Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

callin : SOLID ROCK!

callin : SOLID ROCK!
April 19, 2006 09:49AM
Yo Big Nik,
Give me a shout I wanted to ask bout the dj set ups for the fest this year.Its always a little wacky maybe we can smoooooooth it "out inna this here time" as the Itals say...

email me @ smartbeat@hotmail.com when you get a sec.
word,
Chip Bernal
smartbeat crew outtta oaktown
Re: callin : SOLID ROCK!
April 19, 2006 10:29AM
yo Chip-I was about to do the same shout out for solid. Good thing last year we had our gear to set up small stage. Hoping that more organization comes through this june. How's your youth and bro? I've been thinking of you guys, its been a long time since we chilled. I'd love to run some plates some time soon if anything ever opens up spur of the moment. Big up J for me. One Love!
April 19, 2006 10:57AM
wuttup big king! I know i jus seen yer post on there bout that thurs night shiz and was bout to drop a line. sounds tight if mr. livingston was in the area. and ya, brimstone be trippin sometimes man you may wanna stay clear. remember that mikey dread bizness... sometimes people fret for nuthin ya know?... but carltons a hella cool cat though...as you know. but anyway, everyone is nice... kids,fam,etc.. thanks fer askin. how bout the tree o life posse? everyone irie and chillin i hope.
and ya, we wanna help out nik and crew if we can so nobody frettin at the fest bout **** that can be sorted nice ahead of time... we'll see.
cya there holmes..
i'll give shout to dubrock for ya! peace
c-
Spleece
April 19, 2006 11:14AM

>always a little wacky

The understatement of the century..

-s
April 19, 2006 06:53PM
yes-i spleece. an understatment it is. but if it went any smoother id think i was dreamin.
April 19, 2006 07:15PM
Solid is (hopefully) in the studio - tuning in now...
mystic1
April 19, 2006 07:20PM
yeah i kinda gave up on the wrecking of my equipment... since not doin last year i have thrashed my faders year after year and lots of djs always forget their stylus and messed mine up..although i did have everything set up on both stages on time and flowin in the past, just cause it was both my coffins, i guess when you orginize djs you should be responsible for the equipment set-up too...but that suddenly changed in the past 3 years....
April 19, 2006 07:57PM
ya know? i dont blame ya for feelin that way. we've only been involved the last 2yrs and brought decks,cd turns etc. we jus bring our mid grade mixer and turns for that reason. lots of dust on the equipment, dj's borrowing cartridges, headies,droppin the mic, etc...your shiz is never the same after a festival. its kinda like your equipment is the only girl at a party and everyone wants a piece ya know?
x yer digits for a east session this year.
April 19, 2006 09:02PM
Yes we all know that it's work and responsibility.

Last year the sound at the little stage was improvised. Equipment sort of materialized , a nice fellow left his gear and as far as I know never came back to check it, we broke the set down every night and stored it in Ernie B's truck. Thanks to Charlie Morgan for helping us with that and to Ernie B for providing the storage space, and for helping and loaning us cords, and tables and such. And doing it was a lot of fun, but it also involved being there when I didn't really want to be working, like at the end of the evening.

There's also the time commitment. Last year King David and his brother the Trying Youthman for helping man the tables, but in fact by Sunday evening it was a chore. How many hours was music being played at the Village Stage? Thirty? That's a lot of time to cover, especially when the opportunity to spin something is often limited.

It would be great if there were more selectors who would like to share the time without rancor or the any kind of rub-up-push-up mentality. The problem with that of course is that it's really hard to do a schedule in advance, because the music sets are crammed into unpredictable time slots - you can be prepared to do a fantastic set and only be given like 10 minutes. So people can be disappointed. Last year there was a schedule in advance for the Village Stage, but when Friday came and there was no deejay equipment in sight, the schedule became purely abstract. There were a couple of nice interludes where we got to play a lot of nice tunes, but there were even longer interludes where you were there watching everybody's stuff and listening to music you wouldn't otherwise.

The other thing is equipment. It doesn't make sense for people to be hauling their equipment in and out. I think, but don't know for sure, that Larry Hacken would be willing to use his set for one of the stages. That makes sense because he is local, and he has a very professional set up. Of course people would have to bring their own styli and such. But whoever does it, we should know in advance who's going to bring equipment and is willing to be there to run it. Personally, this year I'm bringing my family and intend to have a freer time at the Festival. But I'm willing put some hours, or a day, in. And help organize this.

I would like to ask the people who have already posted on this subject to express themselves with further comments.

Sappa
mystic1
April 20, 2006 08:52AM
yeah thats right about the small stage...i usually had all three stages set up with all my gear then broke down myself...but in the last few years a sudden change in dj scheduling and gear arrangements has fallen into someone elses hands...in between sets the dj organizer should...1.be responsible for gear and set-up,2.be around to check if their is any problems with the set between artist..i.e...no show djs or sound issues,3. not leaving these duties up to someone else...since someone else took over all the sudden it all has been un organized....mike turner if you are the same person im thinking of you have seen me their in the past playin records setting up gear and being around for the djs all the time....i like to enjoy the festival not do someone elses work for their social status..

marty
April 21, 2006 11:41AM
ya mon, dunno how tht shiz it will play out this year. it can a simple, easy thing or it can be a lil silly sometimes... we jus wanna relax, hear some nice tunes in the morning,some niceness between the bands,etc..
last year the main stage went ok (better than the year b-4) , think there was a schedule and i think it stayed semi-intact. we had to build a table out of garbage lids and tree branches,it was off balance, and one side seemed like it was only bout 2' of the ground,plus someone walked off with one of our needles! ( by the way if your gonna steal a needle go ahead and take dem both. one doesn't do me any good ,cuz i buy them in pairs) but other than that it went fine.
we were'nt much involved w/the village stage other than the fact that every once in awhile people come up to us and say that there was no music over there, or a dj would say he was ready but there were no decks? but atleast you guys had a table,ha ha!
soon foward...
sss-
April 21, 2006 12:22PM
sound haffi carry table....!!
solid rock
April 21, 2006 12:33PM

right... trees are turning green from spring again which means it's the time of year when i get calls and emails like "... so yeah bro, i'm just calling to check you and say what's up... i've been [ -- insert 5 minutes reviewing caller's last 10 months of whatever -- ] ... so how's everything on your end? oh yeah, and can i get a spot to play at sierra?"

so thanks for those "big up" and "shout outs"... it's so good to be loved!

anyway, regarding comments above, i'm not sure why i'd even respond.. but here it is:

i've only ever been asked to work with the DJs themselves. each year, i've been told that the equipment was being provided, and that was out of my area of "management." in fact, i've also requested better hardware support, a number of times. trust me on that. the person who was supposed to be providing the equipment has posted above as mystic1. that was his ticket in, and his ticket to play, or at least it was going back a couple years.

from two to three years ago, i went way out of my way to contact more DJs, and to work more people from more places into more spots. i had spleece in there (also posted above.. i think i remember a nice everton blender dub), two different representations from SD, Monterey, and much more. i contacted a lot of people early, and worked out a schedule as early as possible. but, last minute lineup changes blew that schedule up, and because everything bottlenecks in the last days before showtime, management couldn't respond to my needs in a useful way... the end result was that i'd contacted a lot of DJs, really reached out, and in the end i had nothing to give them in terms of scheduling. nobody's fault, really, but i was pretty put off over the whole thing.

the next year, a decision was made to simplify. reduce the number of DJs to a small core. i worked from that decision, scheduled, and it's what we did last year. i thought it went fine. room to improve? sure... always. but we simplified and i thought it went alright.

marty, no problem. you can let go of any equipment concerns. consider yourself off the hook.

anyone else who thinks they should dis, or play bitterness, or try and lay some kind of weird blame thing (whatever those comments are?), especially without asking me or knowing facts... i don't really like that. of course it's still your choice, so no problem. just make sure you don't come and big me up or plastic smile me.

ok so enough of that... apologies to anyone else who reads this and catches vibes from it. a good quote from sky juice a couple years back was something like "...sound system and DJ a real jealousy business..."

i'll be emailing remaining, relevant players shortly. that includes you, smartbeat.

back to the board, and the nice threads, like the one about LARRY MARSHALL!

thanks!

--
Spleece
April 21, 2006 01:12PM

>nobody's fault, really, but i was pretty put off over the whole thing.

I agree, and feel you!

-s
Spleece
April 21, 2006 01:16PM

BTW, that last set I spun up there was for 7 minutes only. If you recall, a water main (or something hella wet) broke. Gates were kept closed, nobody was even there for my 7 minutes, but I go to have fun, not to trip, so it's all good. It would be nice to spin a set up there again. I haven't had a LONG set up there since Marysville when I would spin way more often...

-s
jb welda
April 21, 2006 02:56PM
yes well thats the problem with attempting to dj between sets: there are constant interruptions from the stage with important (or not) announcements etc and then the time between acts really isnt that long to begin with so you end up getting all psyched up and playing 5 minutes of music in many cases.

i think there should be one dj for like a four hour block of time on each stage; that way they get to actually delve into their stacks a bit over the course of three band/stage changes. plus its less an organizational nightmare.

but thats from the peanut gallery you understand.

one love
jah bill
Spleece
April 21, 2006 02:59PM

Jah Bill, that's actually the way it used to be done in Marysville, and yes, I agree!

-s
TR-808
April 21, 2006 02:59PM

actually that's along the lines of what we did last year

not bad from a peanut vendor

--
April 21, 2006 03:36PM
word up big nik. yes..."plastic smile na work" seen?
glad u finally got this message. and like you, i jus wanted to ask a few q's and not open up a big o can of anomosity,jealousy,rivalry,etc...
get back on my hotmail addy.or here? whateva...
sss-
April 21, 2006 08:41PM
Hey nick- This whole time I never realized that you changed your screen name. What's up? Hope things are well out in Chico. Last time we spoke ya told me about some releases of yours. How did that all work out? What label did they get put out on? As far as the dj thing goes, this is how it usually happens. Because dj's never get much respect in the whole aspect of shows and fests go,usually they get slacked on by the upper management. People always feel the need to blame. In my case, my above shoutout was to try to reach you in order to help with a little organization. I feel that some of my past experiences have taught me a few things that i could share. Not wanting to reach ya to vent. Email if ya want or just respond. Talk to ya soon. As far as the table thing goes, I have two perfect Costco heavy duty one's that should do the trick. Let me know if I should bring 'em.
April 22, 2006 10:39AM
yes-i king david bring dem tables. is it a 6'? or 4'? cuz we have a prob with space sometimes...but i'd bring em anyway. if you got room.
April 22, 2006 02:06PM
I believe that I have 2 6' foot tables, both are height adjustable. Before I drag them along, I'd like to know for sure that they will be used. I'd hate to bring extra baggage foer nuttin
April 22, 2006 04:25PM
Hey Solid, when would you bring your own styli and such over there in Serbia?
April 22, 2006 04:37PM
Btw, what's the size and girth of your stylee, if I may ask?
April 22, 2006 08:56PM

-RASpects+
mystic1
April 24, 2006 11:09AM
no jealousy and not tryin to stir things up....i was just sayin that when warren asked me a few years back before nick took over, and i handled the gear and told everyone to show up on friday of the show to see who wants to play where...when no one showed for their spot i stood in thats all....yes it was my ticket in at first and to play but it was for fun and to help out the fest with saving money....but i found out that doing under-the-table hospitality and the djs and the equipment was too much pressure really nick as of the last 3 to 4 years i have donatated my gear just cause warren asked me...and its not my fault that their is a lack of communication amongst the whole fest..yah hear me, and i was expressing how i had to run it because i had to do more than just djs...so you can see where i stand.....and i was responding to what i heard in the first few years of your so called authority..for three days.....you just take things the wrong way NICK....just take SUGGESTIONS to make the fest run more smoothly,not as an insult...
>>>>solid wrote: i've only ever been asked to work with the DJs themselves. each year, i've been told that the equipment was being provided, and that was out of my area of "management." in fact, i've also requested better hardware support, a number of times. trust me on that. the person who was supposed to be providing the equipment has posted above as mystic1. that was his ticket in, and his ticket to play, or at least it was going back a couple years.(((i dont really play much these days...kinda over this sound crap...like it for personal love)

he nick maybe you should contact lauren the production manager...hes the one whos been contacting me about gear...as far as i know he only asked for tables and mixer from me..thats all ..... you should have talked to lauren and warren to get the facts strait...no plastics smiles from me!!!!!!!!!
but yes the main stage was better organized last year...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login