Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

congos & "scratch" perry live

Posted by TracyCat 
congos & "scratch" perry live
April 10, 2006 06:45PM
I heard that congos are doing some live shows in the US? HOw about Lee "scratch" perry doing some shows in the US this summer?

peace and one love
The man
Re: congos & "scratch" perry live
April 10, 2006 06:54PM
Sorry Trace, but who wants to see a selfish and senile 70 year-old crook bleating on about how he killed the IRS, Barclays Bank and George Bush at a nice event for fresh young hippie folk?

Observer
papa ray
April 10, 2006 07:09PM
Penny, I hear that(although I loved his set of ads for Guinness)---but would it not
be more than worth-while if Scratch actually tried at SOME point to mount
a career-retrospective-review(possibly w/ artists he produced), or if nothing else,
his own songbook, from ska to black ark sounds?? I'll answer that question:
Yes, It would be WELL-worth-while, and then some. the right set from the Upsetter would knock all of us back on our ass, yes it would.....

& the nice young hippie folk would get a schoolin', ain't foolin'.
April 10, 2006 07:41PM
I must say that I had a really good time at the two Maritime Hall shows in San Francisco, when he first came back to the states in 1996-or 97. Very heavy, ganjah-mad reggae. Since then, he's played around Norcal occassionally with what I consider a gradual decline in quality.

Not knowing him personally, I've always thought he puts on a pretty good show for a "senile crook." But from what I gather from reading about the seedy sides of the artists discussed on this board, he seems about par for the course.

It was great to hear his band blasting songs live that first couple of times. A schooling, of sorts. As a long time listener, I always like to see the originals.

Peace.

April 10, 2006 07:54PM
Yeah, i loved those 2 Maritime Hall shows as well, but they were both topped (IMO) by Macka B backed by Robotics on the third night, at that little club they used to have downstairs at Maritime Hall.....
jb welda
April 10, 2006 07:58PM
i loved those maritime shows too, went to both of them as it turned out, but it was a not so gradual decline after that, not sure why exactly.

but they were both topped by robotiks backing alton ellis at slims a year or so later. but now i sound like a broken record.

one love
jah bill
April 10, 2006 10:03PM
Jah Bill, I was just trying to be charitable towards Scratch's more recent shows. But, like Gregory Isaacs, I am a huge L"S"P since days long passed.

Peace
Ras Putin
April 11, 2006 04:08AM
... somehow i get the feeling The Upsetter coincidently looking the other way while shaking a journalist hand in days long past ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login