Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sierra nevada lineup to ROTR

Posted by Ites 
Ites
Sierra nevada lineup to ROTR
April 10, 2006 03:59PM
Greetings everyone...
Looking at the lineup as the days go on, im getting more and more excited for this years festival, over going to ROTR like I usually go to every year!! Sierra Nevada seems to have more of a rootsy, irie vibe going so far, compared to Reggae does...I also feel like Im gonna get more of my moneys worth!!
just wanted to know of some other opinions out there, of how u think of the two festivals...im not sure if this is another thread already or not...

Peace and Blessings~
Re: Sierra nevada lineup to ROTR
April 10, 2006 04:12PM
I love SNWMF and I love ROTR. Two different festivals, each special in their own way. No need for no 'competition' business. Unless you are really strapped for cash, i would say GO TO BOTH....
Andee
April 10, 2006 06:11PM
this thread comes up every year....someone out there is holding back on the ROR "hippie" photos i can feel it
April 10, 2006 06:15PM
guilty! lol

V DOSIA
April 11, 2006 01:18AM
Reggae On The River Lineup Blows sierra nevada's linup out of mendicino county back to angels camp!!!!!!! I have gone to sierra for the last 5 years and have never seen such lame linup, Mad Professor Chezidek and Jah Shaka are the only ones i really care to see....I had always had faith in sierra as being the 'underdog' more of a 'low key' community, but i am not having strong doubts about the artists that will be preforming..as far as i'm concerned if they don't book Chukkie Starr, or some other artists of interest i am going feel a lot better about blowing my money at reggae via vip ticket, vip camping, rental van, maybe another concert style speaker for the all night sonoma dancehall, generater.... etc etc etc....Sierra Nevada just wont be worth it...maybe i will get a day pass to 'mash it up' for a day...but otherwise that it looks pretty wack!!!
April 11, 2006 01:50AM
once again V DOSIA with the gems of wisdom. this line up is weak because you have a weak outlook on life. obviously if "Mad Professor Chezidek and Jah Shaka " are the only reason your going, then yea it would be weak. But this festival is NOT here to serve YOU bro. I, along with many others who frequent this board, are looking forward to the aforementioned artists, along with MISTY IN ROOTS (finally) U-ROY (puts your dj's to shame) Earl Sixteen, Soul Vendors, Robotiks, and Gomba Jahbari. these are big names, with big tunes. They may not be your stylee, but why put the fest down? Do your own thing, and stop posting here telling everyone how rotr is sooo much better than snwmf. myabe we should change the name to "V DOSIA CRUNK & BUMP FEST" and let you pick all the artists! that would be cool huh?

p.s. thank god. no sonoma "trance"hall at 4 am this year. lay off the crack bro!!
April 11, 2006 01:58AM
.V Dosia
>only ting blowing is ass by the beer tent dude*
"this years snwmf line-up looks 2B best ever & ive seen every years list*"
>just added: wacky taffy meets willy wonka in the dancehall a.k.a. parking lot 06'
>with additions like this who even needs general admission ticket?
>can we just camp & eat candy all weekend instead warren? : )
>to all the newbies im just meking fun out of nothing @ 2am in morning.
time for bed good nite all!

-RASpects+
April 11, 2006 08:02AM
since I release from prison in '99, I been goin ta snwmf, 2000 an on... this is by far the very best lineup I've seen, an dem nah even dun widdit still... ROOOOOTS!!!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 11, 2006 08:18AM
V. Dosia, You come again with the narrow mind and harsh words...

...I am looking forward to not seeing you at ROTR, and not hearing you at SNWMF.

And I am not a hippy, f-ggot, dork, or whatever nasty name you will probably spew back at me. I am just another over-40 reggae fan that's been around long enough to know that all your new dancehall names are just growling and squawking over rhythms originally laid down by the roots artists that you despise.

Have a pleasant summer. I sure will. Peace.

April 11, 2006 08:43AM
Jahsprey,

ALL your new danchall names are squaking over rythms created by roots musicians??

This is factually incorrect and there is no need to rail against artists that you do not know just to make your point to Dosia
April 11, 2006 09:19AM
True, Ninjacat. I stand corrected. And I am not railing against any artists. Just amped on caffeine, I guess.

For the record: I love dancehall and most of the dancehall artists that are touted up here on the board like Sizzla, Buju, Fanton Moja, Gentleman, Jah Mason, Gyptian, Lutan Fyah, Cocoa Tea, Admiral Tibet, Ninjaman, Turbulence... I go out, pay my $ and see them when they tour, buy their works, play them in my car and home. I do prefer the older rhythms over the newer digital beats. My wife, however, is a roots lady. And she just won't hear any of it, so I am somewhat limited in what I play out daily. My kids, thankfully, love it all, too.

I am, however, amazed at the recycling of rhythms, over and over, with different new lyricists getting credit for new "songs." I really just like to give credit where credit is due.

It's doubtful that we'll hit both fests this year, despite the great lineups both places. SNWMF hits first, and that always satisfies. By the time ROTR goes off, I am usually ready to disappear into the wilderness and camp out on a riverbend in peace. Usually, we roll right past the ROTR traffic jam on our way up through Humbolt to the wild rivers of the North Coast.

Peace.
pale ryder
April 11, 2006 09:25AM
Jahsprey,
You nailed in man...
baykay
April 11, 2006 09:38AM
agreed ras danny, snwmf looks to be the hardest line-up yet. roots controller! I stopped attending rotr a few years back, and don't miss it a bit. however, I would be interested in seeing gyptian, and hope snwmf comes with one more young/new artist for the dance
April 11, 2006 09:58AM
On the head Jahsprey
April 11, 2006 10:10AM
"only ting blowing is ass by the beer tent dude*"

Truly one of the most poignant statements I've seen on this board in a while.

fourtwentyplenty
April 11, 2006 10:50AM
Line up is major reason to attend a festival, but each has great artists, so I call that a push. The vibes are equally important to me, and I'd take teh vibes of SNWMF over ROTR anyday. Winner: SNWMF IMHO.
Ites
April 11, 2006 11:32AM
Its interesting seeing what everyone has to say...I most likely will attend both festivals, but I feellike I will be more at "home" at Sierra...and for what Jahspey has to say about the new artist coming out with the recycled music, hes absolutley right!! I am looking much more forward to a lineup of ORIGINAL musicians, playing Original songs...plus the crowd at Reggae seems to get kinda crazier by the year, if i should choose those words....hope everyone gets what theyre looking for at both shows this year....give thanks
April 11, 2006 11:33AM
again vibes are generated by you and maintained by you. A vibe is something that is manifested by conscious beings. If you are of the opinion that a vibe is going to be negative low and behold you will find a negative vibe. Not because it is present outside of you, but becasue it is being generated inside of you
Ites
April 11, 2006 11:46AM
umm not really... I can understand what youre saying ninja, but i dont agree...everyones experiences are different ya know? evrytime I go to a show, or to the dance i always have an upful mind and vibe...but before I get attcked for saying my opinion like what always happens on this board i noticed...I am just saying I think I will have a better time, and will enjoy the performances more at Sierra.....more love
April 11, 2006 01:25PM
hey no worries we all have our favorites. No one should have anything forced on them you like ehat you like I can dig it. I am more speaking to those who say that ROTR is much more of a "frat" crowd. That to me is looking at people for the way they dress and the way they talk and applying all sorts of negative behaviours to them. This is no different than someone looking at another and judging them as a bum cause they choose not to rock the latest fashions you know. It is all "ism" in my book. I would agree that everyone's experience is different that is kind of what motivated me to post that. To claim that one festival is "like this" and one is "like that" sort of impkies that the experience that you have applies across the board to everyone else. Good Reasoning.
April 11, 2006 01:33PM
Wouldn't the "frat crowd" monicker be fitting if there were many instances of frat crowd behaviors? Are you saying both the crowds are of the same vibe Ninja? I overstand what you mean by me making my own vibe, but some things make a good vibe more challenging to uphold. I can be vibing my bawls off, but if a bunch of idiots come and behave like idiots, my vibe is very difficult to remain on positive.

I'm not saying ROTR crowd is a bunch of idiots; I'm using hyperbole to make my point, but there is a noticable difference in the two crowds; otherwise why woul so many people point it out? I'll admit, when I was younger, ROTR would be my preferred place, but in my old age of... well old, I enjoy SNWMF much better.
April 11, 2006 01:50PM
yeah I hear that on the age thing. I would say that a lot of people are contrarian (if that is even a word) in that they don't like something as soon as it becomes viewed as mainstream, even if it is the exact thing they liked before it became popular. I will give you an example. Look at Sean Paul, nuff people would love Sean Paul if he was there boy they knew from minute one. If they grew up with him and he took the mic and went up on stage and just started doing his thing. They would be like "yeah that is my man" but because he has become popular and he plays on MTV VH1 and so on a lot of people are like that guy sucks he isn't real reggae. They say this even though he gets respect from 99% of the reggae artists that are out today roots, culture and dancehall alike. He gets just as much love from those in yard and abroad. Even look at Midnite, the bigger they get the more they charge for their tickets and out come the haters. Oh they are selling out just cause "Brad the frat guy" is rockin Midnite up in Eugene. I think with ROTR that people see it as a mainstream festival and they think that most of those who attend know little to nothing about what they might label as real reggae music. Instead of mising with these folks and helping them along they just seperate themselves further and start to label them. Last night I heard a Yogi in India talking about the LA Yoga crowd. He was asked if it bothered him (all this Yoga lite) he said "does it bother you when you teach a baby something and they don't fully understand right away? Do you chasitse the baby for not understanding the complete lesson? Or do you bring them along slowly and continue to teach them until they are able to walk on their own". That is the way I choose to look at an event like ROTR.
April 11, 2006 02:01PM
I'd also love to see Gyptian. From the few things I've heard from him, mostly cuts played on Lance-O's "Reggae Vibes" show, the sound is sweet. Does Gyptian have a CD out yet, or just singles at this point?

The Guam posse is gearing up to purchase airline tickets this week. Gonna cost a bundle (over $1500) just to get to the mainland this year, but the line-up this year looks so good! The latest additions of U Roy and Nasio have a couple more Guam Reggae lovers thinking about coming.

Ever forward
Jah Son RAW #33
garden of delights
April 11, 2006 02:05PM
I've been to each festival only once, but based on what I experienced at ROTR, I have little desire to return. With many there- NOT all,but a sizable number, I didn't sense that they had much affinity for or real interest in understanding Black culture. I felt that many were there just because it was a "scene" or 'happening" and a chance to "wild out". People shot off firecrackers. I also thought some of the staff were not really upholding a friendly vibe- I guess they just were jaded or had seen too much bs. In the year I was there there wasn't enough camping space- and those rocks.....
SNWMF was totally different for me. I felt respect there. I liked the staff that I encountered. The vibe was more relaxed and friendly and polite. It was harmonious and I felt very comfortable. I felt more affinity with the crowd there and I felt most people were into the goal of consciousness and community. Only a small number of boneheads here and there-can't totally avoid that, but luckily the ones that had were near my camp only stayed for the day ( and left a big pile of beer bottles and trash) Anyway, I look forward to going again.
April 11, 2006 02:09PM
IMO No one at either fest is going there to learn about blak culture because tblack culture is really a meaningless term outside of the US and seeing as Reggae Music is not native to the US and most black folks living here know less than whites about reggae I find it hard to belive that anyone is interested in black culture. If They were then KRS ONE would be in the house. Peace I feel you though those rocks are a bit+h
garden of delights
April 11, 2006 02:25PM
I don't mean that they came there to learn about the cultures of various Black peoples, but that if they did have an opportunity to learn and outside of the fest, it wouldn't really interest many of them too much-that's just the sense i got. Of course I know that someone in Jamaica refers to their culture as Jamaican-that's not the point. Many of the issues that they sing about are relevant to black americans or others as well. It would seem to me that if one really listens to reggae music and is a true fan you would have some concern for the issues and connect it with what happens in your own land. Also true, black Americans are not particularly knowledgeable about reggae per se, but do have an understanding of the political issues, because they live them.
garden of delights
April 11, 2006 02:31PM
..but of course if the music is just about grinding punnany, well, it's not necessary to have any interest in political/social issues. It's been many years since I was there- at least 12- but i did notice quite a few "frat" types as people have mentioned. Maybe I have them all wrong? lol, i kind of doubt it, though
April 11, 2006 02:41PM
Grinding Punany......You will appreciate this one Jah Bill. Just a quick comment on that one, I listen to Reggae music all the time, and own lots of it, however my husband really doesn't. Most of the reggae that I own is rootsy, (by the way Warren, GREAT LINEUP) my husband says it's too slow, he likes more of a Steel Pulse, Third World kinda show. I think it's cause I took him to Del Mar and he got the senior discount and paid about 3 bucks to see them both... for him they could have yodeled and would still be his favorite. Anyway I ended up with a Shaggy CD from somewhere and in his digging through my CD's to enlighten himself to Reggae, he came upon it... his words and I repeat were "the music sucked, but I sure like his message"...so there you have it, Midnite may speak to me, but the Grinding Punany speaks to some...
April 11, 2006 02:43PM
I notices some slovenly dressed hippies at SNWMF they wanted stuff for free. They had a bunch of patch work pants and they sat bey the entranc e with dogs on a leash made of rope. They were really dirty which makes me think that they are just slobs who are free loading it really ruined my "vibe"

Tounge is firmly planted in my cheek.
April 11, 2006 02:53PM
Ninja they were trying to get their Dogs Miracled.... the vibe was magical.... today has been my day to post, so this is what you do when it's been raining for 40 days and 40 nights.
April 11, 2006 03:01PM
welcome to Oregon
Spliff Smoker
April 11, 2006 03:13PM
"but because he has become popular and he plays on MTV VH1 and so on"

I agree fully Ninja. How 'bout when people bashed Sean Paul for his Carls Jr. Ad, but no one said anything about Toots selling his song to a commercial? He, Sean Paul, should get respect for all the people he has turned on to reggae.

"I notices some slovenly dressed hippies at SNWMF they wanted stuff for free."

I made 20$ that day ninja, why hate? No, if you're trying to say that I, or others, are judging a festival by a few people as in your tongue in cheek comment, I don't agree. I think there is a noticable difference in the two fests. Niether are better than the other. I like to chill on a hill and vibe; others liked to party hard and go crazy for a weekend. In my earlier daze, I'd prefer the party crowd, but now I'm more mellow. I guess it might (heavy on the might) be the difference between a 49er game and a Raider game.
Andee
April 11, 2006 05:04PM
still no hippie pics....sad smiley I'm sad....last years made me laugh out loud
April 11, 2006 06:42PM
I went to both SNWMF and RORT since 1998, but stopped going to ROTR last year. Wont go this year. I went to SNWMF for the music and vibes, and have enjoyed some of the finest moments of my life there. I went ROTR for the vibes, and spent most of my time there blasting off in a rocket tent to previously unknown dimensions while listening to a boombox with close friends. Now that I've thoroughly explored those dimensions, I have no reason to return to ROTR, while I will probably attend SNWMF at every possible future occasion.

As for the vibes at both festies - the last three years I was at ROTR I witness or heard serious fights. Two years ago I was sitting at the camp site around sunset monday morning with the few other souls who had managed to stay awake for 72 hours, when three people came up and literally stoned a man who was camping next to us. They trapped him in his tent, knocked him down, wrapped him up in his tent, and pelted him with large rocks. I could hear the sound of the rocks hitting his flesh. Another year, same time same day, I was up on the hill in VIP camping burning palo santo on tiki torches with a buddy when we could hear yelling and the actual sounds of fist to face from the valley.

Since ROTR lineup is not my cup of tea, its just no longer worth it for me to go, esoecially since that weekend is the best siskayou county river swimming weather of the year.

April 11, 2006 10:43PM
Jahmeek:
>just added: wacky taffy meets willy wonka in the dancehall a.k.a. parking lot 06'
>with additions like this who even needs general admission ticket?
>can we just camp & eat candy all weekend instead warren? : )

Seriously dude, I had tears rolling down my cheeks from laughing at your post.

We're showing our bias of being the SNWMF board and I agree with the sentiments expressed above between the two festivals. Definitely support ROTR and what their doing for the youts but I did not feel particularly welcomed there. SNWMF has managed to create a community village vibe of friendlyness that we long for as human beings and find too little of in our waking world. Other than a little chatting with immediate camping neighbors at ROTR, felt isolated and hard pressed to establish friendly contacts with folks that fell flat when I tried. Perhaps my vibe contributed to it at ROTR but who knows. SNWMF crowd is all ages friendly to one another with little bias among us. ROTR felt like only those in their 20's "belonged." I liked to go back sometime and try again. At SNWMF I felt totally comfortable when I brought my wife and daughter and still comfortable that I go solo. SNWMF is like going home to my summer vacation spot, ROTR is like going to a three day party that I wasn't invited to.
April 12, 2006 07:40AM
don, a stoning? damn. I guess I have been lucky I have yet to see a fight in my 5 years spanning from 97 till now. Just Lucky I guess
April 12, 2006 08:54AM
Hopefully they'll add Luciano,Bushman,Capleton,Junior Kelly,Sanchez, and a Live Video Feed od Jah Cure. Haffe Freeup Jah Cure!
V Dosia
April 12, 2006 09:21AM
Live video feed of jah cure!!!!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login