Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rastas and the letter 'I'

Posted by alireggae 
Rastas and the letter 'I'
April 11, 2006 01:44PM
Why do rastas (and hippies pretending to be rastas) replace certain letters and clusters of letter with the letter 'I'?

eg:
Children = Idren
Creation = Iration

I like snow
Re: Rastas and the letter 'I'
April 11, 2006 01:50PM
ask IMeek
a
April 11, 2006 01:55PM
its connects i n i with the Most I; Jah

"Bunny Wailers: "in the begining there was but one concept and that's the concept of...."

April 11, 2006 01:57PM
I believe it has something to do with with Haile Selassie I(the first) and incorporating that belief into something external. Catholics wear a cross, Rastas say I.

But JA being a former English colony, I am sure there is referrence to old english since their foreparents were slaves.
April 11, 2006 02:11PM
LMAO.... seriously, here is a new topic. Lets all come up with new words that start with I... you state your word and then it's meaning, me first...

I-dration The act of getting ones head dunked in a sink, bucket, toilet, etc.
I-way The road less traveled with your 3 legged dog, your drum and your best friend Stinky...
I-toast your brain after reading this thread.

I-mouttahere!
April 11, 2006 02:14PM
please!!!!!!!!
do NOT let us mock !!!!!!!!!
jb welda
April 11, 2006 02:17PM
thanks roots-ii

its I-way or the I-way!

one love
jah bill
April 11, 2006 02:23PM
Change your name to Jah Ill
Ras Google
April 11, 2006 02:25PM
An "I" makes any word become more spiritual and sacred and "irie" is a great example of this. "Irie", is the ultimate positive

Rastafari (notice the I at the end) is an indigenous religion that emerged during the 1930s as a grass roots answer to social conditions and the irrelevance of white-oriented denominations. Rastafari has been used as a cover by criminals, and as a publicity gimmick by pop musicians, but in its pristine form it is a valid faith that emphasizes the indwelling God Spirit in every person. Rastafaris developed their own version of the Jamaican dialect in which “I” is a frequent pre-fix. (For example “I and I” or “I-man” meaning I or myself and “I-dren” meaning children or brethren)

“I and I” simultaneously means (1) you and I (2) the Great Spirit. Use as you would ‘I’.

“Ites” means the heights of I and I.

“Irie” is an adjective form of Ites, meaning the same thing.

“Yes I” is a Rasta term, meaning positive vibration.

For Rastafarians, the most powerful and significant letter is “I” which can also be used as a word and a number. “I” is so important that Rastafarians use it each time they refer to themselves by saying "I and I," this is done to include the presence and divinity of the Almighty with themselves each time they speak. Also by saying "I and I" when talking about themselves, Rastas are indicating that they belong to the world and are not separated from it.

"I and I" is additionally used when referring to fellow Rastas; this is due to the same reasoning against separating themselves but, in this case from fellow Rastas. The use of "I and I" is not only limited to Rastas but, when a Rastafarian meets a stranger, he/she does away with the superficial greetings common to polite society and instead tests the "vibration" of the person. If the vibration is positive, it does not matter if one is a member of the movement or not; he or she will immediately be addressed in conversation as "I and I." They believe the words of Jah (Yahweh) are "I and I" while, Satan would say "you and me." His Imperial Majesty, Halle Selassie I, even has "I" as part of his title.

A lot of Rasta words are meant to bare the chronological weight of their sounds, which has caused parts of many traditionally "Standard" English words and phrases to be changed. Rastas don't say "I and I will come back soon,” but would say "I and I will come forward soon." This is because "back" and "return" are negative, non-progressive words. If you mean "backward," and say "forward" you will be understood. "Understood" is another word that has been changed in this way. Rastas say that understanding means comprehension, which is a positive, uplifting experience; therefore it is only logical to say "overstood." One last example of this change because of "wordsound" is the word “oppression." Rastas and Jamaicans have been oppressed for years and it is a very negative thing but, the word oppression has the sound up in it, which signifies something positive, therefore it makes much more sense to say "downpression" when referring to this very negative thing.

In a way Rasta talk is a religious language and it can be related to Jamaican Patois because it is Jamaican dialect used on a philosophical level. Rastas don't have "conversations" but they consider any lengthy talking among each other "reasoning." They feel to share their experiences fully they use their thoughts and expressive capacities collectively in a group setting. They don't speak from one person to another using Babylon's "selective concepts" which they feel are linear, unnatural, and unproductive. Babylon is a term used quite often by Rastas to represent "the system". According to the Rasta/Patois Dictionary, some examples of Babylon can be (1) the corrupt establishment, the "Church and State" (2) the police, a policeman.

jb welda
April 11, 2006 02:27PM
>Why do rastas (and hippies pretending to be rastas) replace certain letters and
>clusters of letter with the letter 'I'?

because they got a lot of spare time?

one love
jah bill
April 11, 2006 02:44PM
How do you tell a hippie from a hippie pretending to be a Rasta, from a Rasta pretending to be a hippie, from a rasta, or a hippie, I think I and I got lost.....
April 11, 2006 03:59PM
your question has given me an i-ache but maybe this will help:

on the left: zoki as a hippie ---- on the right: zoki as rasta:

April 11, 2006 04:05PM
as i look at the above closer, it appears this may be our CD reviewer in his younger days......?
April 11, 2006 04:06PM
> i N i live i*word^

-RASpects+
I-808
April 11, 2006 04:34PM
'Jafaican' is wiping out inner-city English accents
by LAURA CLARK, Daily Mail

09:56am 11th April 2006

If you struggle to understand Cockney, Brummie, Geordie and Scouse, then stand by for an even bigger challenge.
It's called Jafaican and, slowly but surely, it is infiltrating the English language.

The multicultural hybrid, based on Jamaican but with undertones of West African and Indian, is not a totally new concept, of course. Ali G has been delivering his comic routines in his own colourful variant of it for some years.

In some London boroughs, for instance, it has taken over from Cockney, the prevailing accent for generations, as inner-city white youths pick up the speech patterns of their black and Asian classmates. More than four out of ten London residents are now from ethnic minority backgrounds.

The Jafaican name, conveying the idea of 'fake Jamaican', was coined on the streets rather than in the research rooms. The academics prefer 'multicultural English'. But the message is constant.

"People are beginning to sound the same regardless of their colour or ethnic background," said Sue Fox, of London University's Queen Mary College, who is studying the phenomenon.

She ruled out suggestions that the language is simply the result of white youngsters trying to be cool.

"It's not about that at all," she said.

"It seems more likely that young people have been growing up in London exposed to a mixture of second-language English and local London English and that this new variety has emerged from that mix."

Miss Fox and co-researchers from Lancaster University are analysing the speech patterns of dozens of teenagers at colleges in inner and outer London.

Youngsters have been interviewed and observed talking to their friends over a ten-month period.

What has emerged is a distinctive inner-London patois which borrows heavily from Jamaican creole, lifting some words unchanged.

But it has been influenced by other speech patterns, mainly Bangladeshi and West African, with a little South American and Arab thrown in.

An analysis of vowel sounds has shown the traditional long Cockney vowels are becoming shorter. The word 'face' sounds like 'fice' in cockney but more like 'fehs' in Jafaican.

"Our sample includes teenagers with West Indian, South American, Arab, West African and London backgrounds," said Miss Fox.

"In London in the post-war years lots of white working-class Cockney families moved out to satellite towns such as Basildon and Harlow. In their place, we have got this huge mix of different ethnic groups."

While the study is currently focussed on London, Miss Fox believes a similar pattern will be emerging in other cities.

In Bristol recently, police used Ali G-style patois on placards warning young people to curb their antisocial behaviour. They insisted they were merely reflecting the language of target groups.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

--
a
April 11, 2006 04:50PM
April 11, 2006 04:55PM
'RomeFaggots' are wiping out inner-city personal accents
a new & impoved uncle tom is the spokes man for 'shaded-bleach outernational'
a group who goes arouN with a claim on copyrites such as plastic smiles & the cover up on how to let local drugs stores control communitys with pills with a unknown lingo that what need a phd to overstand & a direct outlet for jerry curl kits & generic razor blades imported from china.
this scandle as broke new ground in the the reggae market because sumhow oppression can be sold as love in a pan...
so when ankle bite jones comes to fill his simple perscription he only needs togo through drive through now because iNi have made it so easy for iNi livin' in the message board burbs ... wait gottah go the 6UP glock news is running. the ghetto bird is in the air. there in a high speed chase with a black male about so & so tall. . .
>u heard it rite here from propagandah press 'special edited version*

-RASpects+
TR-808
April 11, 2006 04:58PM

WHOA!!

what happened, Meeky? did you run out of YOUR pills again?

do you need to go back to the doctor?

--
April 11, 2006 05:00PM
>thats why im here mon i* thought u were the doctor or at least had all of answers.
>where is dr.israel. would mek great addition here*

-RASpects+
April 11, 2006 10:54PM
JAH Bill, why are you being sarcastic towards Roots-ee for calling Deborah on her ignorance?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Post Edited (04-11-06 22:54)
jb welda
April 12, 2006 10:53AM
theres a big difference between "humor" and "ignorance". i happen to have liked deborahs post and happen to think rootsee is overreacting. and i wasnt being sarcastic, i was making a point. i guess that sort of went over your head.

one love
jah bill
April 12, 2006 01:05PM

See I&I-man I&Ipod...
April 12, 2006 02:14PM
roots-ee wrote:

> please!!!!!!!!
> do NOT let us mock !!!!!!!!!

For real. Too many people take Rasta for a joke. Truth be told, Plenty of them are pure Door Peeps that fall short, so now they find fault, knit pick, and carry on in all manner of contemptuous ways. Live and let live. Word sound power of Rastafarian culture is a sacred thing to those of whom practice it in their everyday lives. To mock is pure disrespect. Leave Rasta Alone!

Faith = Strength
April 12, 2006 06:17PM
respescx lionheart707

one peace roots-ee
April 14, 2006 07:56PM
Thanks Jah Bill, Roots-ee, I am truly not ignorant, only trying to find some humor in all the rock throwing that tends to go on in this forum.... IMO It is not a personal soap box on which to stand and disrespect others, it is however a place to smile about some posts and wrinkle your forehead over others. On that rainy day, I thought a smile might be in order... so if you have a hard time smiling, I am sorry for you. Mockery is in fact when people make fun of each other with intent to hurt. Being beligirent is ranting over personal beefs in a public forum.

Live up Roots-ee, life is far too short. I think if you knew me, you would realize the person I am, not a Rasta, not a Hippie, Just little old me, keepin' it real, loving Reggae music for what it is, and the positive vibe it provides for the Masses.

One Love.
April 14, 2006 08:06PM
nah worry bout the spin doctors... live ya life and be satistfied. everyone just got what they got and who and what they really R.... focus
April 14, 2006 08:07PM
humbleness starts from within...
April 14, 2006 08:09PM
See I&I-man I&Ipod... haha stamina.. winking smiley
April 14, 2006 08:55PM
See I&I-man I&Ipod... haha stamina.. winking smiley

Stamina loves up his I-Tunes.
Stamina was a Rasta when I was pulling stems and seeds out of a $10.00 bag of Mexican weed and calling it things like a can and a lid.........Oh, yea, I-lid...
April 15, 2006 07:02AM
i'ma wit you.i larious.
April 15, 2006 07:45AM
hey hey deborah,
why you fret so?
i man na vex with you,

just cool,
April 18, 2006 10:13PM
yah also lookin for the root of all creation.
some say it a i yes us family
all inna we
the root of iration
i an i an i
even when the 2 come into trinity
for the tri is
the strongest
of all an' foundation
pon which all is made
like the triangle-ya seen
this simple shape foundation
of all shapes thereof
similar in language, word reality livity
thru i comes inity
ites
iniversally
itinually
fa iver
GOATFOOT
April 18, 2006 10:23PM
Ya have a problem with "hippies"? Have you tried the new "Dolt" cola? Perfect for those who never tried to fit and never tried to ask.

Born in 69
Goatfoot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login