Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

THANKS FOR PRESS SNWMF 2004

Posted by DJ BIG JIM 
THANKS FOR PRESS SNWMF 2004
June 23, 2004 09:10AM
Greetings,

Just wanted to thank all the volunteers that staffed the SNWMF press tent again this year, as well as all the press that atttended and asked questions at the press tent. It was very good to see all of the returning media people every year and some of the vibes I got from various DJ's are to me some of the best moments of the festival this year. I was dissapointed about a few things though, and one would be press that attend and don't interact, don't ask questions or attend the interviews, even some of the longtime media people, it sure does not send a leadership message to the young media people coming up. I would very much like to see the press tent move somewhere, anywhere where the questions and responses could actually be heard, just where and how is a good question.
Re: THANKS FOR PRESS SNWMF 2004
June 23, 2004 09:22AM
I give thanks to the festival for having the press tent each year, for many DJs and media, meeting and learning from the artist is essential, getting jingles is also very nice. By the Way, the press tent crew are all volunteer reggae media people, some who drive many many miles up to the fest, only to miss many of the artists that they came to see so that other members of the press might actually have a place where all the media gets a shot at asking some questions. It is difficult to get the press in to some of the important interviews, and often extremely taxing to the artists to show up at the press tent, only to have no press there. If you are press, do the works, don't just idle actually do something with this time.
One thing I'd like to see is more people share their works back to SNWMF, or share with other press people, maybe someone got a complete film of a press conference or interview, maybe you took some pictures, please share them with each other. If you are a DJ please big up SNWMF every year and send in a tape to SNWMF to show that you are glad to come to the fest. Some great reasonings happen in the press tent, and some contraversial things too but the press tent is for all of our better understand of the musics, the artists and each other.

Respect to all Media, Press, Press Tent Crew, SNWMF volunteer staff, especially the artists who performed and came back and share their time with us in the press, thanks to Warren and Gretchen for giving us an annual SNWMF, and Wendy Russell Queen of Turtles.
June 23, 2004 09:23AM
MESSAGE FOR WADI GAD

I HAVE SOMETHING OF WADI'S HE LEFT AT PRESS TENT, IF SOMEONE CAN LET HIM KNOW TO CONTACT ME
June 23, 2004 11:37AM
I'd like to mention something else that bothered me this year....

SNWMF PRESS TENT STAFF are not responsible for belongings left unattended in the press tent, please hang on to your equipment, I was approached and asked what happened to a mini disc recorder left unattended on the press table only to find out it had been grabbed by the other DJ from that station, giving me some worried vibes, also please don't leave your mikes up on the table, more than one artist tried to use a mic that was left on the table not belonging to the press tent and it was not even plugged in. I heard other people putting down items like promo cds they picked up and then left on their chairs only to find them gone....
don't be irresponsible.....if it is dear to you take it with you.
June 23, 2004 11:44AM
I'd really like to thank , Denice, Shelah, Laura Jahworks, Jah Breeze, Ras Danny, Mike Clark, James Lord, "Mad Mike" from Wisconsin, Ras Kabir for all the help, livication......you all did great works for SNWMF this year, big ups to all. I do appreciate that you gave up seeing some artists so that all the press could get in on the interviews and drops. To those in the press who spoke of joining the nexts year's press tent crew, please email request to Wendy Russell at reggaew@aol.com

I know the Press Tent in 05 will be better still, it just needs some tweaking and SOME SERIOUS SOUNDPROOFING.....

for those of you who could not hear...I apologize

Video and Audio will be sent to this website asap for all to enjoy, and I got to give the SERIOUS respect to the man Daniel Frankston at Ireggae.com for already putting up some new stuff from this years fest.....
June 23, 2004 01:02PM
I'd also like to give high props to my radio show partner, Jah T Tim Noble for coming up with the revolutionary new press alerting system our flashing red Beacon on the backstage tent.......

Question for the Press that knew about the Beacon......

DId it help alert you to the interviews????
June 23, 2004 01:08PM
Also for those of you who commented on the painting of Fela in the press tent, it was painted for me by a friend named Garrett Brown back in 1988. I am just sorry I couldn't have gotten a picture of Femi standing next to it, but after his show, I guess he was worn out and didn't make it to the press tent.
June 23, 2004 02:51PM
I for one felt privileged to have access to the press tent, and was a bit suprised there weren't more people there. The opportunity to hear the artists' reasonings and greet them personally was something I'll never forget. My press partner/wife/photographer said that this interaction was really the icing on the cake of a great weekend.

Bless-

Bahilman
June 24, 2004 04:41PM
Big Jim, you and the SNWMF press crew did an outstanding job. The whole interviews/reasonings part of the festival is an absolutely crucial part of it.

- Michael Kuelker
KDHX 88.1 FM - St. Louis
June 25, 2004 10:25AM
give thanks for the respect, I also forgot to mention Sister LadySouljah for her works at the press tent over the weekend. Thanks again to the press that came in and sat in on the interviews and asked questions.
June 25, 2004 01:07PM
Big up to everyone who participated in the press interviews. Keeping it real and authentic is the key. I have a BFA degree is Speech Communications from Drake University and I am a Rastafarian and I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would have this opportunity to utilize my skills to help my philosophy and livity.

"Until the Lions become their own historians tales of the hunted will always glorify the hunters"

The fourth estate have to be vigilante in these times to keep the truths coming to the people with out interference. It is a community process that is based on love and sensibilities of the ancients ways and traditions and overstanding how music effects culture and vice versa(ethnomusicology).

I give thanks for having this grass-roots forum to gain more incites for my upcoming video documentary, "Rastafari ideology in Reggae Music and World Culture". Big up to the festival organizers, staff and volunteers who work so hard in making my job as a press moderator and this event such a success. Bless!!!
Jah Breeze RAW#85
Chaplain, Ethiopian World Federation, Yekuno Amlak #16, Seattle
June 25, 2004 08:31PM
Greetings Everyone,

Just wanted to say that InI had an Ites time with everyone this year- too many idren and sistren to mentiion- love and Raspect out to all of you

Hey Big Jim- was that your red cd player? I am missing my ABJA Cd and really would love to get it back-
LMK if you found it-
Blessed Love
Kabir

June 25, 2004 09:51PM
Big thanks to Big Jim, Kabir, Jah Breeze, Wendy, Troy, and everyone else on the backstage/media tent crews. Jah Bless.
June 27, 2004 01:14PM
Kabir,

Yes I ....have the cd, will send back RESPECT

June 30, 2004 12:35PM
I also wanted to give my express thanks to the man from Santa Cruz, Mike Clark who did a mind numbing job of effortlessly translating our interviews at the Press Tent for El Gran Silencio and Fermin Muguruza. W/O Mike's versatility in translating the press might have not had such a good opportunity to understand what there artists were saying.... My tam is off to you Mike
BIG UP!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login