Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parachutes for camping - materials and setup questions for the massive

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
Parachutes for camping - materials and setup questions for the massive
June 23, 2004 03:59PM
I'm in the running for for a Genuine US T-10 parachute that is about 35 feet in diameter. If I win, is there anyone out there that has one that can discuss setting it up for camping? I'm curious about materials used like posts and rope and stakes and all that. Plus I'm curious about how many it takes to get one of this size set up at a camp site. Thanks.

fourtwentyplenty
Zana
Re: Parachutes for camping - materials and setup questions for the massive
June 23, 2004 04:19PM
I can't give you any answers but I did want to find out where and how much parachutes are. I would really like to get one for future camping camping experiences.
jb welda
June 23, 2004 04:27PM
it is better to buy a tent or sunshade made by a backpacker tent company. parachutes do not screen uv i dont think and so the shade isnt really "shade". plus they are bulky and difficult to set up and manage...you will find that out when you try to find poles etc that will work. i had these as a kid when any military surplus store had them (zana look it up in the phone book i think there is a military surplus store on el camino avenue somewhere) but you cant really do anything serious with them.

i saw a great sunshade kind of tent structure set up in front of the main stage soundboard, made by kelty or northface or someone...it looked great and really did the job well. i would expect they cost the same as a decent tent, 200 or so dollars.

one love
jah bill
Acacia
June 23, 2004 04:44PM
You can get a Kelty sunshade for $35. No joke.
jb welda
June 23, 2004 04:46PM
there you go.

one love
jah bill
Zana
June 23, 2004 04:49PM
I saw a guy there with a 65ft. tarp. It completely covered 2 cars, tents, there entire campsite. It look cool and cozy inside but I can't imagine how hard it would be to setup or take down.
Thanks for the info about chutes Jah Bill. I didn't realize that they didn't block out uv rays.
Sis April
June 23, 2004 05:08PM
We use 3 16X20 foot tarps on the side of the school bus with four 9 foot metal poles and I can tell you--- the 3% UV tarps are the way to go. We had a ton of shade this year. There were atleast 24 chairs set up in circle under it, the whole kitchen, etc.
It was perfect and only cost about $70 total.
A good place for info is the Burning Man web site (www.burningman.com). Look for info on shade structures.

For a frame, I use rebar, 10' aluminium conduit, and right angle connectors. Join three 10' lengths of conduit with two right angle connectors and you get a "U" shaped piece. Bang two straight pieces of rebar into the ground at an angle about 10' apart and slip the ends of the conduit over the rebar. You now have one piece of a free standing structure. Put two or more of these 10' "U" pieces together and you have a light weight flexible structure. Then guy it down, 'cos the next step is covering it.

I use camo netting now but I used to use parachutes. Rather than build a dome and putting a single layer of parachute material over it, which doesn't protect much, I use the parachute folded over (almost semi-circular). Start by guying down the center of the chute, where there's a hole and all the lines cross, then stretch the rest of the material over the structure and guy that down.

Whatever you do, don't have material go all the way to the ground 'cos without a breeze, any structure would turn into an oven.

While this amount of work is OK for B.M., it's probably too much work for the SNWMF. BM is longer, so you amortize your effort over more time. You spend more time in your own camp at BM whereas at SNWMF you spend more time at the festival. And at BM, large shade structures are honoured, whereas at SNWMF they are way intrusive.

I can put up large structures like that on my own, although extra hands make light work, as they say. Parachutes are around $50 or so from Military Surplus type stores, or catalogs like Cheaper than Dirt (there's a bunch of them out there).

Cheers, Neil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login