Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

here comes the hotstepper?

Posted by mosquito killer 
mosquito killer
here comes the hotstepper?
April 21, 2006 08:30AM
i'm curious as to whether or not ini kamoze is a legitimate suggestion for next year's fest. can he perform in the us, or does he have visa issues? i was thinking that not only do i really enjoy his varied output, but he has name recognition beyond the hard-core reggae crowd that attends each year regardless, and so might bring in additional attendees. i would look forward to a set from ini, and sly & robbie backing would be the topper on that dream! but seems i've heard he was arrested at one time and so he may have visa issues (i have no clue about this). does anyone know if we'd even have a chance at getting him to snwmf?

m.

Re: here comes the hotstepper?
April 21, 2006 09:35AM
I just hope he reaped nuff financial benefits from Damian's copping the song.
TR-808
April 21, 2006 09:37AM
about to release a "new" album -- i think it's going to be called 'debut' which is strange since it will include the original sly & robbie pieces that he kind of broke through with -- "world of music", "general", etc.

definitely working off the success of "jamrock"

rodigan played a dub to "world of music" the other night and got a forward

--
April 21, 2006 09:38AM
I'm just curious...I wonder how many Damian fans know that was originally Ini music?
TR-808
April 21, 2006 09:48AM

more than 808:

[www.datzwhatzup.net]

--
jb welda
April 21, 2006 09:49AM
i thought that "new" album was already out, seems to me ernie has had it in stock.

i dont think that was ini kamozes music, it was sly and robbies music wasnt it? he probably got a little dunza for them using his one vocal sample but probably not much.

one love
jah bill
TR-808
April 21, 2006 09:55AM
> i thought that "new" album was already out
> seems to me ernie has had it in stock

oops ok i see you're right jb

--
April 21, 2006 10:11AM
JB, the sample used was way crucial to the tune, true?
jb welda
April 21, 2006 10:12AM
looks kind of dumb though. seems to me i read somewhere the riddims are done over instead of the originals. ah yes right at ernies:

>2005 re-recordings of his classic 1980's tunes.

on the good side though it appears the original is available on cd now with bonus tracks:

1. Trouble You A Trouble Me
2. World A Music
3. Them Thing Deh
4. General
5. Wings With Me
6. Hail Mi Idrin
7. Trouble You A Trouble Me (Live)
8. Call Di Police (Live)
PRODUCTION
PRODUCED BY: Sly & Robbie
RECORDED AT: Channel One
MIXED BY: Groucho
MIXED AT: Fallout Shelter
ENGINEERED BY: Soljie

Essential Pick

REVIEW
His first album, same mixing style as Black Uhuru "Dub Factor". All tracks have extended mixes. A true ROOTS REGGAE CLASSIC. The crown jewel of Sly & Robbie productions!!! The CD has 2 bonus live tracks. Excellent sound quality.

MUSICIANS
BASS: Robbie
DRUMS: Sly
GUITAR: Willie Lindo
PIANO: Robbie Lyn

though im not sure i agree with ernies remarks regarding "crown jewel of sly and robbie productions!!!"

one love
jah bill
jb welda
April 21, 2006 10:14AM
>JB, the sample used was way crucial to the tune, true?

the point is, it probably "belongs" to sly and robbie for royalty purposes. maybe not though. funny thing is its pretty much turned into a thug anthem, around here at least.

one love
jah bill
April 21, 2006 10:31AM
I thought it was a Jr Reid tune first.
April 21, 2006 11:20AM
yes, nick i've got the "debut" sampler. it's not bad at all, but it ain't the original either.

so, no one knows about his touring status as far as the usa? does reggae russ read this board, as i think he is helping push "debut"...

m.

Jahsprey
April 21, 2006 11:35AM
I think he'd be a great addition to the fest this or any year.

I saw him headline an outdoor show in Johnson, Vermont back in the early summer of 1990. He was great, and the venue was a county fair-type tractor pull mudpit that was dry on the surface but bouncy and rubbery as you went down. If you stood in the same place shaking to the music, you'd vibrate yourself right into the ground. By the end of the show, there were some people, mostly kids, that were planted up to their waists. Roots people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login