Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

THE VIBE

Posted by Ninjacat 
THE VIBE
April 11, 2006 09:03PM
This word is thrown around a lot by reggae folks (mentioned reggae so TR 808) won't get on me. What does it mean to you?
Re: THE VIBE
April 11, 2006 09:04PM
The emotion felt when the music hit you.

Boom, vibes
April 12, 2006 01:43AM
The overall atmosphere of any givin situation. Reggae or not...
April 12, 2006 02:02AM
vibes, man, VIBEZ! can ya feel it?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 12, 2006 02:11AM
vibes - vibrations. The things we do, we say, we feel, etc, all result in vibrations of various types (sound waves, light waves, etc). I can only imagine that there are vibrations of sorts of energy that science has not yet explained, but that we can feel when interacting with people. These vibrations, emanating out from the actions of people, are received and absorbed by others. These have a profound effect on how we feel at any given time.

riffy
April 12, 2006 02:43AM
imo, vibe is feeling and an interpretation thereof, which is also enmeshed with intuition as well as deeply connected with all senses. my 1/5 of a dime
Art Vandelay
April 12, 2006 04:09AM
I was once talking with the owner of a night-club about a show the previous night.
I told him that even though there wasn't a full crowd, and the performer kind of tried to swindle the promoter, the vibe was still nice. He looked at me dumb-founded "vibe" he said with a furrowed brow, "what is that?"
I looked at him like he was an eediat, and told him basically what don julio said. He then looked at me like I was the eediat. Anyway, don't y'all think that the owner of a night club should know what a vibe is, aren't night-clubs kind of in the vibes business?

p.s. he no longer has a night club
April 12, 2006 02:35PM
Let me ask you this when you are looking at others and placing judgements on the vibe they are putting off without really knowing them or what they are into what kind of "vibe" must you be putting off?
April 12, 2006 02:59PM
dats a pritty "loaded" vibe ya sendin deh ninja...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 12, 2006 03:10PM
I submit to you Ninja that 'the vibe' one gets from someone's music can be very different from 'the vibe' one gets from the individual or persons creating that music. The 'vibe' i get from a band is based on their music, so I don't really need to know a musician or what they are into in order to formulate an opinion as to whether or not they got 'vibes'.

I will admit that the 'vibe' from a live performance comes from both the music and the way the artist carries themself on stage, so in that case I suspect that who they are and what they are into factor into what kind of vibes they put out in a live show. There are nuff artists whose music 'got vibes' IMO, but whose live shows 'lack vibes' and the reverse is also true....
April 12, 2006 03:30PM
yes Daniel I here that. I think I fully understand what the vibe from the band is, at ROTR a few years ago Mr. Vegas was on stage. He kept complaining to the soundman to turn it up. It ruined the "vibe" cause he kept "pulling up" and complaining about the sound. It didn't help that he kept saying "How you feeling San Fransisco?!?!" Then you have the opposite in a guy like Jr Gong who was hitting on all levels. Great show, great set list and carried himself in a very professional manner. What I mostly focus on is when fellow concert goers complain about the vibe coming from other concert goers. Basically it is judgement in drag. People think that because of the way others choose to enjoy themselves (some brew) and the way that they dress, usually something like Old Navy, that they are a certain way (frat kids). Instead on engaging people and seeing first hand if they are good people (generous, positive and friendly) they judge them using the same old tired sterotypes about who is like what. It seems that people woud rather hang around a fake dread who is looking to hit on anything that walks so long as the fake dread chants Rastafari smokes some herb (which he usually doesn't bring himself, but rather slides in and acts as though becuase he has dreads you should be providing it to him). This is the kind of thing I am talking about. As far as the fights and stuff ruining the vibe at shows like ROTR welcome to the north coast. You will find that SNWMF will attract some of the same North Coast cats who come to woop someone's ass. Hailing straight outta Eureka. North Coast Locals don't play.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login