Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matisyahu: A most unorthodox pop star

Posted by a 
a
Matisyahu: A most unorthodox pop star
March 31, 2006 04:07AM
Matisyahu: A most unorthodox pop star Thu Mar 30, 12:26 PM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - Matthew Miller cuts a striking figure on stage with his black hat and beard. The fervent Hasidic Jew better known as Matisyahu is also an unlikely rising star of reggae and rap.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 26-year-old has reconciled strict religious demands with a staccato chant pop style that has taken his latest album "Youth" straight into the Billboard charts at number four with 120,000 copies sold in one week.

With the help of internet chat rooms, in a few months Matisyahu has gone from local shows to headlining national events. He will be one of the top names at the Lollapalooza festival in Chicago in August.

But no shows on a Friday, the eve of the Sabbath, and no fraternising with female fans. "There's always one drunk girl who runs up to give me a hug. I have to pull away," he said in a recent interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

His rap is hardcore but puts across a positive message:

"Strip away the layers and reveal your soul,

Give yourself up and then you become whole".

Matisyahu has already gone through the rebellious phase of his life.

Born in to a non-religious Jewish family, he spent much of his younger years living in the New York suburb of White Plains. He went to a Hebrew school twice a week as a child but says he was often threatened with expulsion for disrupting classes.

It was as a 16-year-old on a camping trip to Colorado that he discovered religion. From there he went on a trip to Israel that he says "stirred" his Jewish identity.

After that trip, the youth dropped out of his home school and was sent to a wilderness school in Oregon, where he ended up studying reggae and hip-hop music and began performing under the name MC Truth.

He returned to New York in 2000 to study, started regularly attending a synagogue and met a rabbi who convinced him to become a Lubavitch Hasadic Jew.

MC Truth, who once sceptical of authority, became "Matisyahu", the Hebrew version of Matthew.

Matisyahu's entourage say his music combines the sounds of late reggae legend Bob Marley and Shlomo Carlebach, a rabbi who became one of Israel's best known singers of the 20th century.

Bill Werde, a senior editor at Billboard magazine, explained Matisyahu's appeal.

"There's a lot of interest in reggae and in general Jamaican music in the US right now, if you look at the success of other artists like Sean Paul or Wyclef Jean," Werde told AFP.

"His music is good, his songs are good. He has sort of a positive uplifting message and I think that's really reasonating with people right now."

Matisyahu has definitely arrived. He told Rolling Stone he had been invited by Madonna, a recent convert to the mystic Jewish faith of Kabbalah, for the Passover festival.

"I don't know if I can go. I'll have to check it out with, like, multiple people, to make sure it's kosher," the rapper said on the Jimmy Kimmel television show which helped launch his career.

The rabbis generally approve of his music, he added, because they back anything to "help people to connect to their godliness".

Time will tell if Matisyahu becomes a longstanding pop sensation.

But Werde said that while the rapper has a Jewish "base" he was now "a mainstream pop success story".

"Because of Matisyahu's appearance, he was able to create a critical amount of buzz. If he didn't have the music to back it up, he would not sustain his rise. And the fact of the matter is these are great songs, and it's a message that people are clearly responding to."
Re: Matisyahu: A most unorthodox pop star
March 31, 2006 05:04AM
They missed the part how he used to travel around following Phish.
And who cares.
bbbb
March 31, 2006 06:00AM
Free Palestine from the Jewish settlers.

Israel, the world's current "South Africa", run by racist colonials.
bbbb
March 31, 2006 06:17AM
Illegal state. When will Israel fall, as white south africa and rhodesia did before it, and the whites then rightfully had to live on the terms of the original inhabitants? Time will bring it back to the Palestinian sufferers.....Just a matter of time.....
March 31, 2006 06:48AM
bbb worry first about freeing New Orleans which has been a center of racism, corruption and general oppression for years
March 31, 2006 06:49AM
"reasonating"... an interesting term still, even if the "news" here ISN"T...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 31, 2006 10:50AM
I have to say this bredren can sing, but his rise to pop stardom is a real turn-off to me and seems to go against his message of banishing Vanity? To rise high fast may lead to fall low just as quick! i appreciate his songs of "love and healing" and much love and luck to bringing his message to the masses!
I&IDRUMS
March 31, 2006 10:52AM
Author: Ninjacat (---.nike.com)
Date: 03-31-06 06:48

bbb worry first about freeing New Orleans which has been a center of racism, corruption and general oppression for years>>

Ditto, Ninja! There's nuff racism in this country of 'milk and honey' to deal with
a
March 31, 2006 12:28PM
the heights that great men reach,.....
March 31, 2006 12:34PM
Lollapalooza... that is still going on?
HIGHPRAISE
March 31, 2006 12:46PM
"Racism"... Beat that dead horse ... Ism's ,skism's ........
bbbb
March 31, 2006 05:30PM

Righteous Jews unafraid to tell the truth about called "Israel."

[www.normanfinkelstein.com]
March 31, 2006 05:43PM
BOYCOT MATISBLOODCLOUTYAHU AND HIS ANTI GANJA AND SELASSIE LYRICS. FIYA
March 31, 2006 06:25PM
Iley, now that's what I call intolerance...you have an awful lot in common with the gay activists who kept Capleton and Cocoa Tea from playing in California. Do you speak up when Christafari does that and worse? At least Matis isn't trying to convert anyone. He's by no means my favorite artist (can't take him @ all when he tries to sing), but he keeps his messages free of slackness, violence or vanity. And unlike so many of the so-called 'conscious' reggae artists, he lives up to his words as far as I can tell.

bbbb? That's the sound I make when I run my fingers up & down over my lips...
bbbb
March 31, 2006 06:33PM
"bbbb? That's the sound I make when I run my fingers up & down over my lips"

That's fine by me if you want to remain stupid. Make like a baby for all I care.
March 31, 2006 08:41PM
im sory to come cross a little strong but, he turned the bob marley day in SF into a heavry metal distoted raket. after the wailers opened for him at the "bob marley" day show. and to disrespect rastafari and for him to headline a a show named after a rasta profit. makes i think hes trying to destruct regae. bless
bbbb
March 31, 2006 10:22PM
why does anyone take this fool yahu seriously?
March 31, 2006 10:38PM
I don't think we've had enough threads about this guy yet.

March 31, 2006 10:42PM
Nope, don't wanna bring myself down to your abysmal level.
bbb=kkk
b-b-b-buh-bye.
bbbb
March 31, 2006 10:49PM
Stamina, you are hilarious! Making me anti Israel makes me KKK? Ha ha ha....if you are going to try and smear me, at least try and have some foundation to do so....

If you can find even ONE racist/;anti semitic comment I made, I will send you my studio one vinyl....

Can I ask you a question? Were you anti the white apartheid fascist regime in South Africa/Rhodesia in the 70's/80's ?

If you were ( it is possible you werent looking at your posts I have to say ) then did that make you Anti White man, anti Christian? Of course it didn't! It made you anti what South Africa stood for, anti the last colonial white regimes...

I am 100% anti Israel since I see Israel as one of the last colonial settler states.... NOT because I am anti semitic....Look, grow up and find a better way to argue with people rather than smearing them anti semitic....

Fool....

Why don't you read some of the good Jewish hsitorians like Avi Shlaim, Benny Morris and Norman Finkelstein? THEN you'l learn the truth...you shouldn't rely on Gentile historians...they have been silenced years ago by the phony charge of anti semite...

Thank God for the great Jewish hisotrians we have like the above....

Now go away and read.... You KKK Israel supporter ( haha...only kidding.... )
bbbb
March 31, 2006 10:54PM
You can start here if you want to learn something :

[www.normanfinkelstein.com]

then, move and read RIGHTEOUS VICTIMS by the excellent Jewish historian, Benny Morris. Then tackle the Iraqi Jewish Oxford scholar Avi Shlaim's "The Iron Wall"...then we can talk.....

Or are you still reading Leon Uris and Joan Peters? Or are you reading that other fool who wrote "The Case For Israel" Alan Dershowitz, the guy who condones torture and ethnic cleansing?

Anti semitic? KKK ? Yaaawwwnnn, old insults to silence people....go away...
March 31, 2006 11:15PM
Look, bbbbozo, not once did I call you anti-anything...your tone of argument and slurs unsupported by facts speak for themselves.
<<Free Palestine from the Jewish settlers.>> NOT the "Israeli settlers"...
...when before 1948, a "Palestinian" almost always referred to a Jew of the region.
Finkelstein is a bitter turncoat with an axe to grind, still believing that Jewish lawyers ripped him off. You won't see him in a synagogue, so don't call him a Jew. An ex-Jew, maybe, unless you believe that Jewishness is racial, not religious, in which case, yep, you ARE a racist.
Email me...I'll give you my PO box # to send that Studio One to. You don't deserve it anyhow, you can't keep on the thread topic here. Matisyahu said nothing about the conflict in the Mideast, so that wasn't part of this thread til you $#!+ in the punchbowl.
HIGHPRAISE
April 01, 2006 12:40AM
uuumm .. Every generation carries tha burdon . Go back ,way back .....
bbbb
April 01, 2006 01:16AM
You said, //"when before 1948, a "Palestinian" almost always referred to a Jew of the region"//

Absolute unsupportable, foolish, uneducated, utter nonsense -- go back to school, fool.

Haven't you read the statistics by the best Jewish historians? Proffessor Avi Shlaim, highly respected Iraqi Jewish Oxford University scholar, conducted the latest research -- he asserts IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, that the Jewish population in Palestine before the influx of post ww2 European colonial Jewry and Zionist thieves and opportunists was NO MORE THAN 1O PERCENT of the population.

Go back to school , and read your own history, history recorded not by racists, not by Gentiles, BUT ACCURATE HISTORY RECORDED BY THE WORLD'S TOP JEWISH scholars.

Fools like Dershwitz et al TRY and argue with the great men like Finkelstein, Chomsky, Shlaim and Morris -- but Dershowitz has been shot down in flames by both Finkelstien ( See "Beyond Chutzpah" ) and Chomsky.

Zionist "historians" like Wiesel, Dershowitz, Peters et al -- are no more than clowns, opportunists and plagiarists and liars. DO THE RESEARCH!

The sham of colonial Israel can't last much longer. The racist/anti Semite slur is so tired by now, and is no more than a lame distraction from the facts. Lets look at THE FACTS, not your western Zionist colonial "facts".

Robbers, colonial, illegal settlers = Israel.

Read the finest Jewish intellects and truth tellers , such as Finkelstein, Shlaim, Morris and Goodman for the truth -- they are exemplary and honest , respectable scholars.

MUST - TRY - HARDER.

Sorry, no studio One vinyl for Zionist colonials and settlers. You guys are beneath the level of racists. Robbers, liars , thieves -- Jewish settlers from Brooklyn, Paris, London and so on, have more rights than THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Palestinians who were ethnically cleansed ( See Benny Morris, Jewish historian for details ) ? GIVE ME A BREAK!

You are the racist here. Calling me a racist doesn't mean a thing to me. If you want to you are welcome to -- it is tired by now, and no longer deflects from the truth of the matter.

Have some courage and face the truth -- just like white settlers in Zimbabawe and SOuth africa did.....

Everyone wants Hamas et al to acknowledge Israel's "right to exist"...why on earth should they when the Israelis, settlers themselves from Ukraine, Lithuania, Poland, Iran, Ethiopia -- don't even accept PALESTINES RIGHT TO EXIST???

Why should Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Ethopian Jews have the so called "right of return" to the land when 100's of thousands of Arabs dont have the right of return who were forced out in '48 and '67.

You are a poorly educated man -- calling me a racist is such a tired slur, and coming from an Israel supporter, is laughable, and carries no power.

Who one earth respects the way Polish/Ukranian/Brooklyn settlers rob and loot land which doesnt belong to them? No one I know....

Go back to the library,read more than Leon Uris "Exodus" and Yahoo news, then we can debate more.

Your ignorance and dishonesty are extraordinary.
April 01, 2006 01:45AM
bbbb? That's the sound I make when I start eating burritos...
April 01, 2006 08:43AM
I've got a plethora of facts to support myself bbbbozo, and you still insist on slandering the vast bulk of Jews worldwide (save your wackjob apologists for terror) as "racists" and "Zionazis", but my granddad gave me a very good piece of advice that I will now follow...
"Never argue with an idiot, people might not be able to tell the difference."

bbbbuh-bye...

Zoki that's frighteningly accurate...
April 01, 2006 09:22PM
What kind of Mexican food they have in Serbia? Can't be worse than what I tasted in Amsterdam....I don't think.

April 01, 2006 10:34PM
anyway matis should sing some jewish music if hes real to his "roots" and stay far far away from reggae. babylon always trying to discredit rasta music with fools on top of the charts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login