Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dj sets b/t artists

Posted by rustfan 
rustfan
Dj sets b/t artists
June 24, 2004 10:10AM
Cant remember if it was Jah Bill or Solid who mentioned the dj sets b/t artists - but it was said there was some (relatively) unique stuff played - think it was dj Michael Turner or Carter Van Pelt.

Any chance of expanding on what they played - know you can't remember it all - but can anyone roll off any memorable cuts?
solid rock
Re: Dj sets b/t artists
June 24, 2004 10:18AM

if you can tell me when you are talking about i can probably tell you who was playing.

both Mike and Carter played but at different times.
June 24, 2004 10:20AM
never have i* heard more bad crackle & skipped records @ another festival. @least it waz roots records but change it up in the dj's booth a little next year please. the selectors were nah bad like sum unmentioned but more clean dubz a must. giv+thanx*
solid rock
June 24, 2004 10:23AM

one of the turntables up at the main stage was partially broken -- anti-skate was blown.. and the table they were set up on was, um, tilted, so those two plus any little mark on a record = skipping that wouldn't otherwise happen.

happened to me, to Carter, and more.

jahmeek how are your steakhouse sessions going? do you eat ribs while you play?
jb welda
June 24, 2004 10:34AM
too bad no one took the time and energy to set them up properly. maybe ask me next time. that anti-skate thing could have been easily fixed too...

one love
jah bill
solid rock
June 24, 2004 10:48AM

i hear you on both points jb. the table thing was initiated a couple time but as you probably know they're a pretty hot commodity.. we can continue this by email if you want.

generally though the setup worked, and was fine for the newer records that most djs were using. i'll probably suggest that the micmen watch their voice levels next year though, and will ask them to go easier on the advertisements.
June 24, 2004 10:50AM
yeh mon the steakhouse burnning hotter every monday nite in Scottsdale,AZ. (south-west corner of frank llyod wright & 101-pima) @ Earls Tin Palace. friday nites @ the vine are done sorry all u peeperz.
so anywayz atleast dem cook dem meat in the kitchen dar & where iNi play iz located outside so u cant even smell it. unlike saturday afternoon @snwmf where dar waz a chicken vender @ top of hill burning up about 20 chicks @ a time with wind blowin' rite down into crowd on the hill. it waz sum thick smoke i*drenz dat would mek any veggie head stomach turn fowl. more water!
rustfan
June 24, 2004 11:13AM
Solid,

Just a little curious to see what kind of set Carter and Turner played? In Southern Cal if the dj (at a festival) goes a little beyond 'standard' tunes - people start to squirm.

Guessing that the Northern Cal crowd may be a more receptive to different tunes.

No biggie though - what I'd really like to see is a playlist of some sorts, but I know that's asking a lot.

Did you play tunes Solid?
solid rock
June 24, 2004 11:19AM

yeah i played a little

Mike might have a list but i know Carter doesn't, although if you were to email him he might be able to tell you what he played.

he was actually in the studio with me last night for my radio show. i drew early, started with several Eric Monty Morris -- "Sammy Dead Oh", "Ungodly People", "Humpty Dumpty" -- then went to May Pen with some Maytones and a few choice Billy Dyce.

the Pres came with some Immortals (Amalgamated blank.. rasta lyrics and well wicked) and then got rough with some late-60s Treasure Isle aces -- Joy & Jay "I'll Be Lonely" (Jay aka John Holt), John Holt "Tonight", John Holt & The Paragons "Maybe Someday", Tommy McCook "Rock Away", and more Duke business.. then over to Sir JJ with The Ethiopians, and onto Big Joe's "Jah Jah Help Us"... plus more and more (going by memory here).

made for a session that was both nice and rough, which if you ask me is the way to play. so thanks and big request to the President..
Rich "DJ Spleece" Moore
June 24, 2004 11:23AM

I wanna know the herb tune Carter played Friday night. A DeeJay tune. Best tune I heard anyone play all weekend, myself included. I don't know what that tune was, but it was BAAAAAAAADDD!!!
Fish
June 24, 2004 11:27AM
I remember Carter dropping the Mad Lad's "10 To One," but can't remember the other tunes he played. Mike Turner and Larry Hacken played Sir Lord Comic "Jack Of My Trade," the Johnny Lover cut to Sun Is Shining, Leroy Brown's "Color Barrier," and more tunes I can't remember . . .
solid rock
June 24, 2004 11:31AM

i know the one you mean spleece but i can't remember it.. i'll ask him and post back.
rustfan
June 24, 2004 11:42AM
SR,

Thanks....will email Michael Turner.

That radio show with you and Carter sounds like a good one! Hmmm, Eric Monty Morris, ehh - love it! Any chance of hearing your show via computer?

Also, just heard that Downbeat played a Keith Poppin 'Envious' dubplate in the dancehall? Source said the crowd went wild for it.

Can you, or anyone else, confirm the Poppin dubplate?
June 24, 2004 12:08PM
I tried not to play obscurities, but Friday night on small stage couldn't resist dropping Lord Comic's 'Jack Of My Trade', which Carter answered Saturday on the main sttage with 'Franco Nero' both versions of 'Love Is Not A Gamble'.

I also played "Soul Town Reporter' by Johnny Lover, wicked version of the Wailers 'Please Don't Rock My Boat'. Larry and I will try and post our play list later.

Difficulties abounded at the small stage, and in fact NOBODY was spinning Saturday night which was a crying shame.

On Friday DJ SPleece waited hours and then only got to play 3 tunes, as no one could figure out how to get the sound going. Larry Hacken and another guy eventually got things up and running, but the crrossfader never did work correctly, and the guys at the main board kept the main levels so low that you had to push into distortion just to become audible. They pretended not to hear us when we asked for better levels, as if we were going to play inappropriately loud or something. So a frustrating evening but thanks to SNWMF anyway, and maybe next year the deejays can be allowed to organize things properly.

At any rate, at the small stage anyway, sound distortion was not due to scratchy records, but to bad levels.

On the main stage Carter did play a scratched copy of a Jailbreakers tune, but it sounded fine to me!

Mike Turner
rustfan
June 24, 2004 01:18PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the report - look forward to a set posting.

Jailbreakers? Never heard of 'em.

Gonna get an email to you about something else.
solid rock
June 24, 2004 02:46PM

> DJ SPleece waited hours and then only got to play 3 tunes

don't think it was hours, but i wasn't there. i think he was only asked to play for a short bit before a certain band, so if he came early that was his choice. as far as the "three tunes", that's the way it goes sometimes at festivals.

anyway i imagine there will be a couple changes to the organization of djing next year. for example we'll look replacing some of the djs. some didn't come prepared (showed up without headshells/cartridges), some missed slots, i even heard that some played tunes by the artist they were preceding. yes, really.
jb welda
June 24, 2004 02:59PM
bringing headshells and cartridges to plug into a turntable is a recipe for disaster...unless you plan on balancing the arm before you play. every headshell/cart combination weighs different than every other one; therefore youve now got 8 grams force on the stylus which translates to 50,000 lbs/sq ft on the actual record which equals terrible sound and worn out records AND stylus; or youve got -5 grams on the stylus which equals skipping records. better to have a decent tt with a decent cartridge in place that everyone can use. that way you can be assured of some consistent sound out of it. the bit about the anti skating not working pales in comparison.

what really needs to happen is to have a qualified technician set this stuff up and oversee it if necessary. thats why i wont bring records anywhere near situations like this. maybe its just me.

one love
jah bill
solid rock
June 24, 2004 03:02PM

although technically accurate, it is just you on that part of things jb.

it's common "edicate" these days for djs sharing tables to provide their own headshells and cartridges.
jb welda
June 24, 2004 05:02PM
its not "just (me)" on that solid. its anyone who knows what they are doing. the fact is, switching headshells/carts without rebalancing the tone arm is a bad thing for the reasons i state above. and most "djs" i know dont have a clue how to do even a simple procedure like that, and besides, being on a cramped soundboard platform in the sun and wind (not to mention dark) isnt conducive to such adjustments. so its just bad policy whether its common or not. again, thats why i dont play out at these things (besides the fact that "playing out" usually means like 3 or 4 songs).

thanks though. if you dont believe me, ask someone you respect, like scientist.

one love
jah bill
June 24, 2004 05:14PM
A better Dj booth all the way round I think - off to the side of the stage, facing the audience (in the shade). They had something like this at ROTR and I thought it was a great setup. I also don't think in a festival situation, with uncertain time slots, etc. - that switching cartridges, etc. would be very practical technical difficulties aside... even though as JB states it wouldn't take much time, but still - I mean really, what is the point!
solid rock
June 24, 2004 06:17PM

jb i agreed that you were "technically" correct.

you don't have to like it, but that's how it is. i don't plan to change dj culture before next year either so i guess you'll skip that too.

no problem of course.
June 24, 2004 11:08PM
Solid,
SPleece was there between the first two acts, and he and another guy struggled to get the sound going. Unsuccessfully. I don't know if the other guy was an official technician or not, he was a West Indian guy who looked a lot like a young Lee Perry!

Same story between the the next set, lots of dead air while the two of them tried this and that, this and that, until finally Spleece got to drop a few I Roy tunes, but the board was still really messed up.

I don't think it's THAT hard to run a sound in those circumstances. I think what you need is someone who knows what they are doing to be around from early on. Maybe it's a small thing anyway, people don't come to hear the deejays between sets, but I recall concerts that were really boosted by the selectors in between sets, Mateel Community Center being a prime example of deejays keeping the vibe going. And I reckon that a lot of the selectors are radio guys who have done a lot to boost the festival and this is a nice way to close the loop.

Given a chance I'd happily do it again.

Mike
June 24, 2004 11:21PM
I may well be talking out of my ear here, but sometime over the weekend I could swear I heard a wicked tune, possibly a dj cut, on the marijuana riddim. Anyone throw any light on this ? I'm not even sure where (stage, dancehall, etc) I heard it, all I remember is being in a very receptive state for a good tune, possibly just after hanging with jb !
Loren
June 25, 2004 01:43AM
OK, Here is the straight dope on the cartridge/needle thing from the scientist: Everyone who calls themself a 'professional DJ' should know the following: Each stylus has a different shape. If you are a picky professional DJ, you use only one shape and type of stylus. This is because if you think about the physics involved, there is an amazing amount of pressure on the actual surface area that touches the groove in the vinyl. Figure it out; there is however much weight on the arm in grams, then you figure out how many pounds per square inch pressure that is, devided by the amount of surface area of the stylus. It equalls thousands of pounds per square inch. This force on the surface of the groove causes an imense amount of friction on that groove surface, which creates heat. Enough heat to literally melt the surface of the record each and every time it is played. 2 things happen: One, every little piece of dust, or microscopic debris gets permanently blasted into the surface, and two, the groove gets reshaped to the shape of the stylus. This is ablolute. If you keep changing the stylus, or using whatever is on the tables you are 'visiting', then you wear out your records prematurly, and it is noticable in the fidelity, dynamic range, etc, QUICKLY. SOoooo....THere is only one way to avoid this: Bring your own cartridges, and styli, AND a scale for determining the EXACT amount of weight that is being exerted on the stylus. NOBODY, save for one, did that this weekend. Further, of the so called PRO DJs, several didn't even have their own cartridges. In addition, many of our Pro DJs didn't even show up for their sets, and our friends from Oakland, Jaime and Chip Bernal were there to fill in the 'dead air' that I abor so much, which is really a pet peave of mine. Wouldn't cha know it....the 2 guys who were told they couldn't have a slot, got to spin more time than anybody else, and guess what? THey brought their own styli and wieghed them.....Now if one of our acts on the stage didn't show up on time..... C'mon folks get it together!!! In the future, more time and energy will be spent on the 'booth', things I didn't know, like building a stack of concrete blocks for the tables, maybe a wind screen, cover from the sun, etc.
Anyway, all in all, there was some great moments in music from the DJs. There is always room for improvement, we will improve
Loren, Production manager, SNWMF
jb welda
June 25, 2004 09:17AM
thank you loren.

check me next year man and i will help with the construction of the dj booth and will try to assist in getting the tables set up correctly.

its good to hear from someone familiar with physics. that stuff will get you whether you overstand it or not. try fighting gravity sometime.

hope to see you out at the ranch soon, star!

one love
jah bill
solid rock
June 25, 2004 09:32AM

bufo -- that was our man Sanjay with Big Joe "Smoke Marijuana" (cut to Linval's "Marijuana"winking smiley.

loren and jb -- for the THIRD time, i am NOT in disagreement or disbelief with the physics you're repeating. i UNDERSTAND. still, djs typically bring their own cartridge and styli. the main reason for that? i don't know.. how about if we use yours for the festival, jb? do you want to just leave a few hundred dollars worth of hardware sitting there for whoever to use?

the way this came about is that 1) djs don't want other djs to wear out their equipment, and 2) over the years, enough cartridges/headshells/styli have just "walked out" of enough clubs and parties that most djs don't want to leave theirs to that same chance.

also loren -- i don't know who you mean by "pro djs". we generally prefer to support the radio djs who help keep this music growing and flowing over the airwaves all year long. some exceptions are made, but not many. still, your guys weren't denied -- i returned their call to me but they never called me back.

but you are right that some djs missed or blew off slots and some were not prepared. that gets weighed in for next year.

and you are also right that there is room for improvement and there were some nice tunes too.
jb welda
June 25, 2004 09:41AM
im not arguing with you solid, im just stating facts. many others in the dj booth dont have a clue about physics. im stating what i said for their benefit. if they choose to listen or not, thats their choice.

as for the equipment i would think the turntables would be equipped with basic carts and i would also expect that any djs using them would respect that and leave them attached to the arm. maybe im wrong. im supposing that the turntables are supplied by the festival and/or sound companies. could be wrong about that.

anyway, its really almost a moot point when the most i heard any one selector play was about 3 tunes before they got interrupted by some announcer.

**->>> forward #*->>>>

:-)

one love
jah bill
solid rock
June 25, 2004 09:45AM

cool, i get you. +*thanks*+

we can talk options on Saturday over some curry -- which i hear is gonna come WELL HOT!!!
June 25, 2004 10:36AM
R.A.W.#1792* alwayz bringz own mixxer & tables to avoid all the noid & deliver a hot pot of heavyweight dub. just plug iNi in!"already" ready for next year. phone #'z on back page of Reggae Festival Guide right next to puzzle answerz, e-mail here aswell.
-RASpects+
June 25, 2004 10:42AM
Solid, is that currently available ? Thanks for the info, top tune.

My unsolicited two penneth worth, if a proper dj booth is set up, most of these potential problems disappear. The music inbetween bands is in my mind very important, the selectors should be reading the crowd etc, letting people unwind after the acts, but not lose all energy and momentum. And yes, some organization has to be installed with the speakers, that one native american dude, bless 'im, had people all around me either covering their ears or actually leaving, why the sound guy couldn't trim his mike I don't know.
solid rock
June 25, 2004 10:54AM

hi bufo

yeah it's around, on two different LPs and was around on 7" too.

agree with your two penneth. generally what we are up against is prioritization and resources. when everything bottlenecks at 3, 2, then 1 day before the festival, the filler business gets the back seat.

still, developing, improving and tightening up to come. no doubt.
Rich "DJ Spleece" Moore
June 25, 2004 11:24AM

Yes Solid, if you come to spin, you should come with slip mats, stylus & needles, spindle adapters, headphones, AND the education it takes to put your gear on the rig & adjust things properly, and that's whether the tunrtable arm is broken or not! I had NO problems spinning on broken tables Sunday morning.

I DID wait three and a half hours Friday night for my set to happen, and then spun the only Bob Marley tune I heard up ther the whole weekend, three other tunes, then cut! I wasn't trippin' about it then, and I'm not trippin' about it now. I had about 40 minutes of an uninterupted set Sunday morning on the mainstage that I am REALLY happy about, then gave my set before Ras Michael to Marty, who I belive shared it with Boomshot.

Respect!
-spleece
solid rock
June 25, 2004 11:30AM

thanks spleece, for the good work and the good attitude. glad you got some good time.

see you next year if not sooner.
Rich "DJ Spleece" Moore
June 25, 2004 11:48AM

Oh Dood! I had a blast! It's a FESTIVAL, so you go with JAH flow, right?

Solid, your boy is gonna be happy with all this work I'm sending him to cut. It's turned out I'm sending him more than 40 tunes now, and more to come this week still! Thanks again for that link, and I hope to see you BEFORE next year man!

RESPECT in EVERY ASPECT!

-Spleece
July 01, 2004 12:16AM
Sorry but i just now started reading this board. I'm not sure it's the one you mean, but Friday night I played the herb anthem: Michael Palmer's "Don't Smoke The Seed" which i have on a hitbound 10". I believe I followed it with Desi Root's "Weed Fields", also wicked. I started the set with Jacob Miller's "Stand Firm", but it didn't sound good until the soundman came back & I asked him to give us more volume. I already put the records away but from memory i played:
Hugh Roy "Wake The Town", Rudy Mills "Long Story", Max Romeo "Chie Chie Bud", Barry Biggs "Work All Day", Thunderball "White Bird Come Down" (got a good response from this one), Pablo Moses "Give I Fe I Name" + version side, & more which I'll post if i remember. Mike & I alternated selctions for awhile, then during the sound check, Mike went somewhere because we thought we were done.... Luckily (for me only), Alton was late & couldn't be found, which gave me more time to spin. Btw, I brought my own headshells, but unfortunately one matching Ortofon went out (?) the week before, so i had 2 different cartridges. I balanced & adjusted the tone arm weights accordingly & we had no skips that i remember. Also, really glad i brought extra stylis cause one was shot. Give Thanks to Solid & crew for putting it together. & I'm looking foward to helping next year any way i can.

Respect!
Larry
Heavyweight Sound
Spleece
July 01, 2004 09:31AM

>>Desi Root's "Weed Fields"

THAT'S the one man! THANKS!
-Spleece
July 02, 2004 04:47AM
Cool Spleece... That was a difficult record to find. I've yet to hear the LP of the same name but someone came up to me while i was playing it & said the whole album is good. i haven't found much else Desi R. that i've liked with the exception of "warning" which i think he did for DEB.
Also, thought of another song to add to my playlist from Friday night: Tappa Zukie "Viego".

Larry
Heavyweight Sound

jbwelda
July 02, 2004 08:56AM
isnt desi roots the guy who does "rambo"? love that song and esp love the dub version on the fairly obscure record "serious dub" that came out 10 or so years ago.

one love
jah bill
rustfan
July 02, 2004 09:06AM
Larry,

That Thunderball "White Bird Come Down" - is that a UK Attack press - or is it a JA 45? Curious to know if there's a JA press. I need to listen to that song again and figure what it's all about. By the way, who were the Thunderballs - their "My Twentyith" (sp?) is one of my favs too.
July 02, 2004 04:21PM
Wow - someone who knows about Thunderball! As far as I know he just made the two songs, both produced by Jerry of the Maytals. What a great singer.

Never seen a JA copy of "White Bird".

Mike
Fish
July 02, 2004 05:06PM
Desi Roots was previously known as Desmond Young, and cut "Warning" for Jimmy Radway under that name. I'm guessing the DEB one is a later cut, but I haven't heard it . . . the Radway production is one of the best roots tunes ever, IMHO, and the Big Youth and I Roy cuts to the rhythm are right up there too.

"Weed Fields" (great selection, by the way, I remember noticing it) is on Desi's "Doing It Right" LP on Hawkeye, I haven't heard of a "Weed Fields" album. "Doing It Right" is pretty good, although there are certainly a few weak moments . . . I remember it being quite a bit better than his "Children In Exile" LP for the same label, but I haven't listened to the last one in a while so I could be wrong. The rhythms on "Doing It Right" are also dubbed up on another Hawkeye LP called "Scientist vs. Crucial Bunny - Dub Duel," which, similarly, is worth investigating but is nothing extraordinary.
July 06, 2004 09:54PM
Yes Fish! both versions of Warning are killer & the DEB version has a different feel & was later. I do like the Radway version better. Don't know Rambo, JB.
Rustfan, Thunderball White Bird is on an Attack UK label. 'My Twenty Eight' is on a blue Trojan Rockers label. Thanks to mike t. for turning me on to Thunderball. If he hasn't seen the JA press, then i wonder if one exists.
best,
Larry
July 20, 2004 05:32PM
Andre is that you????
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login