Western Consciousness 2006 Poster
April 01, 2006 02:07AM

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
Re: Western Consciousness 2006 Poster
April 01, 2006 02:25AM
Boom!
April 01, 2006 02:26AM
Great lineup! Hope it lives up to its name...
April 01, 2006 02:30AM
I noticed the ticket price is 700-800. Anyone know an estimate as to the equivilent in US dollars? Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 01, 2006 02:34AM
I thought it was about $65 JA=$1 US...
papa ray
April 01, 2006 03:22AM
Here's to the sistah who appreciates Jamaican print poster as much as
moi----sho' would like to see the local reaction to Scratch's set, over in the sweet little port town of Sav.....
April 01, 2006 05:58AM
That lineup looks nice. They got a nice mixture of newer artists like Gyptian and Perfect with those older foundation artists like John Holt. Now if only I could get down to JA that quick. Any chance of getting John Holt, I-wayne or Perfect at this year's SNWMF? Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 01, 2006 06:20AM
FORWARD PERFECT AT SNWMF 2006!!!
April 01, 2006 06:47AM
I'd like to see John Holt and Jimmy & Tarrus Riley @ SNWMF...if I had my way the Soul Vendors would be mighty busy...
...not that bringing Adm. Tibet to Boonville wouldn't be totally off the hook

April 01, 2006 01:57PM
perfect puts on a great live show, he has got a anthonyb style energy.
i know he was turned down for his last visa (wrote the song "amerikka"winking smiley

scratch's mom lives across the street from my bredren in hanover.
she lives in a common board house, long time he hasnt come round there.
i dont expect JA to embrace his freak show performance, if it resembles the live act i saw a fewyears ago but ya never know??
April 01, 2006 02:55PM
BTW $700-$800J is about $12 american. Not too bad since some of those new promoters are asking that and more for one artist in Negril. jeeesh.

Scratch lives in Switzerland with his princess wife most of the time. She actually does comes from some kind of royalty but looks pretty much like any music lover in Austin. She can be just about as kooky as him but in a totally different way. She runs the business side of things and altho she asks for some very unusual things in the contract, she is business savvy.

Here is a funny story about Scratch from one of his trips to Austin. This may be one of those things where you had to be there to fully appreciate the humor but let me give you a try.

Scratch and his wife arrive in Austin one mid afternoon. They always get two separate rooms because Scratch wants his own bathroom. He carries a bag of magic with him that uses to decorate the bathroom his own personal way. Actually, I have never seen in the bag but I know customs has asked to look a few times and were a little taken aback..crystals, mojos, etc.a few things I won't mention, whatever...

His wife leaves her purse on the bed in the one room and goes to see Scratch in the other. She makes the mistake of leaving the door open to her room. When she comes back, her purse is gone. In it is cigarettes, wallet, photos and other assorted items as well as an envelope rolled and bound with rubber bands with a big fat wad of money probably from the last couple of gigs. The motel btw is on a major highway. She freaks out when she gets back (as any of us would) and they call the police. The police arrive and immediately see incense burning, candles, etc and Scratch in one of his 'outfits.' His wife is nearly hysterical. By then, the venue promoter has arrived too. The cop can't get any straight answers from Scratch and thinks he is zoned out in Mars. His wife who is very demanding and hysterical starts to make the cop think they are just a little too strange. The cop is writing down everything but what can one really do when you have left your motel door open in a very bad side of town right next to a major highway? There are no clues, nothing. Scratch seems to not even understand much about what is going on and really thinking about where to get a draw from a local fan (he actually later shows up at a local fans front door totally unannounced. the folks were delighted but never did they think LSP would just show up at their door with no notice). Meanwhile, the wife is hysterical and going off the deep end and the cop just gives up trying to take it very seriously and leaves. It seems he thinks he has run into a bunch of kooks and is not sure if he should even believe the story. As the venue owner (a woman) tries to calm Lee's wife down, she decides to just hunt around the motel grounds and lo and behold when she looks in the motel dumpster, there is Lee's wife's purse. Never expecting to find anything in it, she climbs in and retrieves the purse, and after climbing out with little help,looks in the purse and everything is there, money and all, except for a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

I don't know if anyone else can visualize the humor of the situation, especially the cops trying to talk to Scratch, but I can assure you, it was one of those very odd scenes. However, as I write this and in hindsight maybe it is not so weird for Austin with the large variety of music folks coming through here. They are probably lucky Scratch didn't burn the motel down.

Here is our model of democracy that night wearing his Jah Bless America hat.

a
April 01, 2006 03:18PM
you see nicotine really IS more addictive than cocaine! a
April 01, 2006 03:48PM
haha..good one ras a.

just for kicks, here is a photo of Abijah at Montreal June 2004:

Sista Irie's Conscious Party Photos
copyright 2004

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login