Posted by missmarjel 
Ziggy Marley to adopt Judaism?
April 13, 2006 05:16PM
THIS IS LINK TO OBSERVER ON LINE 4.13.06 issue

[www.jamaicaobserver.com]

Ziggy Marley to adopt Judaism?

Observer Reporter
Thursday, April 13, 2006

Speculation is rife that Marley family scion Ziggy Marley may be about to adopt the Jewish faith.

Marley, who is set to perform in the Israeli capital Tel Aviv this July, and who is married to an Israeli, has been strengthening his links to Judaism. A song, Salaam Shalom from his upcoming second solo album, Love is My Religion, contains some hints as to the dreadlocked singer's intentions: shalom salaam shalom salaam
who will take the blame for the blood of my children
to who does vengeance belong to no one no one
we're dying from tanks and suicide bombs
the only answer is to live as one and justice will come for my sons and justice will come for my sons shalom salaam shalom salaam

Marley's forays come at a time when corresponding interest among Jewish and Jewish-American youth in reggae music and the message of Bob Marley in particular is at an all-time high. Current Billboard charting artist Matisyahu is an Hasidic Jew, while up and coming Joseph Israel, also spins reggae songs on a Jewish axis.

Both acts have earned the endorsement of Marley, as well as Luciano, the latter appearing on Joseph Israel's disc and has performed and recorded with Matisyahu.

Of further interest, Ziggy's grandfather Norval, is of Syrian-Jewish extraction. The family had its roots in the middle East before migrating to England, from whence the army colonel went on to Jamaica. This was confirmed by Heather Marley, who is the daughter of Noel Marley, Norval's brother.

Many adherents of the Rastafarian faith have based their tenets on the Old Testament, and the Rastafarian concept of Babylon as an oppressive force is taken from the Jewish captivity and exile at the hands of the Baylonian empire.
Re: Ziggy Marley to adopt Judaism?
April 13, 2006 05:27PM
So Jah has not come yet? Or is he a messianic rasta....

Weird.
April 13, 2006 05:34PM
Is Joseph Israel Jewish? or does he just "spin reggae songs on a Jewish axis" (what ever that means)?
April 13, 2006 06:16PM
him singing those words dont mean nuttin,,,,
April 13, 2006 06:20PM
papa what do you mean
April 13, 2006 06:36PM
it dosent give me any reason to believe he is adopting judaism..?

when bounty killa said
smoke the herb give thanks and praises!
i didnt think he was turning ras...

and what are they really trying to say??
they wrote the article like he is switching boats or something.
i know quite a few rasta who still follow their jewish traditions. is that what they are saying?
did they even try to contact ziggy???
many rasta live and are married to non rasta women, did they talk to her(his wife)? is she ras??
i generally find the observers articals to be lacking in substance and fact. it seems their writers are always just pushing an agenda or opinion not really seeking out the whole truth.

Post Edited (04-13-06 11:38)
April 13, 2006 06:46PM
No ffense to the writer, but what a dumb article. Yshua was Hebrew, and adhered to Hebrew Law, so why can't Christians (Ziggy's baptized in the EOC) or Rastas (Ziggy again) sing Shalom Salaam? And salaam is a Muslim greeting, so Ziggy's turning Muslim? lol I think Ziggy is speaking of peace between the three monotheistic traditions, i.e. Christianity, Jews and Muslims.

Shalom, Salaam, Tenastylin, Peace

-------------------------------------------------

April 13, 2006 06:46PM
I would say almost 50% of roots reggae artists references Hebrew words and/or Torah and Talmud stories and concepts in their lyrics, the article means nothing.
April 13, 2006 06:49PM
Ziggy, Joseph, and Matis: The top 3 Jewish Reggae acts on the scene!
April 13, 2006 06:50PM
yes yes that too is what i mean......go read the articles on that rag pure entertainment and gossip

Post Edited (04-13-06 11:54)
April 13, 2006 09:02PM
perhaps it does tell you something. that the gap is closing betweent he faiths.
April 13, 2006 11:16PM
agreed, he has developed a deep world view of the teachings of the bible.
April 14, 2006 12:38AM
its a sad thing to hear ziggy compared to matis yahoo. if any one knows anything about rasta they should know that rasta follows the teachings out the old testament, so if yu check even sizzla lyrics unwise could say hes turning jewish becau he used biblical terms.
April 14, 2006 12:41AM
Sizzla's got some nice tunes, but he represents Rasta about as much as this guy does:

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 14, 2006 12:49AM
thats sad but almost true
April 14, 2006 04:04AM
Greetings

Quranconfused smileyura 2 ,verse 62.

"Surely,those who believe,those who are Jewish,the Christians,and the converts;anyone who
1)believes in GOD,and
2)believes in the Last Day,and
3)leads a righteous life,
will receive their recompense from their Lord.
They have nothing to fear,nor will they grieve."

Peace,Love and Inity
JJ
smiling smiley
April 14, 2006 01:59PM
I have heard of this verse thanks for posting it
April 14, 2006 10:22PM
>this explains his looking away from talkin' about selassie in interveiws & recent lyrics*
>sad : (
>ras james thats pretty ruff commit because iNi r'all sinners by nature, ya kno*

-RASpects+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login