Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

some recent releases

Posted by jb welda 
jb welda
some recent releases
April 10, 2006 04:24AM
i got a chance to sit down and check out some recent arrivals so i thought i would post my impressions for others to consider.

first one would be slim smith: resurrection. this is a set of slim smiths original vocals over remade riddims from mafia and fluxy. this one might repel the purists but for most its a pretty nice set of uptempo remakes of classics. i have the cd edition which also contains another four dub versions vs the vinyl release, and at least three of them are inventive and aggressive cuts. there is also a delroy wilson set in this same serious, which i havent had a chance to sample yet, but based on this one the delroy set should be nice too.

second cd is a mr tipsy production called words come to past/marcus garvey riddim. this is a various artist compilation on a decent remake of burning spears famous riddim. bunny rugs takes the original lyrics for a nice run through, and ruddy thomas does a bit of "choice of colors" that echos lyrics from marcus garvey. other great tracks here are sizzlas africa yes (big surprise to me!), dem want food by muziiah, tony rebel with the leadoff track life dont take no holiday. i would assume most or all these have been out on 7" singles but not sure about that. even for a one-riddim album it is pretty diverse sounding; i actually listened to this three times in a row and didnt get tired of it.

next is whats probably a reissue of something from the mid 90s, augustus pablo and jr delgado showcase on message label. this features the two departed artists in a vocal/version showcase, mostly of keyboard led computer sound. decent but nothing really struck me, but it sounded like it would grow on me with more listenings.

a new one out on massive b features the under recorded king kong called "rumble jumble life". here we have king kong on remade classic riddims in many cases and to good effect all around. only the cut here of "trouble again" suffers from the mix, all the rest sound fresh and interesting. king kong really sounds like tenor saw on a few tracks most notably "jahs my best friend" and really come alive on "rumble jumble", "earth is the lord". "paradise lost", selassie rise. again many of these may have appeared on single before but here gathered together they make a strong collection from this distinctive voiced singjay.

saved the best for last, michael roses newest lp length release, "babylon a fight" on cou$ins label. man now this is killer all the way through, save maybe one or two tracks to my ear. rose has always been a real favorite of me but too often his albums have been a little too slick but this past year first twilight circus's release of "african roots" and now this current lp have upped the ante considerably. this one is full of classic riddims and rose riding them with skills and melody! the tu tu twa bit is toned down a little with more concentration on lyrical fire and singing style. theres some confusing titles here though, the title track is not the same as another rose track of late put out as a single under the same name, and one of his latest single releases, "want more weed", is included here but is called "smoke the herb" instead. thats all beside the point though as this album comes through loud and strong and i recommend you buy it immediately. the vinyl pressing i have also has almost zero noise on it and nice wallshaking deep bass so even if you usually buy cd you might think about getting a vinyl copy of this one.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
Re: some recent releases
April 10, 2006 04:42PM
oh yes let me add in the case of the slim smith set, if you dont have originals of his work i would advise picking those up first. this redo set is good on its own but i would really recommend anyone not familiar with slim smith, one of jamaicas top vocalists ever imo, get familiar first with his original recordings. observer who posts on this board was involved in the reissue of a two cd set just recently; maybe he can chime in with title and where one can pick it up. this remake set is really just icing on the cake.

one love
jah bill
The man
April 10, 2006 05:10PM
I would agree that Slim Smith is one of the greatest Jamaican singers. The Mafia & Fluxy set is alright, but the original recordings remain the best. At Striker Lee's behest I wrote sleevenotes for a 56-track album by Slim but Jetstar have released it withoutr my notes, even though they paid me for them. I assume that the release they have out is a pre-release copy and that my sleevenotes will be included in later editions.

Anyway, here's the link for the LP:
[www.jetstar.co.uk]

Observer
BMC
April 10, 2006 06:20PM
Thanks for the info on the Rose set, jb. Been looking at it, but didn't know if I should get it. Guess you didn't leave me much choice. ;-)
jb welda
April 10, 2006 06:35PM
[www.jetstar.co.uk]

one love
jah bill
The man
April 10, 2006 06:39PM
William, you know you are a darling!

Reel
jb welda
April 10, 2006 06:57PM
lets not get carried away now.

one love
jah bill
April 11, 2006 04:04AM
thanks jah bill..I am glad someone takes the time to post a few words about new releases..your taste and mine are probably not too different so getting a good review from you says a lot to me about quality..i will have to add all these releases to my "new" list

jah guide

gabriel
April 11, 2006 04:08AM
Thanks Bill - I like the sound of the Marcus Garvey album and the Michael Rose set. I recently got African Roots and even more recently African Dub both of which are excellent.

I like snow
April 12, 2006 05:58AM
Thanks for the suggestions Jah Bill.
Went out and boughtthe Babylon A Fight by M. Rose and enjoying it. Love the African Roots album. Fervently hoping his status for entering the U.S. would improve as would love to see him sing again.
Saw him reunite with Sly and Robbie at SNWMF several years ago doing the Black Uhuru tunes. That was a great Satur.day/night at the Fest with Apple singing with Wiss and Skelly again. A review of that show thought the Rose/Sly/Robbie set was flat/uninspired but I was pumped for bringing Uhuru (Rose version) to life again.
jb welda
April 12, 2006 05:47PM
>A review of that show thought the Rose/Sly/Robbie set was flat/uninspired

that might have been my review. a lot of potential but no rehearsal was my impression. but i would rather hear m rose do his own material than rehash uhuru stuff even though that was basically "his" material as well.

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login