Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Queen Ifrica

Posted by Empress 
Queen Ifrica
July 03, 2008 08:55PM
... just can't go wrong.... Fyah Muma .... BOOM!!!!

Ever Forward
Empress
Re: Queen Ifrica
July 03, 2008 08:57PM
I haven't heard one song from this woman in the past year that didn't have me rockin out. Glad she got the exposure she needed to get on with some top shelf producers and put out some really, really great music. So in that way, thanks Warren!

Ever Forward
Empress
July 03, 2008 09:07PM
I H.A.T.E. that Daddy tune.

But yes, she is tops.
July 03, 2008 09:12PM
i agree, she was close to my favorite last year.....for sure...
how does that lyric go...."with a marijuana kiss.....in the moonlight"?
i love all teh ladie singers....i remember queen omega tore it up in frogtown....
that was a nice one.....
still cant get into the one about her father touching her....i understand it is a important issue....but thats just me...dont like that one so much.
July 03, 2008 09:18PM
the tune your thinking of is "Burn some Herb with me" on the Lover's Race riddim. I'm not always a big ganja tune person, but I like that one, so here's the link

[www.imeem.com]

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
July 03, 2008 09:20PM
I'm with you both on Daddy which shows how powerful it/she really is. The song gets under your skin and produces a sour (if not nauseating) response. And that tune hit #1 on the JA charts for a couple weeks. You gotta be pretty darn good if you can make a nauseating message take the top spot on the charts for weeks. Truly amazing.

Ever Forward
Empress
July 03, 2008 09:27PM
I like that lovers race riddim. I was at my campsite at NWWRF two years ago and heard some local reggae/jam band played that "burn some herbs" as a cover.... shudder.....
I want to say it some someone like I-chelle and the Circle of Light.
Totally ruined that song for me for a spell.
July 03, 2008 09:31PM
I've never heard of that band, but the idea of a jamband trying to play a heavy riddim like that is awful.

My personal favorite is the original Sugar Minott tune, but since Imeem doesn't have that up there, he's Sugar Minott & Sizzla on the relick.

[www.imeem.com]

"more than one woman in my life, every one a dem a fight to be my wife. If they would take their respective place, dis ya woulda never be a lover's race"

Post Edited (07-03-08 14:32)

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
July 03, 2008 09:56PM
my favorite ifrica tune. oldie but still my fav

[www.imeem.com]
July 03, 2008 10:49PM
wipe the tears from my eyes is pretty tight also.....i like the sensimilia track to....
i think she is playing in Chicago along with anthony B and Bunny Wailer for a one day festival....i think on Aug 23?
Chi town would be fun....hit that up...maybee a cubs game too....
i think its pretty hot that time of year?
never been to Chi town.
July 03, 2008 11:00PM
even the black uhuru cover she sings is good....
July 03, 2008 11:32PM
She has long been my favorite singer in Jamaica, maybe for four years now. I really am one of her biggest fans as I never get enough. I have very positive feelings towards the song Daddy. It is hard to handle due to the severity of subject matter, but the message is something that I believe will make guilty parties stop and think. I spoke with QI about this song in Jamaica last January and said, "you know QI, every time I hear that song, I am overcome with tears, sometimes to the point of sobbing, and I have never been molested by my father or any relative." She said, "Yuh see, I hear that all the time. The subject matter is crucial."

Thank you Queen Ifrica for not being afraid to tell it like it is and to cause each and every person to retrospect on some of the most important issues facing humanity today. I really love and admire this woman for her strength, character and message.

All photos property of Sista Irie copyright 2008

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
July 04, 2008 08:48AM
>good artist but wouldnt be much without tony rebel's help. . .

-RASpects+
July 04, 2008 09:15AM
Shut up Jahmeek.

I agree with you Sis, she's something special. One of the best artists in Jamaica right now. And with all the hundreds of anti-battyman tunes, it is definitely time to start burning out the raper/molestor man.
July 04, 2008 09:31AM
> trust i chim chim i have been supporting this artist b4 u even knu wat was up and if u do not agree with i commit just listion to one of her interveiws sometime because it is all about the flames production i*mon. . .

-RASpects+
July 04, 2008 02:41PM
Big up to Flames for sure. It's hard to say whether she would have moved up so fast without Tony's help. Her spots on Rebel Salute over the past years definitely gave impetus to her reputation. Tony also has great networking skills. On the other hand, he has helped others who maybe weren't as talented as she so Queen Ifrica deserves plenty raspect for that. It's nice to see one hand helping the next and all need to be recognized, especially the dj's who have promoted the Queen all over the world. Big up reggae, big up Flames and BIG UP the mighty Empress!

July 04, 2008 04:44PM
Queen Ifrica has benefitted from working with Flames Productions, but that's essentially no different than DJ Whomever coming up through somebody's sound system. Happens all the time. But there's a lot in this queen's bag -- lyrical incisiveness, range of material and a charisma which is entirely her own. Ifrica breaks the industry mold that says women artists should be either sweet ingenues or badass sexpots. I'm glad she's getting the airplay and the performing opportunities. I think her catalog beats any female artist's of the last five or ten years.

And Sista Irie, those are some great concert shots.
July 04, 2008 09:54PM
I think the power and success of the "Daddy" tune is truly remarkable. As has been said above, many find it very uncomfortable or disturbing to listen to the song (and even more so, watch the music video!), and Ifrica's ability to command their attention and send the song up the charts anyways says a lot about her musical power.

I'd also point out that a feature of many great works of art (as contrasted with "entertainment"winking smiley is that they are disturbing or unpleasant to the viewer, and may challenge the viewer's fundamental assumptions, both about what is expected for the artistic medium in question and about life/reality in general. In all these aspects, "Daddy" succeeds brilliantly - it's like a reggae version of Francis Bacon painting. It's not supposed to be pretty, but it affects you deeply.
July 04, 2008 11:25PM
It's hard to miss when you have such a striking image such as Queen Ifrica. She is a photographer's dream come true.

July 05, 2008 04:31PM
Got the Daddy tune from Shashemani sounds on a mix cd, and I really thought it to be a powerful jam. My wife is disturbed by it.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
July 05, 2008 04:44PM
As muta likes to say "The people NEED to be disturbed".....
July 05, 2008 04:57PM
True, that. I've heard Muta's expression another way -- that good art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
July 05, 2008 05:41PM
Disrupt the peaceful!! O wait...no, that would be bad.

April 01, 2009 03:37AM
Once again, the woman nails it with "Lioness on the Rise!"

BOOM!!

Ever Forward
Empress
April 01, 2009 03:45AM
tru, sis, love that tune!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 01, 2009 12:22PM
Flames sent an email this week saying QI has a new cd coming out hopefully this summer.

Post Edited (04-01-09 05:57)

April 01, 2009 08:07PM
I love that Mutabaruka quote Michael!

"Love the Life you Live, Live the Life you Love"
April 02, 2009 03:13PM
>Flames sent an email this week saying QI has a new cd coming out hopefully this summer.

Looking forward to that!

Ever Forward
Empress
April 02, 2009 03:41PM
It was on this day (Garnet Silk's Earthstrong) 9 years ago that I first saw this strong young women opening up for Mikey and Luci at a show in JA. It was my first trip down there, and I was so excited to be going to a sweet show on such a date. After getting there I soon became disapointed to find that nobody even seemed to know that it was Garnet's birthday. That was until Ifrica came on singing 'Who is like unto thee oh Haile Selassie" as you can imagine I was quite moved! We met later that night and bonded over Mr. Silk, for he was someone who had made a great impression pon both of us and greatly impacted our lives. Back in those days she always came out singing a Garnet tune for he was the one who mek her start sing. If you ever ask Tony how they met the story is much the same.
Also if anyone has a rec. or her set @ snwmf, please link me. I would love to get a copy of it, as she livicated the Silk song she sang that day to my son and me.
April 02, 2009 03:51PM
Here's a couple

April 02, 2009 04:02PM
Thanks seen those, it's the Garnet song she sang that I'm looking for
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login