Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prince Far I*

Posted by juanlove 
Prince Far I*
April 27, 2006 09:44PM
came across some of prince far i's stuff ive had on tape since way back.
does any one know if he is still with us? those rubba dub tunes long side that deep spoken word and chant~ sends chills up my spine. -come again- big tune!!!
one love-juan love
junjolawes
Re: Prince Far I*
April 27, 2006 09:50PM
unfortunately he was murdered 15 September 1983
April 27, 2006 10:07PM
seems to be the storie with most or all of the greats-thats too bad.
-uncle joe~ your mashin up my big toe- another boom tune by none other long side the cool ruler.
one love-juan love
kalcidis
April 27, 2006 10:24PM
»The killing of Prince Fari on 15 September 1983 was the final element that convinced Roy Cousins to emigrate to Liverpool for good. ‛I went blind with cataracts and I divorce and remarried,’ Cousins explains. ‛Me there work with Fari and them kill him, and me just decide fi call i a day. Them kill him over a dance: they wanted to keep a dance and him give [a promoter] half of the money and owe him half, but [the promoter’s] woman mash up the dance the night, she have a fight, so Fari say him nah pay his other half of the money. Prince [is] one of the man who come through the system the hard way. Is a man who go to prison a Jamaica and certain things, and Jamaica is [about] survival. Edgewater him live, and him go home to water him garden, and the [gunmen] them a watch him, and as soon as him roll up the hose to go in, they go with him. Them say everybody fi lay down on the floor, and I hear him lay down neatly, him don't put up any resistance, but him wife, she know the boy them, and she a put up resistance, and they shoot she first, but she never dead, and they shoot him, kill him like an animal. In the living room you see the blood with his fingermark all over the wall, when a person in agony.’«

From David Katz book »Solid Foundation«
April 27, 2006 10:24PM
Juan Love,

Have you ever heard The Prince Far I track where he tells the story of the preacher named Bedward, who thought he could fly? Look out for it. Respect, MK

AKA
April 27, 2006 10:37PM
Bedward - Singers and Players from the Staggering Heights lp (on-u sounds or 99)
nice one.

another one to look for....
Survival is the game down here in Jamaica.
You can tell a rudeboy by the way he walks.
You can tell a rudeboy by the way he talks.
Him a murderer.

Survival - on the Umkhonto We Sizwe (Spear of the Nation)lp - tough riddims by radics on that one
HIGHPRAISE
April 27, 2006 10:50PM
"Special Request" gets me everytime .. Supposedly one of the last tracks he laid down before his death ..
April 27, 2006 11:06PM
> 1 of the best voices ever in dubwise!
> just like when sum1 seh true rastafari, prince's voice is sure thunder everytime*

-RASpects+
jb welda
April 27, 2006 11:19PM
merchant ship with singers and players!

on revenge of the underdog; reprised on ghetto priests vulture culture as part of remake of dungeon.

one love
jah bill
April 28, 2006 12:26AM
thanks for all the info from every one. ive heard alot of his material but dont know to much about the man him self.
one love-juan love
April 28, 2006 12:47AM
Born. Michael Williams, c.1944, Spanish Town, Jamaica, died. 15 September 1983.

Prince Far I, the Voice of Thunder, was originally a bouncer at StudioOne, Jamaica's premier record label of the 60's and early 70's. A huge, muscular figure with impressive facial scars, he was known as a gentle giant with hidden depths. One day in 1970 King Stitt, the regular DJ at Studio One had failed to turn up to voice a track, and Michael the bouncer persuaded the producer, Coxsone Dodd to give him a try. Impressed, Dodd named the new artist King Cry-Cry and a legend was born.

After a couple of records as King Cry-Cry, he renamed himself Prince Far I. A gruff, deep, slow-burning rhymer, his talents at first appeared limited although Far I was built to last: while other DJ's careers fizzled like firecrackers, Far I retained his status throughout his life. when he really let rip, as on his 1977 album "Under Heavy Manners", he was awesome. His "Psalms For I" (1976) remains a roots classic today, and his Trojan Records albums, "Free From Sin", "Jamaican Heroes", and "Voice Of Thunder", were all of a high standard. A brief liaison with Virgin Records brought him a wider, rockier audience, as did his "Cry Tuff Dub Encounter" (1976-1979) series of dub albums, originally cut for his own Jamaican label Cry Tuff.

Eventually Far I spent a fair portion of his time in England, where he recorded as part of 'singers and players' for Adrian Sherwood's On-U Sound label. The pair worked together well, particularly on the "Virgin" single, an undistinguished swipe at Far I's previous label. UK gigs were frequent , with Far I, dressed in biblical robes, 'chanting down Babylon' with the help of a hundred of white kids, whom he genially met and signed autographs for after the show.

However, just as he was starting to build this following, he was shot dead in Jamaica, yet another victim of Kingston's regular street violence, one year short of his 40th birthday.
April 28, 2006 04:13AM
I'm a huge far i fan. Cry tuff 7's and the hitrun 12's produced by him are by far some of my wickidest plates. Anyone know his tune called Love By Everyone? Prince F is actually singing on this one. A really nice treat to hear him in another style.
May 03, 2006 09:58PM
hey trinity-
check this out:

[download.yousendit.com]

one love-juan love
May 03, 2006 11:01PM
Bedward Version......

I'm feeling it. Respect, MK
May 04, 2006 04:11AM
oh u want far i goodies?

go to be-LOW!!!

[www.sendspace.com]
May 04, 2006 05:18PM
King Cry Cry!! Rumbling voice of THUNDER!!!

"Wish I have a wing, I would fly, fly, fly,
Wish I have a wiiiiiinggg.......uuuhhhhhhh!!!"

One of my favorite all-time best...chanting down babylon!
May 05, 2006 04:21PM
listen bump
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login