May 4th 1998 - Tommy McCook passes

May 4th 2004 - Sir Coxsone Dodd passes

=-(
Re: May 4th: Sad day for Jamaica and reggae
May 04, 2006 07:35PM
Actually should have said: Sad day for Jamaica, Ska, and Reggae
May 04, 2006 08:26PM
Do you really think people in Jamaica think May 4th is a sad day for them?
Who are you speaking for?
May 04, 2006 08:30PM
... on the other hand Jacob Miller was born today in 1952... see "Killer" thread

Respect Same Way
May 04, 2006 08:31PM
celebrate each and everyday when we wake up in the morning...

one love one peace
May 04, 2006 08:32PM
I think forward is inquiring about the very unfortunate coinciences that occured on May 4th rather than Jamaica being sad on that particular day. He is speaking to us....
May 04, 2006 08:48PM
True reasoning about sad events that took place- livication to the late greats and a big deadiction pon Christopher Clotdumbus
May 04, 2006 09:11PM
It's okay to despise or resent certain events, or historical facts...but, we have to acknowledge that w/o Columbus, and the history of the western hemisphere...there would be no Bob, Jacob Miller, Reggae, Samba, Calypso, Salsa...just to name a few...i could make a whole list of the positive that came thru the negative history, being from Brasil, my list would be pretty extensive. What happened, happened...
May 04, 2006 09:24PM
Yes, Kultureman, you can look at historical events as the glass half full or the glass half empty, so too speak. Calling it a sad day for Jamaica makes no sense too me...but whatever.
May 04, 2006 09:25PM
i thought jacob miller was born in 1954?

We Are Creatures Of Love, and Victims Of Hate.
Ziggy Marley
May 04, 2006 09:26PM
People a free to credit who they please, so feel free to credit who ya want. C.C. not on my personal list (no offense directed to anyone whatsoever) and I don't credit him for Bob, Jacob Miller, Reggae, Samba, Calypso, Salsa.. just to name a few.
May 04, 2006 10:24PM
"Calling it a sad day for Jamaica makes no sense too me...but whatever."

Christopher Columbus' was no more the discoverer of America than Pocahontas was the discoverer of Great Britain. Native Americans had built great civilizations with many millions of people long before Columbus wandered lost into the Caribbean.
The Spanish monarch invested in his excursion, but only on the condition that Columbus would repay this investment with profit by bringing back gold, spices, and other tribute from Asia. This pressing need to repay his debt underlies the frantic tone of Columbus' diaries as he raced from one Caribbean island to the next, stealing anything of value. Failing to reach Asia, what was the single most valuable thing he could take....human lives!!
He seized Indians from the all over the carribean, crammed as many onto his ships as would fit and sent them to Spain, where they were paraded naked through the streets of Seville and sold as slaves. Columbus tore children from their parents, husbands from wives. On board Columbus' slave ships, hundreds died; the sailors tossed the Indian bodies into the Atlantic.
Because Columbus captured more Indian slaves than he could transport to Spain in his small ships, he put them to work in mines and plantations which he, his family and followers created throughout the Caribbean. His marauding band hunted Indians for sport and profit - beating, raping, torturing, killing, and then using the Indian bodies as food for their hunting dogs. For instance let's just take the Island of Hispaniola, with in four years his men had killed or exported one-third of the original Indian population of 300,000. The first casualties of the holocaust of American Indians. The plantation owners then turned to the American mainland and to Africa for new slaves to follow the tragic path of the Carribean Indians.

Now tell me that is not a sad day for Jamaica.

Post Edited (05-04-06 17:00)
May 04, 2006 10:28PM
Also to clarify..
1494 - Sad day for Jamaica(not Jamaicans)
1998 - Sad day for Ska
2004 - Sad day for Reggae
May 05, 2006 09:36AM
I'd have to say that 1998 and 2004 would be equally sad for both reggae and ska. WIthout Sir Coxsone, a lot of early ska would never have been recorded, and don't forget Tommy McCook's immense contributions to reggae. It's no small coincidence that he was in "Rockers."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login