April 16, 2006 07:32PM
Can you find TR-808?

Re: Rodigan conquers Downbeat in New York
April 16, 2006 07:38PM
This is how Jah Bill skanks..

cansaman
April 16, 2006 09:04PM
I wish all a we coulda been there last night. Big up Mr Solid Rock for makin the journey. Cant wait to hear the audio.
April 16, 2006 09:14PM
that is solid back there-ha-nice.
one love-juan love
April 16, 2006 11:48PM
who....the one eye-balling Screw's box for the competition? hahaha

April 16, 2006 11:54PM
Where can I get audio of this clash?

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 16, 2006 11:58PM
I'll let you know when it drops.

April 17, 2006 12:19AM
thanks, look forward to hearing it.

April 17, 2006 04:18AM
I'd also love to get a copy, any format. Peace.
TR-808
April 18, 2006 05:50PM

howdy y'all

--
April 18, 2006 05:55PM
so TR-808, can you give us a rundown from your perspective being there? Peace

cansaman
April 18, 2006 06:19PM
Whaaaa big up Mr 808.
TR-808
April 18, 2006 06:27PM

yes cansa, everything is nice

am just back to work and slightly loaded.. going to add some more to this thread in a couple hours...

--
April 18, 2006 06:55PM

The CD will be available @ Addis Ababa International
615 Vanscilen Avenue, Brooklyn Ny
917.309.9932 or 718.649.6551

end of this week, they say....

cansaman
April 18, 2006 07:52PM
Ya done know Chimino. I want the DVD bredren. Also want the DVD from the Mo Bay clash. Gotta see Panther moshing up BO table lol.
April 18, 2006 07:57PM
lol, for real. My boy Trooper finally got whats coming to him...

cansaman
April 18, 2006 08:14PM
Yeah Trooper needed that win for sure. He can mosh things up been then his selector do something stupid an flop him lol.
Yo Solid still wanna hear your thoughts of the clash bredren. Blessed
TR-808
April 18, 2006 11:30PM

well strangely i mostly agree with what i can make sense of on the dhr board. here's my take:

early juggling -- once it really started -- was nice. blocks of gregory, booger minott, including several tunes from sugar 'sufferer's choice' like "uptown ghetto" and "rough ol' life." a couple of black uhuru tunes.. pure 80s. it was lovers while they were finishing stringing up, but this was the only portion that could be called 'early juggling.'

around that time it started packing up, and known veterans like sammy dreadlocks, barry heptones, johnny osburn, glen washington and more turned up in the place. sluggy ranks was there, it was some nice vibes and everyone was on the same page: from the time i heard of this clash i couldn't get much in the way of a clear prediction. that stayed true through the night.

rodigan opened. second tune was cham "ghetto story" and it got a big forward. his other tunes did OK.

downbeat played a response dub called "downbeat story" and it was good -- would have worked better if cut on the same version of the 85, but his was only a close recut -- but not good enough to get as big a forward as the cham. screw's next tunes were bigger than rodigans followups and in the end the hand-vote was not even close. round one to downbeat.

round two went the same way. rodigan got a bigger forward for one tune, but didn't carry the weight across his segment and a show of hands made it look like rodigan would not be able to win the brooklyn crowd over.

it became clear though that this was all part of shrewd mr. david rodigan's plan. he lulled downbeat into a false sense of security... he dropped bounty on the 'sleng teng' and the crowd gave a pretty big forward. pretty big. he had a nice set and from there is about where it started to seem like downbeat got derailed -- i think he chose to play some of the tunes known to be new york-area killers.. almost standards.. but that may have been the wrong move on the night, because it was rodigan who was able to excite the crowd again and again, where downbeat played big tunes yes but could not build or carry momentum.

by the dub-fi-dub there was a sense in the place that rodigan was poised to take the win. i wouldn't say that downbeat was a clear favorite because of his hometown advantage -- the people were there for big tunes -- but i might say it was his to lose. it was up to rodigan to wear downbeat down, and win the crowd over at the same time. and that's what he did. his fresher, sharper tunes tore the crowd away from downbeat who may have relied on his favorites.. and those favorites have carried many nights but more was needed this time.

other big dubs from bitty mclean, alton ellis, kashief.. one of the biggest forwards of the night was johnny osburn "truth and rights" which was nice since johnny was in the place.

the vibes was great. x-amout of heienken and hennesy and i didn't even mind that it had gotten light before i got back to my resting place.

congratulations to rodigan, the winner, and to downbeat, because as promised this was a gentleman's clash and it stayed that way.

i would say, that it was a very close call, and i am personally willing to bet that a rematch will be forthcoming.

is it too early to discuss SNWMF '07?

--
jb welda
April 19, 2006 12:13AM
so chimino, rodigan cant cut it?

ha

the view from your room seems to be closing in by the minute.

one love
jah bill
April 19, 2006 12:57AM
Yes, I need to get out more, don't I?

April 19, 2006 01:07AM
on his own turf~~~>>>> ouch!!!!!!
big up the 2 old timmers for doin it after so many years.
one love-juan love
April 19, 2006 03:20AM
Nice as it sounds that respect from both parties seems to made it a nice affair.

Darn you TR-808

One love
eric v
April 19, 2006 05:30AM
Glad you had a good time man - sounds like a fun trip indeedy.
cansaman
April 19, 2006 05:44AM
Give thanks Solid. Nice review. Hope you had a chance to go check some record shops while you where there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login