Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

couple more quick record reviews

Posted by jb welda 
couple more quick record reviews
May 08, 2006 07:46PM
after reading observers comments on that heptones album and realizing the ultimate truth in them, i didnt bother with side two; instead i dug back into the never listened to as yet stacks and dug out a couple others. heres whats what:

escape from hell: tappa records. a dub record in a fine style. this one from observers buddy so im sure he will be more comfortable with the selection than with earl morgan et als thing. now on the outside this appears pretty shabby: poorly printed cover on thin stock, more "gee whiz" liner notes that spread no real information, record itself on thin vinyl with offcenter labels. really no respect for presentation. BUT the main difference here is whats on the record and thats what we all really care about, right? this one full of channel one dub version. again i dont have the record in front of me so im going from memory here but i recognized 6 or so of the 10 riddims and they were presented in fine dubwise style. especially two i recall in particular: one on take five riddim and another on weather balloon riddim. sorry im not coming with more details, but its been since thurs ive listened to it. pretty nice pressing and decent sound as well.

next up was a record i was anxiously awaiting: king tubby dubs the answer. i love the answer riddim and the more famous songs on it (lone ranger: the answer and brigadier jerry: jamaica jamaica as well as pain i believe) so i was really looking forward to hearing this. problem is, you cant really *hear* it. its so low level that i had my rig cranked up half way which in normal circumstances would blow down the walls. here it barely whispered. what i heard sounded good but the problem is you cant hear it. complete trash not worthy of further words. avoid at all costs.

thats all for now folks, later will no doubt be greater.

one love
jah bill
Re: couple more quick record reviews
May 08, 2006 08:08PM
thanks for the review J.B. as usual, I enjoy reading them.
I got into reggae through dub (Garvey's Ghost) so Dub is my first Love.
I'm curious to know what some of your favorite dub records are; the stuff you feel are high grade, heavy weight,"holy mother of pearl this is great Sh@!" material.

Post Edited (05-08-06 13:08)

Michael
May 08, 2006 08:11PM
raiders of the lost dub and garveys ghost (no comments on authenticity or mixing style please) have to rank right up there in my mind michael. frankly i have to be in the mood for dub music; i get most energy and enjoyment from lyrics and a song well sang to be truthful. the dub version is generally just icing on the cake.

one love
jah bill
May 09, 2006 03:40AM
I've been checkin the usual places for raiders of the lost dub (Ernie B's, GEMM ,Amazon)
gemm.com had it for $154.00. I saw a brand new copy on the mango label on ebay and made a bid just not sure if this is a rare record or not.

Michael
May 09, 2006 04:31AM
well i will sell you my copy for 154 $!

but theres a secret: its available on cd but not under that title, instead its time warp dub clash and features entire raiders album plus another albums worth of more modern dub from mad professor, shaka, alpha & omega, dub syndicate etc. ernie doesnt seem to have it in stock at the moment but you should probably be able to find it for less than the price of that record!

one love
jah bill
May 09, 2006 10:51AM
JB, you may be good at what you do but writing record reviews is not your forte. In the first place, it's a good idea to have the record in front of you when reviewing it, and not from memory. It's also a good idea to use capital letters at the beginning of sentences and you really don't need colons within every sentence. Has your 'Escape From Hell' got an X-ray of Taper's napper pierced by bullets. Who wrote the "gee gosh!" sleevenote?

Observer
May 09, 2006 03:55PM
>Who wrote the "gee gosh!" sleevenote?

im guessing since i dont think it was bylined: probably you.

there were four colons in the original post. all were used properly as far as i can see. there is one in the above sentence as well.

thanks for the style pointers. i doubt i will use them. i do what i can and dont take it too seriously. i have a real job to deal with as well, hence not having the record(s) in front of me.

the point is not to show off my writing skills (or lack thereof); the point is to let people know of crucial (imo) releases or warn people off certain records.

one love
jah bill

Post Edited (05-09-06 08:58)
May 09, 2006 06:22PM
I wrote the sleevenotes for three or four of Zukie's albums but I don't remember writing any for 'Escape From Hell'.

Reel
May 09, 2006 07:42PM
i was joking...it didnt seem like your writing and it really is of the "you gotta have this album but i cant think of why" style, that is to say, pretty irrelevant.

i also forgot to mention the dominant keyboard going on, nice organ bubbling courtesy of ansel collins. from memory the personnel seem to consist of
sly and robbie taxi gang but with soul syndicate guitars (chinna smith & tony chin). also plenty for you horn lovers out there with horns standing out in many cases (vin gordon, deadly headley, bobby ellis).

note i finished this post without using a colon. an ellipse (also overused by me) but no colon.

youre welcome.

one love
jah bill
May 09, 2006 08:23PM
Mr Bill is that Raiders of the Lost Dub lp the one with an Indiana Jones pastiche on the cover? A dread with fedora, whip and ting?

Didn't think it was $154 rare, guess I shouldn't have sold it in the Great Vinyl Cull of '92...

Thanks for the tip on finding it on silver vinyl.
May 09, 2006 08:42PM
You can get said Raiders vinyl for GBP24.95 at amazon.co.uk (Used).
May 10, 2006 07:33PM
Jah Bill, this Tosser known as penny reel/the woman/observer obviously doesnt know too much since he has stated that Selassie visited JA in 1965.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login