Please pass this on,
April 10, 2006 04:21AM
Please pass this on,
This is Important stuff folks,

Report: U.S. Ponders Iran Invasion

April 9, 2006

(AP / CBS)
FAST FACTS

Hersh quotes one former senior intelligence official as saying that Mr. Bush views Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a "potential Adolph Hitler."

(CBS) Plans for a U.S. attack on Iran over its nuclear ambitions are being explored, according to reports by the Washington Post and The New Yorker magazine.

As reporter Seymour Hersh explains in the April 17 issue of The New Yorker, members of the U.S. military, more and more, believe President Bush is leaning toward a "regime change" in Iran as the best way to quell the country's quest for nuclear capabilities.

Hersh quotes one former senior intelligence official as saying that Mr. Bush views Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a "potential Adolph Hitler."

For more than 30 years Hersh's reporting on the military has been controversial, but accurate,including exposing the My Lai massacre in the Vietnam war and the Abu Ghraib scandal in Iraq, reports CBS News correspondent Dave Browde.

The Washington Post reports possible targets for a U.S. attack on Iran include facilities where uranium enrichment plant and a uranium conversion take place, according to current and former officials with the Pentagon and CIA. The Post adds that officials are looking at airstrikes and bombing campaigns, but not a land invasion.

"Surely, the report will spur debate about U.S. military action against Iran, particularly since U.S.-Iran talks regarding Iraq are tentatively scheduled for mid-April and because U.S. military action would be opposed by most world leaders," CBS News foreign affairs analyst Pamela Falk says.

"The U.N. in late March gave Iran one month and asked the international watchdog agency to report back on Iran's compliance on freezing its nuclear program, but according to the Hersh report, the White House has increased its military planning for possible attacks against Iran and has not ruled out using tactical bunker-busting nuclear weapons, in the event negotiations fail," Falk says.

"The unity of the world powers at the United Nations ends with a stern warning, mainly because Russia and China have made no bones about opposing sanctions or harsher action," Falk says, "leaving the Bush administration planning for a coalition of countries to impose sanctions and, according to the Hersh report, military action."

©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

From my Book Open Spaces:

Open Spaces
My Life with Leonard J. Mountain Chief
By Jay North

A Clear Mountain Morning Of
Nuclear Vision

There is something about the phone ringing at 8 a.m. that makes me mindful of new beginnings. At 8 a.m., my mind says it’s time to embrace the day. I remember thinking that very thing one Friday morning in 1991, as the phone began ringing.

It was Leonard on the other end. He called to ask me to come over right way. Whatever it was, he said, couldn’t wait. I was excited about getting to visit with him, and responded, “Leonard, it’s been snowing like hell man, can we discuss this without me coming over? It looks pretty rough…..” The fact is that I’d love to see Leonard, but the January snows in northwest Montana along the Great Divide can be treacherous. Leonard’s tone, his way of gently commanding came right through the phone that morning. “No, you need to come right way,” he replied, and that ended our conversation.

“Pammy, guess I’ll take a ride over east this morning. Leonard has something important to discuss, and he says it can’t wait. He asked me come right over. Do you feel like makin’ the drive with me?” My late wife of twenty four years smiled and replied, “Jay, your time with Leonard is precious, and I’m sure he didn’t say, ‘be sure and bring that pretty little wife of yours’, now did he?” She was enjoying this way of chiding me. “Okay, but it would sure be nice to have a ride along over the pass,” I said. She replied in a more serious tone, “No, I don’t want to interrupt whatever he has in mind for you. I’ll pack you a lunch and some coffee while you get dressed. Now you go on.” And I did.

The drive over the divide that morning is hard to describe, except that there was an awesome beauty, even in the white treachery. January is the dead of winter in Northwest Montana and everything in sight is white, including where the road should be. In January, the elk are down low on their winter ground, but the mule deer can be a nuisance on the road. When stopped to inspect the road ahead, or just to enjoy the scenery, it’s easy to spot bald eagle flying overhead. That morning was no exception.

I watched closely, every movement around every bend, for mountain goat and big horn sheep to be at the road’s edge licking the natural salts off any exposed rocks. In January, the animal kingdom hunts for live food and high grasses, all except the bear, and they are smart enough to stay home and sleep.
The snowfall continued every mile. Visibility and road conditions deteriorated, as did my pace. It made the going slow, but the drive was beautiful, and nearly every mile I was reminded of the power that made us and kept us alive through grace.

I could just make out the shape of the corner of his house because of the crest of wind-swept snow. Leonard was bringing in the last wood for the night as I arrived. He was a big, well built man and his strength and power seemed to be a part of his spirit. “How was your drive?” he hollered from the corner of the porch. “Long,” I replied, and I kicked some of the snow from under the fender, as I strode across the drive. “Snow was thick up on the pass and I had to take it slow.” He was laughing out loud and pointing to his watch, “Slow? It’s 4 o’clock! Thought sure you’d decided to camp up on the pass.” I quickly retorted, “Jeez, Leonard, I’m pooped, anyway what’s on the stove?”

He kicked the door open with his boot and said over his shoulder, “Let’s see what late arrivals get…” He invited me to sit by the fire while he filled bowls with the thick moose stew.” The house smelled with rich aromas of wood fire and food.

“Bring any coffee?” he asked knowing the answer. “You bet. Do you think Pammy would ever forget your favorite coffee? She wouldn’t let me out of the house without it,” and I continued, “Leonard, no disrespect, but what the heck was so important that I needed to come today?” He answered, “Life, my boy, life. We’ll talk tomorrow.”

The morning light looked like the sun was on the third click of a 3-way bulb. It was the brightest morning I’d ever seen. The sun blazed on the thick new snow, which covered literally everything. “Come out on the front field with me,” Leonard urged, “let’s smoke awhile.” If Leonard wanted to have a smoke, I knew he had something of deep significance to impart. It was his way of telling me to take seriously what he had to say.
“We have a choice,” he began. “Right now, in our history on this planet, we have a choice to live or to die -- and it’s up to you and me to decide if our children and grandchildren will have a place to run and to play.” I heard a tone in his voice that brought goose bumps up on my neck and arms, and I asked, “Why now?”

What he told me nearly brought me to my knees. “It came to me night before last, just a few hours before I called you.” Leonard relied, “The President is going to attack Iraq in the next few days. He is going to make war against these dark skinned people of far away and one day this will lead to many more deaths, and then he will see,” he continued, “that the war in the mind of many of your leaders is a war inside their heads. There is no war.” He swept his arms up and out, spun around slowly in a circle and said, “One day, nuclear power will end all of this – even this very place.”

We sat on a doe-skin blanket that covered the snow along a large jutting rock in the slope as Leonard continued describing the vision in which nuclear power had been revealed as the only evil power on our planet. He said that even though nuclear power had the capability to end all of life on earth, no one was talking about its danger. He exclaimed, “The press won’t talk about it because it is not news, schools won’t talk against it because the teacher’s hands are tied. The great leaders live like Kings and Gods, while the rest of us toil in the sun, but they won’t speak against it because their pockets are lined with gold from its killing.”

I began to realize the depth and meaning of what Leonard was revealing to me, and was certain that his vision had been very specific and clear. “One day, madmen will blow up several of these nuclear power stations and you will find that the endtime your churches, new age people and the Hopi have spoken of has come to pass. We people of the Blackfeet nation do not believe in this endtime prophecy because we have always been fighters, and we believe that every man can find goodness in his heart. We have always fought for what we believed was right for the people. Now we fight with thought, spoken words and pens.” He concluded his thought by bringing us back to current day scenario, “Jay, we only have a short time to be effective in this war!” He asked me again, if I would choose life. I told him that I do choose life, and then he told me, “Then go out and let that choice be heard.”

Leonard’s forceful demeanor quickly changed into a serious urgency to tell others of the vision he received. He asked me, “How many people do you know?” I replied sensing he had more to impart to me, “I don’t know, you mean the people of the reservation?” “No,” he replied, “people everywhere.”

Leonard pleaded with me in a quick, instructive way, “You must write to the thousands that you know, call them, go visit them, bring them the message that the nuclear plants must come down. Let them know that time is very important. My vision gave us no more than twenty years to be here on this planet, if the nuclear plants remain. Jay, you are my kindred, you must go with a message of peace and love for all the people of the planet, for people everywhere. Ask men and woman to look into their hearts and they will see the good and will act in a way that is their true way, only good. People know the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, and they must look into their hearts and live by what is there. You must tell them that their focus has to change from a self-serving focus to a focus of loving and serving one another. They must stop searching for those things that only serve themselves.”

He paused momentarily. “Do blow dryers, microwave ovens, and two or three televisions in our homes justify the use of this deadly technology? How ignorant and shortsighted have people become.” he stated. During Leonard’s account of his vision, he talked of spiritual things, of temporal things and of his own personal observations. He said the vision revealed to him that we help ourselves by thinking of future generations and giving them our love. He said that we must begin to do the things necessary to ensure life experience for the generations to come. He said that the vision had made clear that this is to be the lifework of each generation.

Those morning hours with Leonard seemed like minutes, and his message was truly for the ages. His inner power was replaced by a larger urgency, a power and a pleading, “Nuclear power has the ability to destroy life for many thousands of years, and now it is your job and mine and every other responsible person on this planet to disassemble it, there is nothing more important.” There were moments in Leonard’s narration that he wept with emotion, “The Great Spirit has spoken with me and conveyed that there is no way around this. No way around it for the President, and for Presidents to come.”

He continued, “The people of the Blackfeet nation have always been warriors; we fought bloody battles with opposing tribes and were the last to fight for Native American freedom in 1894. I could tell you many bitter tales of wars, killing and death. Bloody war is not necessary to keep peace, love and joy, and to survive. We have evolved; Peace and love between people must be so highly regarded that we would do anything to keep it, to pass it on to all people – everywhere. We must go out into the world and spread this message, as did your Jesus Christ over two thousand years ago. Now is the time of paramount importance for all the people to hear the message. The message of loving each other and our world, the message of being at peace with one another and our world, and the message of finding joy in each other and in our world.”

I remember that beautiful surreal morning like it was yesterday. I remember walking back with him up to his front porch. He was exhausted from recounting the vision, from the emotion and the grim reality of it. He asked me to hurry my communications to you. He asked me to tell you to turn out lights when you don’t use them, and to adjust your air-conditioning a few degrees. He asked all of us to reduce energy consumption every single way we can and to go outside to enjoy our world, to take a walk, to teach our children about our beautiful planet and its nature. Leonard asked us to look into the eyes of our children and think about what we are risking.

Before Leonard’s passing in 1999, he had many visions, all of which were vivid and all of which came to pass. In the vision given to him about nuclear power, I have no doubt that Leonard saw the power plants being dismantled all over the world, as well as vivid scenes of the consequences of their continued existence.

We have less than 10 years left, according to Leonard’s vision. I join Leonard in urging you to dismantle (peacefully) nuclear power plants and stations. Please write to your congressman, write to your newspaper, go into the schools and talk about it, talk about it in the office, and scream it in the streets. Spread the message of love, peace and joy!

I was with Leonard for ten years before his passing 1999 he adopted me as his son and horary member of the Blackfeet tribe, his love and presents lives on with me here today. We may only have a short time to just say no to nukes.
Love Peace and Joy
Jay North
www.GoingOrganic.com

Write your congressmen and senators just say no nukes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login