Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

REGGAE LITE IN HAWAII

Posted by papa ray 
papa ray
REGGAE LITE IN HAWAII
April 04, 2006 12:09PM
Well folks, I's in Hawaii for a few days and noticed how much reggae gets played all around, including the radio,non-stop, BUT---I ain't heard ONE striking piece of Jamaican!

Except for UB40(which here sounds authoritative in the mix), it's all home-grown hawaiin artists, and it comes off pretty sweet but soft and nuh' crucial. The future of reggae as MOR ----nice onna radio while cruising, but damn-bland. This is probably not news to anyone here, but it wuz to me. Aloha, y'all.
jb welda
Re: REGGAE LITE IN HAWAII
April 04, 2006 12:53PM
where are you, what island?

if youre on the big island go to hilo or kona and the conscious riddims shops there and here hard roots. say hi from jah bill while youre at it.

even though commercial radio is soft at least it plays reggae of some sort. thats a lot more than i can say for around here in cali. i was pretty astounded by hearing marley nearly constantly on commercial radio and the youths often asked what it was i was blasting from my rent a car.

have fun, hope you stay dry. at least the wet is the same temp as the air.

one love
jah bill
DoubleA
April 04, 2006 02:45PM
I feel ya. I just moved out here in January, and the amount of cheesy reggae on the radio is pretty incredible. But at least they play reggae on mainstream stations, and you will even hear some good songs snuck in here and there. I heard a great song from the 80's that had never heard before. "Picture on the Wall" by the Natural Ites.

There are also some very good bands out here, that don't get any radio play. If you are on Oahu, I suggest you check out Hot Rain. They play every Tuesday at Mai Tai's, as well as every Wednesday at some hotel in Waikiki, I forget which one. Club Bliss has a reggae night on Fridays that usually has good groups.
April 04, 2006 02:47PM
Oshen!!!!!!
April 04, 2006 02:48PM

Maui is my second home: you will not hear JA reggae there, but TONS of local stuff...

-s
pale ryder
April 04, 2006 02:55PM
Bobba B, Fiji, and Iz are pretty cheesey. On my last trip that was practically all I heard.
jb welda
April 04, 2006 02:58PM
on some local hilo station i heard a lot of marley but also toots and maytals, israel vibration, jimmy cliff, scotty (stop that train/draw your brakes) (basically harder they come soundtrack), i think i recall a bunny wailers song and "legalize it" by tosh plus an anthony b cut, and i think some beenie or bounty or sizzla or some shouting business like that. oh and lets not forget the inevitable welcome to jamrock but that hardly counts as reggae anymore. and i wasnt listening all too much, just mostly at this place i went to for breakfast and lunch before heading out for the day.

one love
jah bill
April 04, 2006 03:06PM
I heard Wayne Wonder's No Letting Go in the same grocery store on 5 different occations on kauai. And that was 4 years after it's release.

I heard on tune I like, a female vocalist singing about cruising around in a jeep and eating chocolate bun. I would love to know who it is... anyone???
April 04, 2006 03:09PM
spleece, are you serious???

here you go papa ray:

[www.reggae-paradise.com]

RADIO

O'AHU

KTUH 90.3 FM
Streaming MP3
Mondays 3-6PM
Beast Reggae
with Big Bar
Beast Reggae

Wednesdays 3-6PM
The Peep Show
with EZ Al

Fridays 3-6PM
Friday Afternoon Bashment
with Loriel

Sundays 12-3PM
Majestic I-Powa Reggae Tree
with Ras I-chard

MAUI

Da Jam 98.3 FM
Saturdays 6PM-12AM
Da Jammin Reggae Show
With Righteous Roger

KNUQ 103.7 FM
Saturdays 7PM-12AM
The Original Reggae Radio Show
With Spence Jah

KAUA'I

KKCR 90.9 FM/91.9 FM
Live Audio Stream
Mondays 10PM-12AM
Reggae Train
with Andrew

Tuesdays 12-2PM
Island Roots Showcase
with Willy Judah or Dave Brune

Thursdays 10PM-12AM
Reggae Happenings/House of David
with Dave Brune

Sundays 9PM-12AM
Jah Rastafari Reggae Showcase
with Willy Judah

Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance
April 04, 2006 03:11PM
BIG ISLAND

KCOF 102.5 FM Kona
Fridays 530-1030PM
All Roots & Culture
with Roots Gwann

University Radio Hilo
Sundays 4-6PM
Reggae Sunsplash
with Trevor

Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance
April 04, 2006 03:12PM
Yo, big up Aaron. Man got me and my wife into Bambu Station last July 4th. Don Ho's Yo.
April 04, 2006 04:06PM
big up 4 all the reggae that you all play and enjoy.
April 04, 2006 04:19PM

>spleece, are you serious???

Serious about Maui being my second home or serious about not hearing any GOOD reggae there?

YEs, and yes: I am serious about both...

-s
jb welda
April 04, 2006 04:22PM
do you own a place on maui? whereabouts?

one love
jah bill
April 04, 2006 04:26PM
> check for T.H.C. crew or a local like Marty Dread for sum flavor*
-RASpects+

-RASpects+
scandal corner
April 04, 2006 04:28PM
April 04, 2006 04:41PM

>whereabouts?

Kihei, down on Uluniu Road...

-s
Kalalau6
April 04, 2006 09:24PM
Just got back from Maui myself last night (Hana + Haleakala = Bliss!)- already missing the ('lite') radio vibrations...but thank God for KPFA!
Kalalau6
April 04, 2006 09:43PM
Cherry Cherry Bom Bom...!!
gardenflower
April 05, 2006 12:59AM
yeah, it's a bit of a surprise( guess it shouldn't be) to hear "dentist office" or "elevator music" reggae. I need it crucial.
JFX
April 06, 2006 08:40AM
Yo also...every tuesday at "the wave" waikiki DJ Sovern-T and guests (dancehall room downstairs..) 18 and up..
then DJ Sovern-T plays dancehall & reggae EVERY friday at "Indigo" downtown Honolulu (in Chinatown)..... ting called "Get Fresh" friday's....been going on 3+ yrs or so.....

respect.
JFX
April 06, 2006 08:43AM
p.s.

6/9/06 "DJ JFX", "DJ Sovern-T"& "Ky-Mani Marley" live in Maui....
6/10/06 "DJ JFX", "DJ Sovern-T" , "Ky-Mani Marley", "Baby Cham" & "Mr. Vegas" @ "Hawaiian adventures water park" Honolulu.....

check
[www.double-o-spot.com]

respect.
papa ray
April 06, 2006 12:15PM
Yes musical bredrin, leaving maui today, spent a day in hilo Bill, what a much
different vibe in every way. A spacious feeling of being at the end of the earth.
While standing & looking down at the volcano the silence was stunning. Also, the
independence movement seemed most strong on hilo, altho my initial guess about this is everyone's too laid back on these islands to forward that idea beyond a
committed few. I watched as a book of hawaian tribal law, in the indigenous language, was being hand-bound in a shop run by those supporting independence.
Nice visit, and I could so happily have fish as my favorite breakfast dish if
living in these parts. Malaho, y'all....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login