Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning Spear

Posted by VirginiReggae.com 
VirginiReggae.com
Burning Spear
April 14, 2006 11:31AM
Burning Spear pictures from his upclose and personnal show in Va Beach last monday!

VirginiaReggae.com
papa ray
Re: Burning Spear
April 14, 2006 08:12PM
Hope y'all don't mind, here's something I penned back in '98 when my shop co-sponsored a free outdoor show:

"The 27 year musical institution called Burning Spear has endured three decades
of change in reggae, an indisputable achievement in a genre whose competitive,
quickly changing array of performers make for careers often measured in months, rather than years. Burning Spear is Winston Rodney, of St Ann's Parish
on the island of jamaica, as patriarchal a figure as exists in Carribean music.
...Rodney virtually self-created his unique sound-word-and-vison into an entire separate reality in reggae, more or less untouched by passing fads or styles...Rodney's singing--or chanting --is by turns magesterial and possessed, the perfect medium for incantation or time-travel. Devoted to Rastafarianism, his great subject is the example of the Jamaican thinker, organizer and prophet Marcus Mosiah Garvey. His name and thoughts are the recurring theme of Rodney's music, a focus so unswerving and primary it is impossible to imagine otherwise.

But none of Rodney's devotion to Rastafarianism or Garvey would have, in itself,
made for a long career if the man himself had not been the arresting artist and stage performer that people know world-wide...Quite simply, when the spirit moves him, Rodney becomes The Great Channeler of the African Diaspora, the ghost-voice of the slave-ship and the collective unconscious of those who survive the slavemaster. Every aspect of currently fashionable Afro-centric thought was anticipated and spiritualized by Rodney's own poetic lyrics and sound-chants, a body of work at once as militant as a Louis Farrakan speech yet more Rasta-mystic than even Bob Marley. Dry and heavy. Farover.

One walks away from a good Burning Spear show filled and energized by the magnificent band that Rodney always carries on the road, full-bodied and making no concessions to dance-hall, hip-hop-reggae, or cross-over dreams. The big voice, chanting praises to Jah and Garvey.
April 14, 2006 08:33PM
papa ray wrote:

> "The 27 year musical institution called Burning Spear has
> endured three decades of change in reggae,

uhhhh... never mind. Just letting my inner smartass run wild.

Peace,
-RV
April 14, 2006 08:49PM
for as many good song's as they have.. they always play the same ol' shizz... i seen 1 good burning spear show and it was bout a decade ago down in cincinnatti in some run down ghetto bar... they played 5 hours long and ran through about every song they ever did record... since then ive seen em about 20 times and its been the same show over and over and over again...and not only that, the selection's suck comparred to what they could be bustin out.. all that play jerry play shizz is just for the hippy's in hope's to get more people to hearing reggae and that's all good and all.. but dam, 10 years of the same set list???????? but at least he tells the truth when he say's " maybe next time we can do it like we never did it before" LOL... cause ya dam well know they have...and will again.. winking smiley keep the spear burnin...i guess
flip1
April 14, 2006 10:24PM
seen spear close to 10 times in the last 7-8 years...........

never heard ther same set twice. some of the same songs no doubt.

i think he is one the best reggae performers today.....and that is after 30 years in the biz.
April 14, 2006 11:01PM
I've seen Burning Spear 3 times and I reckon he's one of the best reggae live acts around. He's certainly a hell of a lot better live than his studio albums these days.

I like snow
April 14, 2006 11:56PM
Very Excited Nevo Mexico is for his Record Three shows here next month
May 1st - Taos
May 3rd - Santa Fe
May 4th - Albuquerque

I cannot remember if he has played all three cities in NM before

Ites Rastafari
April 14, 2006 11:58PM
April 15 Variety Playhouse Atlanta, GA
April 17 First Avenue Minneapolis, MN
April 18 Knickerbockers Lincoln, NE
April 20 The Orange Peel Asheville, NC
April 21 House of Blues New Orleans, LA
April 22 Houston International Festival Houston, TX
April 23 Flamingo Cantina Austin, TX
April 24 The Granada Theater Dallas, TX
April 27 Sundown In The City Knoxville, TN
April 29 McDowell Mountain Music Festival Scottsdale, AZ
May 1 The Kachina Lodge Taos, NM
May 3 Santa Fe Brewing Company Santa Fe, NM
May 4 El Rey Theater Albuquerque, NM
May 7 The Granada Lawrence, KS
May 9 The Intersection Grand Rapids, MI
May 10 Majestic Theater Detroit, MI
April 15, 2006 02:50AM
no doubt spear is blessed music with a message to deliver... just wish he would get back to the days when nelson miller was his drummer.. those were the good days
UVA
April 15, 2006 03:35PM
Just saw Spear plus SOJA at Starr Hill in Cville, VA... One of the best shows Ive seen in a while! SOJA warmed up the stage nice... I saw Spear dancing in the crowd rockin' to SOJA! Soon there after he blessed the stage. Give Thanks Mr. Rodney!
April 15, 2006 09:11PM
ganjah, spot on regarding Mr Miller, a truly dynamic and Melodic
percussionist. He really carry the swing w/ Rodney.
April 15, 2006 10:02PM
yes mr nelson miller kept the beat very solid!
Doctor Lifty Lu
April 16, 2006 12:33AM
Wow. I've been listening to Burning Spear and going to his shows my WHOLE LIFE, and this is most definitely the first time I've ever heard a complaint. About the LIVE performance no less. I know reality is subective, but this is a bit confusing. No offense, I know everyone has their opinion (I've got some f'ed up ideas about lots of stuff, I'm sure), but if you're not feeling the Spear, then what is it that draws you to reggae?
April 16, 2006 05:05AM
good question... back in the day when everyone of we was broke and there wasn't really any money to be made from reggae music other then a humble living (if you was lucky) and before it became name brand it was bout a certain vibe just among the people kickin it smokin some weed and shootin the hometown ****....you could find relation in the music because it was true.. and now every other song is based on some other song with the words changed around to make it seem like some new tracks..not to much originality in reggae music anymore like back in the day even up to time of dirtsman etc...but bout the time right after garnett silk died.. reggae went to ****. it is hard to find really good lp's which are truely fresh anymore and maybe i set my standards to high but thats what i get being grown on 92 jammy style..dunno, that was true original bad ass ragga music..at least there is folks around like midnite who do original stuff and few other too still but the follow fashion monkey biznizz got to go just like bunny wailer sing bout, look at sizzla, and then look at how many try to be just like him...is like everyone tryin to walk that line. but wow, i didnt know i had such a problem with reggae till ya asked so thx lol... bring back true ghetto music, the professional thing bugs me too.. i miss that crap gear sound... winking smiley anyway im goin to bed, nightzzzZZZzz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login