Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite drums and bass, live or programmed?

Posted by Calireggae 
Midnite drums and bass, live or programmed?
May 10, 2006 06:22AM
I got in a debate over on the VIroots forum as to whether or not the Bass and Drums on the midnite album were recorded live or programed using keyboards and drum machines by ron benjamin. I say they're live, I'm intrested to hear what the people on here (midnite fans or not) think.
Re: Midnite drums and bass, live or programmed?
May 10, 2006 09:56AM
seems like some of each too me.....
May 10, 2006 02:10PM
i think youd have to be more specific as to which album and/or songs your talking about
May 10, 2006 02:15PM
well, for certain on Ras Mek Peace it was all straight up drum kit...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
May 10, 2006 04:32PM
ras mek peace, unpolished, seek knowledge before vengence, scheme a things, ainshant maps, and jah grid are all live instrumentation, the rest of the i-grade albums are a mix. both of the ras-l collabs are electronic i would say, and he is jah is electronic, aulthough batch is a drummer, so a couple songs might have live drums. the branch i releases are a mix of both i beleive.
May 10, 2006 04:54PM
thanks for the feed back, I was asking specifically about the Midnite band albums,
Unpolished, Ras Mek Peace, Seek Knoweldge Before Vengance, Jubilees of Zion, Scheme a Things, and Ainshant Maps.

I agree with Matt's above statement, that the midnite albums plus Jah Grid are all live, that the Ras L are all programed and that the rest are probably a mix.
May 10, 2006 06:38PM
Jubilees is also all live
May 10, 2006 06:40PM
anyone with any musical experience can easily distinguish the real from the unreal

Midnite albums with real drum & bass:
Unpolished, Ras Mek Peace

Midnite/I Grade albums with real drum & bass:
Nemozion Rasta, Assini, Vijan, Jah Grid

Midnite albums with programmed drums & bass:
Jubilees of Zion, Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance, Ainshant Maps, Scheme of Things, Intense Pressure, Thru & True, Full Cup, Current

So, as of 1999, Midnite has not made an album with all live instrumentation.
May 10, 2006 06:48PM
Nothin like that Dion, Phil combo . I used ta love watchin phil touch tha strings on tha neck creating huge sound . aahh tha good ole days ..
May 10, 2006 06:49PM
"So, as of 1999, Midnite has not made an album with all live instrumentation."

By your own admission, Ras Mek Peace and Unpolished were made with live instruments (well, at least you have admitted real drum and base anyway). In 1999, these were the only two albums released by Midnite, and so i am not sure what you are trying to say.... That the Bass & Drum on these albums were 'live', but not the guitar or keyboards???
May 10, 2006 06:59PM
as of 1999, Midnite (the band) has not made an album with all live instrumentation.
seen?
May 10, 2006 07:06PM
No, not seen dubby. Please elaborate on you statement that RMP and Unpolished were not made with live instruments in light of your prior statement that they were made with "real drum and bass"....

And for the record, the only reggae band that I have ever seen use a "Real Bass" is The Skatalites....
May 10, 2006 07:13PM
<RMP and Unpolished were not made with live instruments>

I never said that

Live instrumentation = played by humans touching the actual instrument. Not touching a keyboard or computer. Live instrumentation doesnt exactly mean that it is a 'live' recording like Ras Mek Peace. I'm sure Unpolished wasnt recorded 'live'

PS
I find your Skatalites reference amusing.
May 10, 2006 07:35PM
do you think dubby, that they put musician credits just to make it look like they use actual instruments, or that the musicians sited did the programming?
May 10, 2006 07:36PM
On all "Midnite Band" albums there is no reference to any programing on tha inlay's . I believe on these albums they are touching tha instruments .
May 10, 2006 07:39PM
Unpolished
Ras Mek Peace
Jubilees Of Zion
SKBV
Scheme A Things
Ainshant Maps
May 10, 2006 07:42PM
Highpraise, people believe alot of things. Like seeing the virgin Mary on a piece of toast.

Matt, honestly i'm not sure who touching the buttons. I think Ron Benjamin is playing the drums & bass on his keyboard. The drum sounds (rolls, cymbal hits, etc.) could have been individually recorded by Dion, but played by Ron. The bass...not sure.
May 10, 2006 07:45PM
Are you going strickly on yer ear dubby ?
May 10, 2006 07:50PM
No
Do you want to hear the truth, or do you want me to blow ganja smoke up your ass?

Right now, i am listening to Jubilees of Zion. How freaking obvious is it that the hi-hat and drums are programmed?!?
Its even more obvious on Seek Knowledge, Ainshant Maps, Scheme of Things & especially Intense Pressure.
You think a real hi-hat sounds like that??
May 10, 2006 08:08PM
No one has mentioned the album Let Live. It seems to me that in the credits whenever Tippy is credited to the Drums he is also credited to the Keys, seeming to me that they are digital drum. There are some songs with live drumming but it's always someone other than Tippy credited to them. Do others find this to be true for any other records.
May 10, 2006 08:14PM
Let Live does have a couple live drums tracks (double speak, all the same, + a couple more) i don't think Tippy really plays any live drums on any albums.
May 10, 2006 08:20PM
That's my point, look on the credits for each song if Tippy is the drum player than you know that they are digital.
May 10, 2006 08:33PM
Midnite (the band) only has 7 albums:

1. Unpolished
2. Ras Mek Peace
3. Jubilees of Zion
4. Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance
5. Ainshant Maps
6. Scheme Of Things
7. Intense Pressure

#3-7 are mostly PROGRAMMED

May 10, 2006 11:13PM
i remember when i beleived that i could tell electronic drums by ear too dubby. don't you think that the recording equipment and the mix, etc. effect the sound of the instruments? i don't think i've heard instruments sounding the same on tape as they do live.

and no i don't think that tippy plays drums at all.
May 11, 2006 12:08AM
I speak facts, not opinions.
May 11, 2006 12:08AM
dubby are you also jusdefacts?
May 11, 2006 01:14AM
wha?
May 11, 2006 01:27AM

"Love The Life You Live & Live The Life You Love" Papa Briggy
May 11, 2006 02:11AM
according to www.igraderecords.com - jah grid is all live instrumentation and no programming.

Post Edited (05-10-06 19:13)
May 11, 2006 02:16AM
i posted that for calireggae initial inquiry, not trying to weigh in on dubby's comments.
May 11, 2006 05:50AM
u can see comment #8 on this thread.
May 11, 2006 05:51AM
And for the record, the only reggae band that I have ever seen use a "Real Bass" is The Skatalites....

Earnest Ranglin
May 11, 2006 06:54PM
>anyone with any musical experience can easily distinguish the real from the unreal

I have some musical experience, but have listened carefully to some of these albums and come to different conclusions. however I wouldn't say it was obvious.

>Midnite/I Grade albums with real drum & bass:
Nemozion Rasta, Assini, Vijan, Jah Grid

"Black Congo" from Nemozion Rasta sounds like a drum loop with a live electric bass, so I would put this recording in the "some of both" category
Another example is "Humble Wah?" which is definitely not a "kit" sound

>Midnite albums with programmed drums & bass:
Jubilees of Zion, Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance, Ainshant Maps, Scheme of Things, Intense Pressure, Thru & True, Full Cup, Current

to my ear the bass on "Begin the Day" gets louder or projects more when it goes up to the octave. very characteristic of an electric bass played on the upper register of the "A" string
then there are examples of the use of bass notes that are not individually plucked, but sounded by a "hammer" technique or bass lines that employ a slide or glissando. do you think these sounds were created with the pitch wheel on the keyboard?
for example:
SCHEME A THINGS
You DonĀ“t Know Me
Jah Ovah

Of course none of this really matters at all considering Midnite can and does play
all there songs live. Further it's not really the music that makes Midnite different, it's the information in the lyrics.
boom bless

May 11, 2006 06:58PM
I stand correct Dubgroove. I remember seeing Ernest at Maritime Hall along with Mutabaruka. Not only was there a real "Bass", there was also a piano. As it turns out, this was my very last Maritime Hall concert i witnessed, as the Bunny Wailer show, which had been scheduled for the following month got cancelled....
May 11, 2006 07:13PM
" Studio Magic effects" can give tha Bass and drums a "Programed" sound . -IMO-
May 11, 2006 09:18PM
To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me, since, as Junior Top says, they play their entire catalogue live. To me, their albums are just the next best thing to their live shows, since they haven't realeased a true live album yet (i.e. recorded live at the _______ on dd/mm/yyyy). Their live sets are much better and more inspired than their records anyway.
May 12, 2006 12:51AM
junior top, when i spoke of nemozion & assini being real instruments, i was just talking about the majority of the album.

the best live show i have of midnite is a 3cd set from veterans hall, santa cruz 2004.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login