Thursday, May 11

The Rasta Messenger
Warrior King
Plus Wisdom

Santa Cruz Vet’s Hall - 846 Front Street, Santa Cruz
$17 advance / $22 door
Doors 8:00pm, Show 9:00pm
All Ages

Advance tickets available at Streetlight Records in Santa Cruz & at www.inticketing.com
For more show info go to: www.goodvibezmusic.com or call 831-421-9523

Good Vibez Entertainment proudly welcomes Warrior King for his first performance in Santa Cruz at the Santa Cruz Vets Hall on Thursday, May 11!

"Although times hard, and things seems rough, Hold the Faith, because Jah is great." -Warrior King "Hold the Faith."

Like a lightening bolt from the sky, Rasta messenger Warrior King has burst upon the scene, utilizing his gift of song to spread Jah’s truth throughout the land. His 2001 debut single, "Virtuous Woman", was an international smash, it’s righteous lyrics prompting the Jamaica Observer to declare the singer "one of the artist who made a difference in 2001. "Since that auspicious beginning, Warrior King’s compositions have consistently charted not only in his native Jamaica, but also, throughout the entire Caribbean, as well as New York, London, Tokyo and beyond. His freshman release entitled "Virtuous Woman", released on VP Records, boasts a slew of hits like Virtuous Woman, Breadth of Fresh Air, Power to Chant, Pagan and many more. The inclusion of "Never go where pagans go" on VP’s highly influential Reggae gold 2002 further raised awareness of his message and it’s importance to reach all those who are willing to listen.

Warrior King is currently focusing his efforts on "Hold The Faith" the follow up release, which, by virtue of it’s title, still embodies the same heart felt sentiments which makes Warrior King one of Jamaica’s most soulful and inspiring artist to date.

Warrior King was born on the 27th of July 1979, in Jubilee Hospital, soon moving to Clarendon, then settling in the growing city of Portmore at age eleven. "From birth I’ve always loved music, but it was not until I attended high school at the age of 13 that I thought about it as something I could do myself," Warrior King explains. "At this time I followed Bounty Killer’s style, but them my friend Warrior Mark, him said, "you have the potential. You have the talent." From there I started increasing my own thing, and with encouragement of my peers and inspiration and t’ing, the music started to flow." Like many successful Jamaican entertainers, Warrior King gained his earliest stage experience in talent shows. "I started out with school concerts at first, "He says. "At the time when I just came inna music, I used to do some combinations with a yout’ named likkle blacks, Marlon Stewart. We used to do Tastee’s Talent show together, so we could start getting exposed and gain experience." When he first started out Warrior King chatted in a hardcore deejay style, like his original hero, Bounty. A switch to the more holistic "singjay" sound came gradually. "It’s a natural thing what just grow inside of me, even his name is an extension of his evolution. "I changed my name from ’Junior King’ to ’Warrior King’ because it had more of spiritual feel to it. Fighting against oppression, fighting against wrong. I’m jah warrior, yuh know, fighting a warrior rootical love."

Now the singer has just released his second full-length album entitled "Hold the Faith." (October 2005 – VP Records) This release has been molded by the combined efforts of Mark "Warrior King" Dyer, Sheldon "Colibud" (Producer of Sizzla’s ’Black Woman and Child’ VP1648) Stewart, Bobby "Digital" Dixon (Produced Sizzla’s "Da Real Thing" VP1649) and Garfield "Fresh foot" Watson. Slated for a 2004 winter release, this album’s uplifting message of hope and passionate adorning of praise to His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie the first of Ethiopia makes "Hold the Faith" an interactive gospel of strength, hope, with tales of admiration.

Warrior King believes that education is the key to betterment and hopes that music will serve to convey the teachings of Rastafari. "As a Rastafarian you just don’t sing music, you sing music with a p

Known to his fans as Wisdom, Tevya Jones was born into a family of musicians and poets in Colorado in 1972. He was first exposed to hip hop culture at the Ernest Ingold Boys Club in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco, after moving there with his mother at age 6. Wisdom found refuge in writing and performing his first songs at an early age. Rooted in life experience, his diverse style incorporates lyrics that are streetwise with a political edge. He explains: “world issues and human suffering were common topics of discussion in our household, as well as exposure to many types of music and cultures. My music is a natural extension of this.”

After producing a new studio album, Wisdom’s natural next step was to assemble a group of musicians, which was soon dubbed the Wisdom Creations Band, and included bass prodigy and son of Tito Garcia (former lead singer of Santana), Luis Garcia; world-renowned percussionist Mingo Lewis Jr.; keyboardist Gabriel Butler; and award winning gospel drummer Thomas McCree. Two dozen festivals and two hundred live shows later, Wisdom’s self titled debut album has independently sold over 6,000 copies with no distribution. His music can be sampled and purchased at www.wisdomcreations.com, where fans will also find their EP and upcoming second album, titled “Growth and Elevation.”

Wisdom’s unique blend of conscious lyrics with live hip-hop and reggae continues to gain attention nationwide. Wisdom won the category of “Best Hip Hop/Rap” in the 2005 North Bay Music Awards and was labeled “one of Nor Cal’s favorites” by Urb Magazine (Massv Global Getdown, Dec 2004). Wisdom was also a featured artist on Volkswagen and Teva Corporations’ music release called “Tevanthology,” and headlined their show in Utah in 2004. He hosted Reggae on the River 2005 and was a featured guest artist performing with the Pharcydes’ Tré Hardsen and Michael Franti from Spearhead after performing live with his own band in 2004 (20,000+ attendees) and headlining Earthdance International Festival 2003-05 (7,000+ attendees). Chris Deckker, founder of Earthdance International Festival (www.earthdance.org), affirmed that Wisdom is “one of the most progressive and conscious bands to emerge from the hip-hop culture. Truly an electrifying performance!” Carol Bruno, lead producer of the legendary Reggae on the River festival (www.reggaeontheriver.com), agreed. She beamed: “Wisdom is conscious, lyrical, cutting edge hip-hop laced with reggae dancehall beats… Look out for these guys!”

Advance tickets available at Streetlight Records in Santa Cruz & at www.inticketing.com
For press inquires, contact Amy Shapas of So You Can at 831-479-0711 or amy@soyoucan.com

Re: Rasta Messenger - Warrior King - to Santa Cruz for 1st Time - May 11
April 20, 2006 02:08AM
April 20, 2006 11:44AM
"As a Rastafarian you just don’t sing music, you sing music with a p"

?????i think you are missing something here?
April 20, 2006 12:24PM
Go and support this ARTIST>!

He is a humble yute with true love for his fans.
Go see him CALI.....

bless
Indigo
April 20, 2006 04:52PM
yes I!! do not sleep on this show with Warrior King!!
Bless up~
vibezdemnice
April 20, 2006 11:47PM
This is going to be a show you don't wanna miss.
Tickets are on sale at Streetlight in Santa Cruz...Get your tickets in advance becasue this show will sell out.
April 23, 2006 08:03AM
thenks an praise for bring the king...
last i seen wk in copenhagen,dk w.absynians[skyjuice]
crucial vibes spread the message ah this up and ups with warrior king powerful
humvble ras spreading livity irations.
always ion par.
ites.
April 28, 2006 05:43PM
We will be bringing a brand new sound system...For everybody that has been to the vets hall before..they will never see a show that sounds like this..
Big things!!
April 29, 2006 11:20AM
Warrior King in Cali for spring couldn't be any finer
Many many thanks to those forwarding Jah music
Dancin' at Slim's the nite before Rasta Cruz
May 08, 2006 08:20AM
Warrior King coming to Slim's Wednesday, May 10
then on to Rasta Cruz next day
Not to be missed
May 08, 2006 05:34PM
YES, I AM WONDERING DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF HE'LL BE MAKING HIS WAY DOWN I KNOW HE IS PLAYING LONG BEACH, ANY OTHER DATES THAT I SHOULD BE AT AS WELL? ANY INFO WOULD BE APRECI-LOVED.
May 08, 2006 05:51PM
For Jesus and all the southern cali massive:

May 16:
Warrior King and Wisdom
Cooney's
500 Anacapa
Santa Barbara
(805) 564-2040

May 17:
Warrior King and Wisdom
The Rythm Lounge
245 Pine Avenue
Long Beach
(562) 489-4970

May 18:
Warrior King and Wisdom
The Belly Up Tavern
143 S. Cedros Avenue
Solana Beach
(858)481-9022
May 09, 2006 01:15AM
ALL AGES SHOW : SAN FRANCISCO @ SLIMS

THIS WED MAY 10

advance tickets @ ticketweb.com

doors 8PM
May 10, 2006 06:41PM
Does Warrior King tour with a live band?
May 10, 2006 06:50PM
Yes, Warrior King will be backed this time around by Wisdom's band, and I am most definately looking forward to tonight's concert at Slim's in SF!!!!
May 11, 2006 09:21PM
I've got tickets to see them 2nite in SC (and purple to bonfire). It's gonna b and irie show
May 11, 2006 10:11PM
sound is being hauled in as we speak...
the vet's is going to be booming tonight.

Post Edited (05-11-06 15:11)
May 11, 2006 10:35PM
see everyone at Vets 2nite!!

Irie~

~Love Jah and Live~
May 11, 2006 11:44PM
I'll see you all there, front and center. I'll be puffin purps wearin a MBRF shirt. Enjoy all!
May 12, 2006 12:09AM
You got purple? I got Grapes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login