Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

just when the fest was gettiing better and better....

Posted by jb 
jb
just when the fest was gettiing better and better....
April 13, 2006 09:04PM
you have to go and add gregory issacs. i know there was someone else available. maybe not but oh well. hopefully someone is going off on the other stage!!!
Re: just when the fest was gettiing better and better....
April 13, 2006 11:02PM
i gave this guy a listen,not too bad really.What didn't you like jb?
HIGHPRAISE
April 13, 2006 11:33PM
Jb --you little know it all smiling smiley
April 14, 2006 08:01AM
i've been told that before,must be truewinking smiley
April 14, 2006 03:41PM
> never the less beats the hell out of shaggy anyways^

-RASpects+
pale ryder
April 14, 2006 03:45PM
I'll be there to check fe him....some called him jah tooth
garden of delights
April 14, 2006 03:50PM
I saw him at the raggamuffins show.. It was a bit sad,really. He seemed like he needed a day nurse as well as a night nurse.
pale ryder
April 14, 2006 03:53PM
He needed a few red bulls
Dr Lifty Lu
April 14, 2006 05:12PM
Is the Cool Ruler over the hill?

Very.

Does he still deserve a paycheck for the decades of incredible music he's made?

Yes.

Let the man come out on Sat. or Sun. morning, say hello, maybe sing a couple hits for the die-hards, then get him a cold Red Stripe, a hammock, and a couple hippie girls to fan him and feed him grapes.
rob
April 15, 2006 01:18PM
i have listened to gregory since i was a child. i just saw him for the first time at bob marley day in SF. i do not care if he is over the hill. this guy was around before bob. he is the hot stepper. let him play till he cant . My grandmother and mother still find him awesome. that has to say something.
April 15, 2006 01:46PM
Cappin on Greggory. C'mon people. Rootzy and deep is what he is. Stop hating on the hot stepper!
Bless
garden of delights
April 15, 2006 01:53PM
btw, my comment had nothing to do with age and everything to do with condition. I also believe that a performer should keep going as long as he or she desires, just like Blues performers do-but you do have to honestly evaluate or get feedback on how you're doing and whether or not it's going to be a painful thing to watch- imho. But maybe that's just not an issue for some, so that's cool.. I didn't see him in sf, but in Long Beach, so I wouldn't want to judge just based on that one performance-hopefully he was just hung over (or something) that day and will come strong at SNWMF. But offhand, I'd agree with the idea of a day slot.
HIGHPRAISE
April 15, 2006 02:37PM
I agree with a semi early slot , but thats hard to believe . No matter what he is still gregory issacs . Also him being on tha bill hypes up tha fest to tha average reggae listener .. Personally i wish they spent tha dough on Twinkle Brothers .. Anyways ..
April 15, 2006 02:57PM
all the best to the cool ruler at the fest...

one peace roots-ee
[thearkband.com]
jb welda
April 15, 2006 04:52PM
>this guy was around before bob

well, actually, not.

respect still though

one love
jah bill
April 16, 2006 03:40AM
hey ther guys please can u guys at least have a cancert herew in Guam man, so dead and the people who are having cancerts here are very mean. to me they are
Yabby You fan
April 16, 2006 04:10AM
Thank you to the Gregory Isaacs haters that will be at another stage when he's performing; more room and better vibes for us that want to see him.

Yabby You fan

Ites
April 16, 2006 04:22AM
yep!! more rub a dub stylie for us!!
April 16, 2006 06:09AM
For years Gregory has been up and down, hot and cold. When he is hot, he is hot. He was excellent at Rebel Salute last January. He was so so the year before in Negril.I have seen Gregory perform for more than twenty years, I am sure more than 100 times. When he is on, he is well worth every second. When he is not, I still enjoy seeing the legend much like an old Frank Sinatra fan. (lol probably not a good example!) I just want to say, Gregory is worth the time as long as he shows up and gets more than twenty minutes.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
April 16, 2006 11:08AM
Yes big up all crack head artists!
Richard Pryor was genius but he faded himself on drugs. I'm sure some people would still pay to hear him.... standup last year before he passed.
I'm just sayin...drugs are bad mmmmmkay.
Bun out the night nurse and stoke up the fire
jb welda
April 16, 2006 11:23AM
heres a cool ruler quote or two for you to ponder ites:

anything i do im big enough to own up to it

- loose quote from one of those tracks from red rose from gregory, rough neck maybe/

the worst thing i ever did was get involved in drugs business

- loose quote from liner notes to blood and fire's mr isaacs release

sorry i dont have exact quotes at hand but the message is clear: gregory knows the downfalls of life and tries his best to overcome them. if only we could all say that.

one love
jah bill
Indigo
April 16, 2006 11:37AM
it will be a nice show, even though gregory is getting older...about the drugs or whatever..im not too sure of that...and crackhead?? gee, thats harsh...just come and see his show, its really not that bad people...give the man a lil RASpect

Jah Guide
April 16, 2006 12:21PM
I saw enough shows in the seventies that were fueled by drugs, including some incredible performances by Janis Joplin and Jimmy Hendrix. We may never know how much of the art was intensified by the use of drugs. Perhaps, it was my use of drugs that made them so great in my own head, but it seems I was in alot of company. I'm not promoting the use of drugs, but I would not rule out the magnitude of a performance because of it. I would be a hyprocrit to say the use of drugs would keep me from going to see a performer. Altho it might prevent me from going to their hotel room after the show ;-)

Post Edited (04-16-06 13:06)

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
April 16, 2006 12:22PM
True Jah Bill..... It takes a big man

Frustarting from a fan's perspective of seeing Gregory whimper on the mic time again ........ Reggae music as a whole nah support coke or drug things ..... and have so many crucial Concious roots artists available to support
Like twinkle brothers who can't be hated upon... My stomach sick too Norman
"If your a friend of the devil (white powder) you can go to ......."
Balboa
April 16, 2006 05:45PM
The cool ruler is 100% a crack head. It's known and supported/supplied by his manager. His voice sounds poor at best these days. It is only levels of how mentally and physically troubled he is from day to day. Boo . Poor choice snwmf.
April 16, 2006 05:53PM
Hey Balboa, unrelated to this thread, but great job on trombone at the show last night. Always nice to see the horns added in. Was nice to get to select between sets over there. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
garden of delights
April 16, 2006 07:01PM
wow- that's unfortunate, I would hope he'd decide to get some treatment and healing for that instead of it being maintained...
April 17, 2006 06:57AM

answering the post by the person who wrote from Guam.

FYI

Sun April 23
Nokea & Soul Vibrations opening up for Slightly Stoopid

June 3rd
SOJA playing at Polaris Point (????? military sponsored gig) at an all day event called Island Sessions

June 17th just a rumor at this point
Third World

If you need more info, contact me directly at

jahson@kuentos.guam.net

Jah Son RAW #33
alisha
April 17, 2006 09:17AM
hey ...i'm looking forward to evaluating the old man myself....it's been a good 5 yrs since i've last seen him perform, but some friends of mine said his performance at lb marley day was worth mentioning.
jjlab3
April 17, 2006 09:36AM
I have been a huge fan of Gregory Issacs for about 15 years, ever since I got inot Reggae.

I just love his unique voice and the emotion and longing he seems to be able to convey in his lyrics.

I have seen him a few times and have ahd him cancel last minute many others. I still have to love the Cool Ruler. I saw him at the Maritime Hall about 8 years+ back and he put on an amaxing show. Last time I saw him at SNWMF maybe 5 years back he played a very short set and his voice had definitley lost something.

We all have problems in life. Some more than others and it can really suck to get old. I am still glad he is going to be at the years fest and hope he puts on a good show. I have to give him that much for all of the many years of joy his music has given me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login