Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

STS9

Posted by Dr Lifty Lu 
Dr Lifty Lu
STS9
April 18, 2006 01:58AM
I know I said this on other threads, but these guys are worth the repetition. Saw them at a "World Music" fest in Fairfax a few years back, headlining a bill that included Carlton and the Shoes, Sugar Minott, Ken Boothe and the Abbysinians. Their first set came to a close, and their bassist directed the crowd to turn around, about .5 sec before the full moon rose over the Marin County hills. After it cleared the trees, we all turned around for another superb hour and a half set. Did I mention the amazing artists creating beautiful paintings, LIVE ON STAGE during the show? They also have the purest "One Love" vibe you'll ever come across.

what do y'all think?
Re: STS9
April 18, 2006 04:51AM
For this fest, I'd have to say a very poor choice. Probably better for high sierra, tribal stomp, more fests of the same. They are already at the health and harmony fest in santa rosa the weekend before sierra.
Dr Lifty Lu
April 18, 2006 05:05AM
why would they fit every other fest in CA, but not SNWMF? If they are a "very poor choice", there must be some reason, eh?
?
?
?
April 18, 2006 05:21AM
how do they fit the world music/ reggae category. They are a hippy based jam band. Don't get me wrong, they do some really cool stuff. Base shows on the moon cycle, work w/ sacred geometry, etc. I guess they are like the biodynamic farmers of jam bands.
Indigo
April 18, 2006 05:24AM
do you have more info on the festival in santa rosa?? souns interesting!!
April 18, 2006 05:36AM
HARMONY FESTIVAL 2006
June 9, 10 & 11
Sonoma County Fairgrounds
Santa Rosa, CA

Friday, June 9
North Bay Music Awards
Main Field – 5 PM to 9 PM
Velvet Teen, Wisdom, Stiff Dead Cat, Eric Lindell
Sorrentinos, Lemon Lime Lights, Greenhouse, Trailer Park Rangers, Coma Lilies, Eugene, Santiago...more to be announced!

Friday, June 9
Norbays Friday Night Show
Grace Pavilion – 8:30 PM to 2 AM
Bob Weir & Ratdog
Sound Tribe Sector Nine
Hot Buttered Rum

Saturday Day, June 10
Main Field – 11 AM to 12 Midnight
Cake, Ozomatli, Zero (First Bay Area Reunion)
Hot Buttered Rum, Luna Angel, Hip Hop Summit

Saturday Night, June 10
Saturday Night Techno-Tribal Dance
Grace Pavilion – 8:30 PM to 4 AM
Sound Tribe Sector Nine
Ganga Giri, Freq Nasty
Uberzone, Playground

Sunday Day, June 11
Main Field – 11 AM to 8 PM
Michael Franti & Spearhead
War, New Monsoon featuring Steve Kimock
Aphrodesia, Everyone Orchestra and the
Interfaith Brunch featuring Vernon Bush

Speakers include:
Rob Brezny, Jose Arguelles
Catherine Austin Fitts, Swami Beyondananda

Many more bands and speakers to be added soon!
April 18, 2006 05:36AM
check harmonyfestival.com It's a great warm-up festy for SNWMF. Last year the Kwali music late night in the Casbah Teahouse was transcendental. Goddess temple was cool too.
Indigo
April 18, 2006 05:38AM
sounds irie...more good vibes an times the better!! jus my kinda timesmiling smiley

Bless~
April 18, 2006 02:57PM
my only comment about sts9 is that they would bring a whole new element of fans to the show. I like the band, seen them several times, and i think their fans are cool, but they draw a lot of people and would certainly change the demographics of the audience. not sure if that would be a good or bad thing...

Dr Lifty Lu
April 19, 2006 12:32AM
yeah. . . they would change the dynamics of this fest, but I definitely don't think that would be a bad thing. They could, i think be called "world music" in that they are from the planet Earth, and the music they make reflects just that. There may not be any dominant regional influence, but that's the point: that music shouldn't have any boundaries. Since music is made by People, and all People are really One, why not throw all the styles into a big pot of electronic broth and simmer 'till irie? (Cosmic Slop?)
Also, just on a semantic point, I'd call their fan base more "raver" than "hippie".
(and "jam band" doesn't really say anything about what kind of music is being played).
I also know that this isn't a very realistic request for this fest, I just was curious what the reaction would be. Though they have worked and performed with Tabla Beat Science, and they fit in here just fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login