Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Winston Jarrett, I Grade Family or Ooklah the Moc?

Posted by niceup 
Winston Jarrett, I Grade Family or Ooklah the Moc?
March 30, 2006 02:57PM
I have a dilemna that is unusual in AZ. Somehow there are three reggae shows in one weekend...Winston Jarrett with Wadi Gad, I Grade with Army, Abja and Niyorah, and Ooklah the Moc. The only one I have seen so far is Winston Jarrett at SNWMF. Circumstances only allow me to go to one show.

Suggestions?

Re: Winston Jarrett, I Grade Family or Ooklah the Moc?
March 30, 2006 03:08PM
Well, if you can only go to ONE SHOW, my suggestion would most definately be to make it.....

SNWMF!!!!!
March 30, 2006 03:15PM
I Grade
March 30, 2006 03:18PM
I would have ta seh I am biased in favor of I Grade & dem... but I would try very hard ta mek Ooklah too...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 30, 2006 03:23PM
If you've already see Winston.. then definitely I-Grade with this gentleman in the Red-I Band.

March 30, 2006 03:34PM
Don't forget.... JAH MEEK will be spinning at the Winston Jarrett thing, which should help you out in making your decision making process......
March 30, 2006 03:38PM
The way I see it, you have a Hawaiian, 3 STX and 1 Jamaican.

I'd go see the Jamaican. Besides, Wadi Gad mash up the drums.

2nd choice would be STX crew.

3rd would be the USABB, yawn.
March 30, 2006 03:52PM
Hey traveler, wasn't that the guy who got passed up for the lead character in Big Love?
March 30, 2006 04:14PM
see winston jarrett & wadi gad for real reggae. as these oldtimers get older, they will be touring less and less until they no longer are performing. see 'em while you can. as far as the i-grade - they seem to be everywhere and you will surely be able to catch them at a later date if they last that long.
jb welda
March 30, 2006 06:41PM
its kind of a rough one. i saw both of these shows (winston jarrett/wadi gad & the i grade showcase) within a couple months and i would agree with dirtweed that it would probably be best to go check winston jarrett and wadi. thats not to take away from the i grade showcase though because frankly it might be a little better musically or at least a bit more varied. maybe if youve seen one or the other of these recently you should go check the other one; otherwise i would support the originators. then maybe the i grade thing will manifest even if you dont think it will right now.

and not to take away from ookla the moc, but they are up against hard competition; i would bet members of the band would go see one of the others too.

one love
jah bill
Red I
March 31, 2006 10:30AM
That is a tough call to make. but we did a show at the Bellyup with ooklah and it was a blessing to see. big up ooklah the moc, large. dirtweed, you need to blaze up some high grade.
March 31, 2006 01:54PM
OOKLAH THE MOC

I just saw them in SC and they were sooooooo great!!!!
Sweet vocals and very rootsy. I like the fact that they don't feel the need to wear dreadlocks in order to be reggae.
March 31, 2006 02:03PM
Are they Jawaiian?
Nematode
March 31, 2006 02:44PM
You need to see Ooklah the Moc it is a reggae explosion as much as I like Wadi
I just saw him recently and not that impressive mostly cause the band wasn't really on top of it and Wadi didn't even play the drums as far as I-Grade they just played the belly up with Ooklah opening and I have to say the sweet vocs along with the hard drum and bass they drop it is Ooklah every time. If when you say Jawaiian you mean heavy ukeleli and soft vibes this is not Ooklah they bring the roots vibes and the toughest new sound I have heard in a long time. When you see them you will understand what i mean. Going to see them again tonight with Army at the World beat in SD. Big UP Ooklah the Moc
March 31, 2006 06:05PM
Winston Jarrett and Wadi Gad would be my personal choice. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
March 31, 2006 07:11PM
Ooklah the Moc is definitely not Jawaiian. That stuff killed me the first time I went to Hawaii. Every song that came on the radio I'd think sweet, reggae on the radio. Nope, more Jawaiian crap. Ooklah is strictly roots reggae though. Check out the album Koko meets Ooklah the Moc.

It looks like I'm heading to Winston Jarrett tonight. I hoping to be able to make it out to Ooklah on Sunday as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login