Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who Killed King Tubby?

Posted by papa ray 
papa ray
Who Killed King Tubby?
December 06, 2005 02:45PM
Not only a song theme for Lee Perry & Screaming Target, but a question
that keeps recurring to me over the years. The manner of this murder somehow suggest it was more than a robbery. Any comments, massive?

When I heard that Tubby had been gunned down in front of his home, I remember calling the Gleaner in Kingston to confirm this. The voice on the phone was
mildly evasive, or perhaps he just had no clue beyond the fact this genius
of Jamaica was indeed dead. I remember saying to him 'if this can happen to
Tubby, all bets are off in Jamaica---why should I as a foreign man feel safe?? '
As it worked out, it was more than 7 years before I visited Jamaica again.

Who Killed King Tubby?
The man
Re: Who Killed King Tubby?
December 06, 2005 02:47PM
Don Letts.

Observer
papa ray
December 06, 2005 02:55PM
Oh Mistuh Man 'ah wuz hopin' fo' mo' than jes' one-liners...you sho' nuff clown
howevuh!
jb welda
December 06, 2005 04:29PM
lee perry evidently thinks it was bunny lee and i wonder why he never got sued over that.

but as to your statement about if kt could be killed who would be safe...well, sounds to me like kt moved like a normal man which of course he was. and the reality of the world is, no one is safe but especially not if you walk the streets and especially if you walk the streets of kingston and ESPECIALLY if it is known youre a man of some (monetary) substance.

back to the question, ive been told more than once that its not healthy asking questions like that. told that with a totally straight face. so i dropped it like a hot rock.

one love
jah bill
The man
December 06, 2005 04:43PM
Lee Perry is wrong and know it. He's a ginal jester. King Tubby and Bunny Lee were very close friends and Tubbs mixed more music for Striker than he did for anyone else. Tubbs had money and a gun which excited a thief. Striker has more money and probably more guns. I think it was an idle robber.

Reel
jb welda
December 06, 2005 05:10PM
>King Tubby and Bunny Lee were very close friends

i guess the operative word there is "was" and that must have been true even before kt was killed. why else would lee perry write lyrics like "at the bunny lee deading" (instead of "wedding"winking smiley and hateful stuff like that? i dont think he was joking either or it was a serious joke. man dont talk like that unless they are willing to back it up. i dont believe lee perry either but i dont think they could have been very close friends at the time of his murder for perry to write stuff like that about him.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
December 06, 2005 05:11PM
>i guess the operative word there is "was"

sorry i should have said:

i guess the operative word there is "were"

need to watch my mis-quotes

one love
jah bill
TR-808
December 06, 2005 06:28PM

> I think it was an idle robber.

this is the best theory i am aware of

persons who were close to Tubbs say this, and i defer to them

--
The man
December 06, 2005 07:14PM
Bill, one day Lee Perry hates Striker, the next they're best of friends again. When Striker was asked about that "deading" business and Slim Smith he just laughed, or chuckled gleefully. Basically, it's just Scratch playing with words in his usual spiteful way.

Reel
December 06, 2005 09:02PM
i continue to assume it was a lone robber looking for dollars and more likely his gun. solid, have you heard the special rodigan did in tribute to the king right after the murder? it's fantastic stuff, although towards the end he calls jammy in ja and he tries to answer rodigan's questions but is just sobbing with grief. i can never hear it without crying. it is so moving; that bond was tremendous.

m.

TR-808
December 06, 2005 09:06PM

> solid, have you heard the special rodigan did
> in tribute to the king right after the murder?

have heard it, but don't have it.. was supposed to get it from someone a few times, but lagging in the arena you know

i'm betting you that if i were to get you the several pieces i already should i could ask nicely.

too bad it's looking like my cd burner has just been demoted and is now just a cd warmer (won't finalize...)..

arrggggggghhhhh

--
TR-808
December 06, 2005 09:09PM

> solid, have you heard the special rodigan did
> in tribute to the king right after the murder?

and speaking of murder

that is one serious and heavy set...

--
papa ray
December 06, 2005 09:31PM
1ST TIME I heard that Perry diatribe against Striker I said 'DAMMnnn, some bad
blood there...'. Perhaps Penny, it wuz just a robber that murdered a foundation part of the Jamaican brain-trust. I know you vouch & respect Mr. Lee. It is
a opinion not shared by all---my early 80s traipsings thru music circles in Kingston provided some very dark allegations and claims against him(which of course
yuh take w/ a pound of salt & know just hearing don't make it true). But,
he happened to be the first producer I heard roundly cursed by some. Goes
w/ the territory you could say.

I have been employed in the music biz 31 years, witnessed & heard of enuff chicanery/f**kry/& badness in the game here in the States(my bizness partner ran a record store in Boston for Morris Levy, a mafia-man my associate fled from after less than 18 months---w/ Levy's blessing..."hey, we're straight, you were honest & never involved w/ anything bad" he wuz told) , but the runnin's in reggae are just too much. For a hot 30 seconds in the early 80s I thought of opening a store in some part of Jamaica, a concept not followed. Even met briefly w/ a major Kingston distributor-manufacturer, who smiled broadly and said to my query, Would an American be allowed to do bizness, 'WE WOULD WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS!' I remember feeling a little quesy @ that moment leaving his office.

I woulda probably been plucked well-clean. This is not to question anything but
my ability to swim w/ the musical sharks in the most competitive part of the
world music bizness, Reggae.
papa ray
December 06, 2005 09:35PM
TR 808, would love to hear that one. And regarding gossip, and hear-say in the music industry of Jam-down, after all, it wuz Perry and Bunny who once put
out a nice talking rekkud abt their profession called 'Labbrish".
Fleximix
December 06, 2005 11:41PM
A robbery to gain possession of KT's gun seems the most believable motive.
Yet another example of ruthless JA crime,
I just don't buy the conspiracy theories, especially since KT's competitors were his best friends & as we all know LSP is somewhat well known for spouting a load of complete nonsense,
A deadly robbery just makes more sense to me than some convoluted Jamaican Macbeth story,
What you hear about cops that get shot is its always the 'nice guy', for they trust people more and lack the killer instinct to blow someone away in that crucial split second,
It was probably the same with KT,
FWIW - I'm sure the killer probably met an untimely fate seeing as those who live by the sword tend to die by the sword there,
Wasn't one of the Hookim brothers from Channel One also killed for his gun?
jb welda
December 07, 2005 12:49AM
i thought i burned you a copy of that solid? maybe it was sanjay...

one love
jah bill
TR-808
December 07, 2005 01:14AM

> burned you a copy of that solid? maybe it was sanjay...

yep

that's the "someone i was supposed to get it from"... we always get sidetracked over there.
December 07, 2005 04:50AM
id like to hear that too...anyone want to upload it? ill host it on my server and anyone can download it then..
jb welda
December 07, 2005 05:16AM
i would advise against posting this on the web without permission from david rodigan.

email me and maybe i can help you

justw@dgweb.com

one love
jah bill

December 07, 2005 06:48AM
lee perry came to my house-
well, the house I am moving to this strong

blessed by the Upsetter- he said it is the ark ina the southwest !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login