Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT- massachusetts - health insurance for ALL in july 2007?

Posted by roots-ee 
OT- massachusetts - health insurance for ALL in july 2007?
April 05, 2006 10:35PM
sounds promising for the future...
Re: OT- massachusetts - health insurance for ALL in july 2007?
April 05, 2006 10:40PM
>boston beans*

-RASpects+
jb welda
April 05, 2006 11:06PM
yeah its the law now that everyone has to buy health insurance. i dont know what sounds so blipping promising about that. sounds like another insurance company payoff to me.

one love
jah bill
April 05, 2006 11:08PM
maybe if the state mandates health insurance it will also somehow cause the now mandatory health insurance to be affordable for the poor and working poor. a sad commentary on our government when people cannot afford medical treatment.
April 05, 2006 11:13PM
Suppily and demand, bro, basic economics. If demand goes up (and it will) the only thing keeping prices from going up would be governmental regulation (and good luck holding your breath for that, look recent governmental actions reguarding healthcare). If you HAVE to have something, companies will charge you as much as possible for it.

A much beter idea would be a sliding scale based on income, but again, look at governmental treatment of the lower class recently. It's more likely to rain perscription pills than it is for the government to make healthcare affordable.

So, in short, grab your perscription bottles and hold them up to the sky...
jb welda
April 05, 2006 11:24PM
in all fairness i have to add the article i read on this today did mention some sort of sliding scale or at least implied it. what that means to me is probably low or no cost to those with zero money but if you make even a little over min wage they sock it to you big time.

one love
jah bill
April 05, 2006 11:33PM
Then that is no real sliding scale. Real sliding scale means rich people overpay so poor people can underpay, with middle class pepole paying the right amount.
jb welda
April 05, 2006 11:38PM
thank you for making my point more clear b kel.

one love
jah bill
April 05, 2006 11:38PM
universal health care bill passes -

[www.thecrimson.com]
April 05, 2006 11:43PM
Gotta love the names on these bills.

"Universal healthcare" would be ensuring healthcare for all, even those who cannot afford it (anyone ever been to Canada?)

This plan is more like "Manditory healthcare"

...and the rich get richer
jb welda
April 05, 2006 11:45PM
read closer:

"
Under the plan, uninsured Massachusetts citizens who can afford health coverage must buy it—or face tax penalties that could amount to $1,000 a year. Businesses with more than 10 workers that do not provide insurance to their workers will be slapped with a $295-per-employee charge.

The plan “will not be instantly positive for everyone,” said Professor of Health Policy and Management Robert J. Blendon, referring to the fines levied by the legislation.

But citizens who are too poor to buy insurance themselves will get a huge boost. For instance, single adults making under $9,500 a year will have health care coverage without premiums or deductibles.
"

that doesnt sound too great to me. for one thing it will cost 1000 a year in "tax penalties" just to live in mass if you dont comply with the law. and it seems if you make 10k a year you are rich enough to afford insurance.

more politricks to keep the people fooled and the insurance companies rich.

one love
jah bill
April 06, 2006 02:19PM
another thing a bill like this means in america...

more unnecessary hospital procedures/ prescriptions. Forcing everyone to have health insurance is like giving greedy doctors/pharmaceutical companies/hospitals a blank check. Soon 9 out of 10 massachusettes people will be needing some sort of prescription drug/surgery they had no idea they needed before this bill passed.
and this will drive up the cost of health insurance

Post Edited (04-06-06 07:26)
April 06, 2006 09:21PM
Dude, I hate to break it to you, JB, but depending on locality, $10k is around the poverty line, and the poverty line is historically about 1/2 of the cost of living. People making under $10k a year are gonna have a hard enough time paying for food and shelter, let alone insurance.
jb welda
April 06, 2006 10:13PM
dude i hate to break it to you b kel, but that was exactly my point. i only attempted to make it like three times.

one love
jah bill
April 07, 2006 12:46PM
b_kel said:

A much beter idea would be a sliding scale based on income

Unfortunately, health care providers aren't allowed to offer sliding scales based upon income, as it violates most if not all contracts with third party payors such as Blue Cross. Not that a few physicians don't do it anyway, but they're not supposed to.

Our health care system is broken at all ends. And I don't trust the government to fix it. Look what happened in Tennessee when they tried to provide health care for all- TennCare was an abysmal flop.

Respect-

Bahilman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login