2006 11:41AM
by angel gabriel QUOTE:
"well..we need more world music so that we can have a break in between the reggae acts to go eat something or drink..or even go to the bathroom..schedule them all in a row so we can get some sleep..

but aside from that..who listens to world music?...

g"

==============================

Are you kidding me? you sound extremely ignorant and I'm sorry I've come accross this post and read some of these replies. I agree with sisene...why call it a world music when is really is not a world music fest, it's a reggae fest. I dont complain cause I love it but I see where sisene is coming from. Call it a reggae fest cause that's really what it is and that's why people go to see and listen to...reggae artists...cause that's where the money's at. But that's just my opinion.
April 18, 2006 11:43AM
All music is world music...

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 18, 2006 11:45AM
if you don't like the lineup, don't come to the festival.

HIGHPRAISE
April 18, 2006 11:53AM
Blueterfly .. I would have agreed that it is mostly a "reggae" event a few months ago ,but look at that lineup now . Plenty ah "world" vibes ... Come and enjoy smiling smiley
April 18, 2006 12:03PM
Some people want only reggae, and some people want MORE 'world music'. There is simply no way to please both camps, but i would say that this festival generally strikes a good balance between the two.

Though the 'world music' really isn't my thing, 'reggae only' fans should consider the fact that an absence of ANY 'world music' would make for many more musical conflicts (ie good reggae on both stages at the same time) then usually happens.
garden of delights
April 18, 2006 12:12PM
they should NOT change the name,btw- agree with randomguy. It's already established and they'd also have to change over a lot of things for no good reason. The current name also gives the fest promoters flexibility.
April 18, 2006 12:29PM
less world musik, more deep mystic roots reggae...Give Thanks...this is Ras TafarI time...render unto ceasar that which is ceasar's, unto Jah that which is Jah's...rather have small roots festival, than large fest with lots of "elevator music"
April 18, 2006 12:34PM

QUOTE:
Author: HIGHPRAISE (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: 04-18-06 11:53

Blueterfly .. I would have agreed that it is mostly a "reggae" event a few months ago ,but look at that lineup now . Plenty ah "world" vibes ... Come and enjoy smiling smiley

=================
I have no problem with the line up, like I said, I'm extremely excited about the line up this year, I think it's going to be awesome, I went last year and I had more fun than I expected. I just said that I agreed with sisene... I WILL BE THERE! I know the fest can't please everyone...off course! just saying! Can't wait!!!
jb welda
April 18, 2006 12:36PM
>this is Ras TafarI time...render unto ceasar that which is ceasar's, unto Jah that
>which is Jah's

i love it! when and where is this festival youre putting on?

one love
jah bill
Dr Lifty Lu
April 18, 2006 05:41PM
"all music is world music" -- Ras James

WORD UP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login