Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minding One's Own Business

Posted by Ninjacat 
Minding One's Own Business
April 07, 2006 10:50AM
It seems to me that any time there is a thread posted that someone is not interested in discussing they somehow find the time to go in and post how they are not interested in discussing the post. This is strange at best so I have an idea. Don't post on threads that you do not find interesting. I know this is hard to overstand but it is really easy and I can tell yo hoe to do do it, the nest time you see a subject that you are not interestedin, don't click on it. Try this a few times and if you are still having trouble I or any other person over the age of 5 can help you out.
TR-808
Re: Minding One's Own Business
April 07, 2006 10:56AM
April 07, 2006 11:01AM
wrong color and sex
jb welda
April 07, 2006 11:17AM
hey ninja when did you get appointed as moderator or as the one who sets rules?

imo solid is quite within his rights to come into "your" thread and say what he wants. *you* on the other hand are way out of line telling him to mind "his own business".

go make your own message board and do what you want there. here you are merely one of the crowd and dont make or interpret the rules.

one love
jah bill
April 07, 2006 11:19AM
JB what are you speaking of I have no idea what solid said.
TR-808
April 07, 2006 11:21AM
he's referring to me

--
April 07, 2006 11:22AM
not to mention if he is within his rights (not sure what he said) than am I not within my right to post this thread. i am not moderating anything I am pointing out that if something doe snot hold intrest for you mit may for someone else.
jb welda
April 07, 2006 11:23AM
sorry i meant "tr-808". the point remains the same.

one love
jah bill
April 07, 2006 11:24AM
"hey ninja when did you get appointed as moderator or as the one who sets rules?"

was wondering the same thing about yourself, welder.

jb welda
April 07, 2006 11:25AM
i never said i was the moderator but you might be surprised chimino.

one love
jah bill
April 07, 2006 11:29AM
jb you know waht I am talking about, I put up a post about Judas and this cat feels the need to come in offer nothing and point out that the thread has nothing to do with Reggae, which is blatantly obvious.
TR-808
April 07, 2006 11:29AM

so is the question reframed?

who's business are we all minding?

--
jb welda
April 07, 2006 11:32AM
personally tr-808, im minding the business about how im going to get a recording of that downbeat meets rodigan show youre going to next week!

one love
jah bill
TR-808
April 07, 2006 11:36AM

> put up a post about Judas and this cat feels the need to come in offer
> nothing and point out that the thread has nothing to do with Reggae,
> which is blatantly obvious

right, and this is supposed to be a "place for people to reason about reggae music and the SNWMF" and i've notice a lot of religion posting on here. too much for my preference... so i posted that. and when you bawled about it i stepped outta there, and stayed out even after chimmy cried about it.

do you want daniel to erase the post, ninjacat?

are you going to be ok?

and isn't you armor a bit thin for a "ninja"?

maybe you should change to a different kind of cat.. one that is sensitive and emotional. hmmm .... what kind of cat would that be..

i can't think of anything

--
TR-808
April 07, 2006 11:37AM

jb i'm highly confident it will be recorded

but i can probably get your setup where you want it.. let's talk this weekend

--
April 07, 2006 11:43AM
cassette lindsay will have that one on the street within two weeks.

jb welda
April 07, 2006 11:47AM
i would rather not depend on some "cassette lindsay" and some dodgy recording if i can get to the source myself. but thanks for throwing that in, its always a possiblity i guess. im just not sure what street to find this person. i would prefer to buy it from downbeat or roddy to be honest but just not sure it will ever get to that level.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
April 07, 2006 11:54AM
Q. Please help me help my scaredy-cat!
Behavior FAQ

My cat, Clover becomes absolutely hysterical each time I take her to get her nails trimmed at the vet's office - at one point, there were two adults trying to restrain her long enough to trim her nails and believe it or not, they were unable to do it. Even when she gets into the car enroute the vet, she starts to cry and then I get emotional too.
I adopted Clover at only 5 weeks old and I'm the only person she's ever been around. Could this be an issue with lack of social skills?

A.

I think you are spot on with your analysis of Clover's fear of "strangers." Ideally, kittens should remain with their mother cat until at least eight weeks, and preferably, 12 weeks. They need that time to learn social skills from their mother: how to relate to humans, to other cats and/or other pets in the household. Since you became Clover's "surrogate mom" when she was at the tender age of five weeks, she would be dependent on you for learning these social skills.
So, the vet visits for nail trimming would be extremely traumatic to her for at least three reasons:

She's being forced to leave her home, the only place she feels safe
She's exposed to strange humans in a strange atmosphere filled with strange smells
These strangers are forcibly trying to commit a "violation" on her, e.g. trimming her claws The solution to the immediate problem is an easy one. Learn to trim Clover's claws yourself. Since she feels safe with you, that's one hurdle overcome. Just wait until she is sleepy and content on your lap. Start by just holding her paw in your hand and gently pressing it to expose the claws - very non-threatening. After a few days of accustoming her to that, you can try trimming one nail. If that goes well, try another. I have complete instructions on my How To page on Trimming Claws.

Eventually, it would be very desirable if you could accustom Clover to other humans, preferably by enlisting a friend who likes cats. Have that person visit you and bring with them an interactive toy, such as Da Bird. (You can buy the toy and give it to your visitor before he/she comes, so Clover won't see it.) Ask your visitor to ignore Clover when she arrives at your home. She can say "hello, Clover," but otherwise should make no effort to approach her. Have your visitor sit in a chair and dangle Da Bird enticingly, still ignoring the cat while she talks quietly to you. The bird's "flying action" is irresistible to cats, and in a short time Clover should be playing with it.

After a short period of play, your friend should leave, taking Da Bird with her. The point is to associate this "strange human" with a pleasurable activity. After a couple more visits, going through the same motions each time, the friend can bring a food treat to Clover. A treat that my cats find irresistible is bonito tuna flakes. They can be found at most pet supply stores and are marketed under different name: Kitty Kaviar, Tuna Flakes, or Cosmic Tuna Flakes are a few.
She can offer the treat directly to Clover, or if Clover is still shy, put some in a dish near herself, so that kitty will associate the treat with your friend.
Online Sources for Bonito Tuna Flakes

After a few more visits, Clover should feel completely comfortable with this previous stranger, and you can ask someone else to try the same experiment, with a different toy and treat this time. Hopefully, eventually Clover will be comfortable with several other people. The trick is slow and gradual exposure in a non-threatening atmosphere: Clover's home.

The vet clinic may always be a frightening experience for Clover, because of her previous negative association with it. Their suggestion of a "mild, natural sedative" is a good one. I'm not sure what they specifically recommended, but Bach Flower Essences, in particular Bach Rescue Remedy can be very helpful for fearful cats. As your vet mentioned, just a couple of drops in a water bowl can have a calming effect on cats. You might also want to try it when you expect company, particularly in case of a large crowd.

Also, try to curb your own emotions when taking Clover to the vet. You're only "telegraphing" your fear to her, so try to be upbeat and positive about the visit. By the way, Rescue Remedy can also be used by humans for the same purpose. A couple of drops in a glass of water can have a very calming effect.

Although Clover may never convert completely from "Scaredy-Cat" to "Ms. Society Queen," I hope that some of these suggestions will help overcome her fear of strangers.

Suggested Reading
Top Picks: Interactive Toys
Top Picks: Treats for Cats
Shyness and Fear in Cats
Related Blogs
New Cat City
wildrun
The PsychoKitty Speaks Out
BloggingCat.com
Amazing Felines
William of Mass Destruction
Derby, the Sassy CAt