April 01, 2006 09:34PM
BOOM!!!!!
Re: SNWMF 2006 welcomes JAH SHAKA
April 01, 2006 09:37PM
shacka laka
Stevo
April 01, 2006 10:11PM
My wish has come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maximum respect to Warren & Gretchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 01, 2006 10:18PM
holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

give thanks
baldhed
April 02, 2006 06:56AM
please give him more time than a few years back. i seen shaka in london halloween 2003 & i dont think anything could beat a shaka session in london till 5 in the morning....i remember waiting for the underground to open after the show. nice times
April 02, 2006 10:46AM
=))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'll never get to sleep now - you realize this don't you?!?
April 02, 2006 04:30PM
ehhh, ok.

Stevo
April 02, 2006 07:44PM
So you're not too excited about Jah Shaka then, Chimino? I highly recommend being around when he plays. I can't imagine you won't like it. Did you catch him the last 2 times?
-Stevo
April 02, 2006 07:51PM
Dancehall nice again...
HIGHPRAISE
April 02, 2006 09:32PM
April 02, 2006 10:49PM
I've heard some live CDs of his, wasn't my thing really...

April 03, 2006 12:16AM
im not to familiar with jah shaka sound-only the things i have read here about it.
what type of sound is this exactly? i know over inna uk they run things a little different-such as using only one turn table and such. i read the bio page but all i realy got out of it was how great he was- i guess what im asking is- what his style is like-foundation-roots-dub-his own matterial.....
one love-juan love
Stevo
April 03, 2006 12:28AM
Jah Shaka's selection mos def carries a distinct vibe. Roots and Dub. But beyond that, he checks for more furious steppers with destructive basslines and ear shattering hi's. Not too much S1 and rubadub selection at all. The best of the best of early 80's steppers roots, late 80's digi roots, 90's digi roots, post millenial armagedon dubwise, and nuff of the hardest dubplates there ever was from old to new. And the man chats and sings pon the mic with a distinct style, giving praises to Jah everytime. Jah Shaka=Jah Jah's Sound. Respect.
-Stevo
April 03, 2006 12:46AM
thanks stevo-
one love-juan love
April 03, 2006 07:52AM
Yes I Stevo...Forward!
April 03, 2006 04:10PM
Shaka is not for the weakheart. He came into the dancehall a few years back and the first thing he did was tape his own pictures of Haile Selassie I right up over all the other non-Rasta posters on the speakers and turntable. Shaka is Rasta Music, serious Rasta Music. Again, not for the weakheart (no offense, really, just the truth is all).

Peace
---------------------------------------------------

April 03, 2006 07:20PM
"Salute! ..to the legendary,
Salute! ..for giving vibes unto we,
Salute! ..to the legendary,
Jah Jah sound, Jah Jah sound, mek the people rally round!"
mosiahigh777
April 03, 2006 07:23PM
FAR-I FOR I&I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 03, 2006 09:21PM
>is this for real! oh my my*
KINGS music^
>much RASpects to the snwmf mazzive n' crew, u know what to do!
>nice up the place,yes i*
pale ryder
April 03, 2006 10:09PM
Jah is for I and I.....Who can be against I.....
Wandering in the wilderness and found Manna from Heaven....... When them grow weary with thirst the staff strikes the rock for the blessed water.....Those that strive for righteousness will never be put under.....
See you in the dance......
April 04, 2006 06:24AM
bump
Give me A Friggin BREAK!!!
April 04, 2006 03:24PM

Jah Shaka is great on HIS sound system. The last two times he's played SNWMF they provided incredibly inadequate equipment for him. In a nutshell, it sucked, and I’m sure it will again…

Fly to England to hear Shaka, ‘cuz Cali promoters just don’t understand what they need to provide him.
jb welda
April 04, 2006 04:17PM
well youre right about the fly to england to hear shaka part except his kit got nicked and so there aint no shaka in england at the moment. hes been through worse though and im sure he will rise like the phoenix.

as for the last time at snwmf, youre a bit confused on the situation. the sound system was touted as a killer from jack ruby but turned out to be somewhat less than that. it was too late to do anything unfortunately by the time shaka tried it out. it improved immensely the next night through sound reinforcement of a major level.

this year the sound should be much better but that said dont expect the true shaka experience because he wont have brought his ancient garrard transcription platter, nor his heavy duty custom amplification nor his many huge speaker boxes. maybe if the fest charged 250 $ a ticket it could afford to fly over all that stuff; but again, someone other than shaka apparently has it in their possession.

so...is your cup half empty or half full? at least you will experience the warrior style in person even if its not full dbs, he will still have killer dub plates with him.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
April 04, 2006 06:15PM
read all about it:

[www.culturereggae.co.uk]

one love
jah bill

Stevo
April 04, 2006 09:13PM
Ok, WTF does "nicked" mean JB?
jb welda
April 04, 2006 09:18PM
i thought you were a brit or something stevo.

nicked means stolen

one love
jah bill
Stevo
April 04, 2006 09:58PM
Just wish I was=)

I knew what it meant. I just love it when people who post on this board as well as that one, come over here and use the lingo. hehe. I can be a real bloody nutter ya know.
jb welda
April 04, 2006 10:00PM
"that one" meaning blood and fire doesnt come into it, ive used "nicked" for 30 or so years now stevo!

i also call the engine cover of my car the "bonnet" if you must know. comes with the lotus and mg i guess.

one love
jah bill
April 04, 2006 10:06PM

Didn't he have some issues the FIRST time he played in MARYSVILLE too? One turntable or something. It was sounding REALLY deep tho...

-s
Stevo
April 04, 2006 10:21PM
Maybe Shaka's set WAS simply "nicked" and not "stolen" after all!!!???!!!!!!
jb welda
April 04, 2006 10:21PM
shaka uses one turntable. thats his style. he talks while he changes records. or not.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
April 04, 2006 10:22PM
stevo i wrote that and i meant stolen so im not clear on what youre implying.

one love
jah bill
April 04, 2006 10:22PM
I thought he was using tapes in 02...
jb welda
April 04, 2006 10:24PM
then you was at a different snwmf than i was bun

mad professor used tapes to back up lee perry so maybe thats what you mean.

one love
jah bill
Stevo
April 04, 2006 10:27PM
Yes, so that by the time you're just getting over the musical high from one tune, you're not already half done with the next one. Selecting platters for the altar to burn one at a time. Lends a bit more credit to each tune. When using one turntable, and letting an intro start from silence, you can't really select all the ice cream biz that's out there!!!!!!!!
-Stevo
Stevo
April 04, 2006 10:28PM
JB just amusing myself bredren.
jb welda
April 04, 2006 10:35PM
yes im easily amused too stevo!

:-)

one love
jah bill
April 04, 2006 11:38PM
"Didn't he have some issues the FIRST time he played in MARYSVILLE too? One turntable or something. It was sounding REALLY deep tho..."
>yeh mon this is the warrior style!
>from wha i overstand if u try to come with two tables in UK area people will shout bad tings & even throw objects @ u for trying the double american standerd.
>no need to worry when talking about Shaka.
>he can do everyting. produce, select, MC, sing & run controls all @ same time by him self...
>no need to bum rush the show the dance is in very good hands here!
BIG IT UP! cause there is a very nice conscious dub celebration to come iNi way*
-and it's about time we salute! giv+thanx everytime*

-RASpects+
April 05, 2006 12:29AM
"oo's th'bleedin' bawsted nicked Shaka's geah? Fancy it's some chav wanker"

/I know it's a lousy attempt, I'd need subtitles to watch Fawlty Towers on PBS...
jb welda
April 05, 2006 04:02AM
come in peter levi!

one love
jah bill
April 05, 2006 04:15AM
Yes, haven't heard much from Mr. Levi since he jumped the pond again. Hope all is well - was a definite pleasure to meet Peter and Kelly (? - hope I remember that right), fantastic people.
May 16, 2006 09:49PM
ive notist that jah shaka has worked with some of the artist on the line up~ is there any posibility that any of them will perform long side shaka sound?
one love-juan love
May 16, 2006 10:32PM
anything is possible juan.

one love
jah bill
May 16, 2006 10:43PM
i'll keep holding my breath then : )
one love-juan love
May 16, 2006 10:54PM
I really liked those Shaka sessions with ASWAD, some nice clean dubs....Sometimes I get a little disenchanted with all the sirens and echos....
May 17, 2006 12:20AM
I think any artists performing with Shaka would be a pure waste of time. Especially considering what limited time we have him for. Jah Shaka is a one man ting. He holds the mic down just the way he likes it. I'm sure the man has had someone nice up his sessions before, but honestly, I can't say I've ever heard of even one time that's happened.

-Stevo

DUB IS TOO DREAD FOR WORDS.... binghi2digi
May 18, 2006 04:24AM
What's the tune on there Pale? "Creation" is it? Wicked!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2006 03:34PM
Warrior Charge and Creation are a few a dem......
May 23, 2006 02:21PM
Stevo, Shaka's had a number of artists appear on the sound over the years in London, both billed & unbilled. He had Big Youth about 10 years ago & more recently Mike Brooks & Ranking Joe. In the 70's he had quite a few JA DJ's who were passing thru London & would hold the mic for him... I have a tape with Ranking Dread DJ'ing for him somewhere in my vaults...

www.reggaemusicstore.com
May 23, 2006 11:38PM
>KINGS SOUN' pon top!
siren, whistle, whistle, more siren!

-RASpects+
May 24, 2006 12:23AM
Steve-
Thanks for the info. I would've guessed it had happened on at least a few occasions over the years. But it still sounds like it was few and far between.

Do you think it elevates Shaka's set? Or do you think it takes away from it? I suppose that it would depend on who's standing in. As well as the venue and what not. Respect.

May 24, 2006 07:42AM
Stevo, the Big Youth one was billed in advance, there might even have been another artist there too, I didn't go & I can't remember. I did hear a tape of when he had Mike Brooks on the mic, I think it was probably a spontaneous thing where Brooks happened to be there & just felt the vibes, he certainly sounded good, again with Ranking Joe I wasn't there but I heard he tore it up. Shaka doesn't really need anyone else to add to the vibes as he's more than capable of handling everything himself & in a way some of his uniqueness stems from the fact that he runs the whole thing alone - operator, selector & DJ (MC) unlike most other sounds who have their full crew. There was a time in the 80's when he had another MC whose name I can't remember who used to hold the mic a lot, sometimes for most of the session, other times him & shaka would share the mic, just depending on the vibes really. In the 70's when a lot of JA MC's passed thru London they'd usually hold the mic on the big sounds of the day. U Brown was a regular with Fatman at one time, the other big names would pass thru either Sir Coxsone or Shaka. Coxsone was known for having a lot of their own MC's & also a lot of visiting artists, with Shaka it was more of a rarity.

www.reggaemusicstore.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login