Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What songs do you think Willie will perform?

Posted by Pale Ryder 
What songs do you think Willie will perform?
May 04, 2006 11:05PM
Good question, what do you think?
Re: What songs do you think Willie will perform?
May 04, 2006 11:07PM
A few obvious ones but hopefully cracks into some 'Addis Ababa' chune too!
May 04, 2006 11:22PM
Hopefully we will hear!!!!
Master Plan
Rocking Universally
Loafer's Style
Stronger Strong
May 05, 2006 06:01PM
anybody have a "MUST HAVE" list as far as albums are concerned?
I am familiar only with the obvious big tunes but after that, not familiar

Michael
May 05, 2006 06:10PM
I think he might do that one called 'Army Armour Arrmageddon Armagideon Time'.

Observer
May 05, 2006 06:36PM
YOU THINK?
May 05, 2006 07:54PM
>anybody have a "MUST HAVE" list as far as albums are concerned?

i dont want to talk bad about willie williams but i dont think his albums hold up. a good song here and there but overall cant really recommend any albums. the one on blood and fire (messenger man) is ok but nothing spectacular. they butcher one of my favorite tracks by him, rocking universally, by using an inferior version to the 12" and then some really weird editing on the dub version as i recall.

there was one cd called from studio one to drum street that was pretty good all the way through; unfortunately that seems to be out of print. there is a vol 2 currently available and from the track list it looks to have some good cuts on it.

his shaka release natty with a cause and its dub version companion is pretty good too, just kind of inconsistent. havent heard his other shaka release "see me" to give a review of it.

of course his studio one release armagideon time has some great tracks (title track, master plan, maybe one other as i recall) but the rest left me cold.

personally i would look for the stine jac 12" of rocking universally (which is currently available in similar form as a 12" on basic replay but to tell the truth i wasnt much impressed), the first studio one to drum street album and maybe the blood and fire release because my tastes could differ from yours on that one, ernie says its an "essential pick". i would also look for his 80s remake of armagideon time which i think was better than the studio one cut (but im going to get a fight there)...if you really want a great one try:

mykal rose/willie williams: dangerous (2 versions)/armagiden time/version (imag 12"winking smiley

which not only has the ww 80s remake but also a great mykal rose version on the riddim.

heres some other singles and comments:

willie williams & jackie mittoo: come along/repatriation song (10"winking smiley (stine jac)

very nice...i also have what seems to be the original source for this which is even better:

willie williams: armagedion time/justice tonite/repatriation/come along (wln music 12"winking smiley

(note this is the 80s remake of armagideon time)

willi williams & noel ellis: rocking universally/version (7"winking smiley (belleville hill)

better than the 12" on basic replay and the versions on the b&f disk if you ask me

willi williams: unity/version (7"winking smiley (belleville hill)
willi williams: righteousness/every little thing (soul sounds 12"winking smiley
willi williams: unification/live good (soul sounds 12"winking smiley

all three of these are very good bordering on killer.

willie williams: no one can stop us now/version (studio one/soul jazz 12"winking smiley
willie williams: no war/version (7"winking smiley (rockers international)

neither did much for me as i recall but its been a while since ive listened to either.

willie williams is someone whose material get released in small batches and then disappears. a couple years ago he released a slew of 12" on soul sounds (as noted above) and a few cds of his drum street material (including the one mentioned above) but then these seem to have disappeared and not been reissued.

someone really needs to put together a definative willi williams collection of all killer and no filler. i am available for the task if anyone is listening who would legally release it.

one love
jah bill
May 05, 2006 08:06PM
"havent heard his other shaka release "see me" to give a review of it." - JB

Jah Bill - I've always thought that 'See Me' is much better than 'Natty With a Cause' - you might wanna check it if you get the chance. If you get it, I'd be curious to know if you find it better than 'Natty With A Cause'...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login