Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT:favorite vacation spot

Posted by baykay 
OT:favorite vacation spot
May 03, 2006 12:20AM
I realize vacationing is a sort of consumerist, arrogant western thing... but, with a beautiful warm day outside, I was wondering what people's favorite vacation/relaxation places are? (please give me something other than negril)
Re: OT:favorite vacation spot
May 03, 2006 12:24AM
other than snwmf too winking smiley
May 03, 2006 01:40AM
humboldt and siskayou county rivers
May 03, 2006 01:40AM
oh yeah - and trinity county rivers
May 03, 2006 08:58AM
the mexican(pacific) coast south of mazatlan is very beutiful no matter where you go. some of the nicest beaches ive ever been to or seen.
one love-juan love
May 03, 2006 06:25PM
#1 reccomendation: Dominica

This Island is very beautiful and the people are warm and humble. Great beaches, rain forest with 365 rivers cutting through the lush vegetation. Wild fruit and tropical flowers are in abundance. the best part of all is that not a lot of tourists are hip to it -yet. Go check it in.

Faith = Strength
May 03, 2006 07:26PM
don_julio, agreed 100% man.

We're going to be renting a house on the ocean side of School Rd. Nice view of the Mad River, the cows, and the ocean. :-)

Peace

May 03, 2006 10:23PM
I don't think americans take enough holiday. i love the eastern sierra nevada mountains....no tv, no cell phones...beautiful mountains....especially this time of year when the flowers start blooming.
May 03, 2006 10:34PM
mmmm, dominica...
where'd you stay, lionheart?
May 03, 2006 10:41PM
Don Julio, I second that. I have some very fond memories of kayaking down the Trinity and rafting down the Salmon River. Nuff Stoneflies a gwaan.....
May 03, 2006 11:34PM
andee are you talking about along 395 south of bishop? very cool around there. i esp like the panamint mountains and goler wash area and china garden springs near darwin.

one love
jah bill
May 03, 2006 11:49PM
Shelter Cove, CA-Southern Humboldt Coast

Bermuda
May 04, 2006 12:32AM
San Simeon! Centrally located between SoCal and NoCal. I just got back from 5 days there with my Wife and two kids. It's a way slow and relaxing environment. We usually go two times a year and stay at the Cavalier Inn. The rooms on Kings Row are only about 200 feet from the ocean and have incredible views. We usually leave all the windows and large sliding glass door open all night and sleep to the sweet sound of the raging surf. The Inn has two great swimming pools a great gym room and some of the best room service I have ever seen. good prices too. We especially love the fantastic beach walks and often make sand castles with my 6 year old. Sunset walks on the beach are the best. The rooms have nice wood burning fireplaces and the Inn starts 3 bonfires near the beach every night. Also it's nice to visit the nearby quaint town of Cambria. See www.cavalierresort.com/.
May 04, 2006 12:42AM
Yes JB that's the area. I've hiked the muir trail for 2-3 weeks at a time and it is really a cleansing experience....so long as the bears don't get your food
May 04, 2006 02:08AM
hey J_72 - you go out to the local reggae shows much? Just found out im going to be playing some records before the batch and ras attitude show at mazzottis in a couple weeks - you should say what up if you there.
May 04, 2006 05:39AM
don_julio

Shoot me an email man.

JABergmann@aol.com

Peace

May 04, 2006 06:31AM
My parents said that Portugal was awesome.

One of my favorite places is Paris, but mainly because of the Louvre & Notre Dame.

I also loved Granada (in Spain), because of the flamenco music & the Alhambre (built mostly by the Moors, but finished by the Spanish when they retook Spain). I am a great lover of architecture (& art), & the Moors are by far the greatest architects the world has ever known.

Speaking of architecture, India (the Taj Mahal) is at the top of my list of places to see next.

-Xochitl (a.k.a. "La Tejana"winking smiley
May 04, 2006 02:52PM
Xochitl, if you get to India, check all the beautiful Hindu temple art. Also, got the Egyptian pyramids in your plans anytime soon?

May 04, 2006 03:12PM
I enjoy Paris too LaTejana. Been there many, many times through the years, but most recently, my lady and I travelled to Andalucia and LOVED IT!!! Viva Los Arcos, one of our favorite little towns in that region....
May 04, 2006 05:14PM
East and West Shore beaches of Lake Tahoe... Emerald Pools, Yuba River
... my only vacations every summer are to SNWMF and ROTR... priorities y'know... other than that my free time is spent at the lake or the river

Respect Same Way
May 04, 2006 05:32PM
where do you live, La Tejana?

one love
jah bill
May 04, 2006 07:37PM
J_72, thanks for the info on India. If I get there, I will definitely check out the art. I'd love to go to Egypt someday. That's probably #6 or 7 on my list.

Daniel, I've only been to Paris once, & was sad to have missed seeing the Godin museum, since sculpture is my favorite type of art, along with architecture. As for Spain, I've traveled all over it, but definitely love Andalucia the best. I think it's all that fusion of cultures, which creates a beautiful fusion of music, architecture, food, etc.

Jah Bill, I live in Oakland, California.

Has anybody been to China? I've heard mixed reviews about it. Still, considering it's long history, it has always been a place I've wanted to visit.
May 04, 2006 07:41PM
ah, for some reason i thought you were in los angeles.

i have a hard time going to urban places for vacations. i much prefer the tropics if its abroad or the desert or northern rockies if its in the country.

one place ive always wanted to go and havent made it yet is africa, specifically kenya and ethiopia and maybe south africa too.

and ive been hoping to get to nepal with professor one of these days if the political situation cools out a bit.

would like to go back to papua new guinea one day too to see how it has fared since i lived there up to the early 80s.

one love
jah bill
May 04, 2006 07:48PM
Thailand!! The empress and I spent a month roaming SE Asia in September. Singapore-Thailand-Cambodia-Bali. I would recommend any of these, but thailand and Cambodia stand out. Cambodia for Angkor Wat in Siem Reap. In Thailand we hit Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Once you are there, prices for food and lodging are cheaper than anywhere I've ever been. The humbleness of the locals is almost unimaginable. A true sensi of inity all-ovah. Ubud in Bali is the choice stay there. We hit Kuta for 1 night and ran away quick. the day we left in October Kuta was hit with 3 terrorist bombs. Head to the hills.

If anyeye wants contacts, just drop I an email.

Love,
ic
May 04, 2006 10:10PM
The "old" spots of China are incredible I've heard...but bring a jar of peanut butter if you don't like NOT knowing what kind of animal is in your food! :-)

May 05, 2006 02:49AM
Yeah, I went to this dim sum restaurant in downtown Oakland's Chinatown last year, & started crunching on a lot of stuff that tasted like nothing I've ever tasted before. I tried asking the waiters what I was eating, but none of them spoke English. I'm glad, because I'm not sure I'd wanna know...
May 05, 2006 05:18AM
Na' Pali coast and all of Kauai

May 05, 2006 01:56PM
Crete & Santorini - magical in the off season
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login