Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Winston Jarret/Wadi Gad May 19th in Eugene

Posted by Kel-I Bubbler 
Winston Jarret/Wadi Gad May 19th in Eugene
May 12, 2006 01:33AM

5/19 : Winston Jarrett, Wadi Gad, the Jahbandis Band, Jus Goodie, DJ Risingsun
On Friday, May 19, Diezel Group Presents welcomes “The Legends of Roots Reggae Tour” to the WOW Hall with Winston Jarrett (of Righteous Flames, Alton Ellis and The Wailer’s), Wadi Gad (of Don Carlos’ Dub Vision Band and the Boom Shaka Band) and the Jahbandis Band, plus special guests Jus Goodie and DJ Risingsun.

Winston Jarrett is one of reggae music’s true pioneers. Jarrett was born in 1944 and grew up in Kingston’s notorious slum, Trenchtown. In 1965, Alton Ellis recruited Winston and Eggar Gordon (Baby Gee) to form a new harmony group, Alton & The Flames. They were soon recording classic rock steady anthems and went on to score a number of chart hits. After recording many tunes for Duke Reid, the group was lured away by Sir Coxsone who produced more hits. In 1969, Alton moved to England and Winston reformed the group as The Righteous Flames with harmony from Baby Gee. Since then, Winston has recorded hundreds of titles under his own name, as well as a number of pseudonyms. In addition, he has backed up vocalists like Ken Boothe, Marcia Griffiths and Winston Francis. He also worked with Enid Cumberland and Larry Marshall as the Freedom Singers. Survival is the Game (Young Tree Records) is the first ever gathering of Winston Jarrett’s music. This two-disk collection spans his entire career and beautifully illustrates the progression of reggae music.

Trinidad-born Wadi Gad is a drummer, singer, songwriter and producer who over three decades has performed with is a literal "who’s who" of reggae: The I-Threes, Abyssinians, Big Youth, The Itals, Boom Shaka, Ras Michael, U-Roy, Eek-A-Mouse, Terrance Trent D’Arby, Don Carlos, Alton Ellis, Culture, Sister Carol -- and the list continues to grow. Wadi Gad’s latest album, Give Love a Try, was released to critical acclaim. According to The Beat magazine, “this tour de force should help establish once and for all an artist we on the West Coast have known about for years."

Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door, and are available at WOW Hall. Doors open at 9:00 pm and showtime is 9:30. The WOW Hall is located at the corner of 8th and Lincoln in Eugene and is open for all ages. Adult refreshments are available downstairs. For more information please call 687-2746. SHOWTIME: 9:30 PM, PRICE: $12 advance, $15 door.
Re: Winston Jarret/Wadi Gad May 19th in Eugene
May 12, 2006 03:09AM
that should be a great show, dont miss it!

one love
jah bill
May 16, 2006 12:41AM
Also more upcoming shows:

16th May
Caspar Inn – Mendocino, California

19th May
Wow Hall – 21 6th Avenue. Eugene, Oregon

20th May
To Be Announced – Hood River, Oregon

21st May
Tonic Lounge – 3100 NE Sandy Blvd. Portland, Oregon

25th May
Club Ego’s – 668 State St. Salt Lake City, Utah

26th May
Milenium Hotel – Boulder, Colorado

27th May
Café Cero – 1446 South Broadway.Boulder, Colorado

28th May
Buffalo Rose – 1119 Washington Street.Golden, Colorado
May 19, 2006 05:54AM
Tomorrow night
May 19, 2006 07:48AM
It'll be a killer show.I intend to seem mi bredren here in Portland on Sunday.

One love,
Jah Mike

Jah Jah power endureth for i-ver.
May 19, 2006 02:49PM
---> 20th May
---> To Be Announced – Hood River, Oregon

this will be at the River City Saloon, $10 door cover...

[www.rivercitysaloon.com]

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
May 21, 2006 01:55AM
Incredible performance by Jarret, although I am embarrased only about 30 or so people turned out to see this foundation artist(show was booked late and serious lack of promotion). On the upside it seemed like every single person in the house was dancing and loving the true roots/rocksteady vibe. His version of Mellow mood was mind-blowingly smooth and such sweetness I could have listened to that for eternity.

Those who are in Portland, don't miss the River City Saloon show, the price of a couple cups of coffee to see such a high quality singer-a bargain. Hopefully he'll be back to the Pacific NW soon.
May 21, 2006 02:55AM
The Portland show is at Tonic Lounge on the 21st. I think the venue you are talking about is in Hood River. Unfortuantely, those shows have also been very poorly promoted.:-(

May 21, 2006 03:42AM
That's unfortunate, there should have been flyers on every phone pole and kiosk, the man deserves good attendance. Jah Mike you are in for some sweet sounds and a good dance, blessings and enjoy.
May 21, 2006 07:12PM
I innerviewed Wadi & Winston (by phone) after dem perform in Hood River, Wadi seh da place was packed up wall ta wall!!! lookin fi da P-town massive an anyone within drivin' distance ta come out an nah let Hood River's River City Saloon posse out-do wi!!! Wadi & Winston were in HIGH spirits during our short I-view, so look forward ta high vibes tanite...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
May 21, 2006 09:40PM
Ras Danny,

You know I'll be there! In comparing the Portland show to the Hood River show you should remember that the latter was on a Saturday and the former is on a Sunday. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Portland massive with access to motor vehicles hit the Hood River show. It's not that far from Portland. I wouldn't expect the Portland crowd to be huge. I hope I'm wrong.

One love,
Jah Mike

May 22, 2006 10:17PM
As expected the crowd at the portland show was small, but Winstin and Wadi rocked! If this tour is coming to your area, don't miss it! winston told me their next stop is Colorado.

One love,
Jah Mike

May 23, 2006 02:45AM
It's a shame how foundation artists like Winston and Wadi get passed over for all the flavor of the month bands coming through. Hopefully this year's sierra will school people a bit to the importance of foundation artists.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
May 23, 2006 07:03AM
Watch yourself Ras James...if I wrote that, I'd be called a boring old fart and worse...actually I did, and of course they did...
May 24, 2006 04:19AM
Danny is there an archive of your interview? I would like to listen.
May 24, 2006 05:08AM
"watch yourself Ras James...if I wrote that, I'd be called a boring old fart and worse..."

If anyone called me a boring old fart, that might hurt the "young punk who doesn't know s*it" argument I hear a bit more often. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
May 24, 2006 05:27AM
tee hee

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login